SVG already on Vince Carter's case for bad Defense

MainEv3nt

Vince Carter -- the eight-time All-Star -- caught Van Gundy's wrath Wednesday, just the second day of training camp. Often treated with kid gloves during his time in New Jersey, Carter became the example of what not to do late in the morning practice.

"He (Carter) did not play well defensively today. He didn't do a good job out there. He's capable of doing a lot better, and that's what I want to see," Van Gundy said. "As a matter of fact, we'll talk to him about that and show him some (film) clips tomorrow."

Van Gundy was particularly upset when Carter fell asleep on one defensive possession, allowing J.J. Red*ck to catch and score on a back-door play.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/30/van-gundy-takes-vince-carter-to-task-defensively/

• Owner

His bad D can't be much worse than Hedo :lol: . A bad defender is tolerable a lazy defender isn't.

Turkoglu actually tried to play defense in the Finals, and had a couple of stretches where he did well against Bryant, including that block on an attempted game-winner (which was in traffic, but still credited to Hedo).

Carter doesn't play it, and he doesn't want to play it. Bad defender AND a lazy one. His perimeter defense used to be okay back in Toronto (okay as in average), but it dropped off significantly near the end of his time there, and since then, he has been beaten to the rim and abused in the post multiple times.

If it's from his previous injuries, that's fine...but I think it has a lot to do with effort as well.

Defense is a lot about effort.

SVG is a good coach, calling out an all star that is new to the team right away. That shows he's an honest coach and will let you know that he's unhappy and wants you to do better.

I think Vince can do better, he use to be an amazing player but then he just got lazy IMO. I hope he gets fired up again since he's on a championship caliber team, I use to love watching him play in Toronto.

Thats ki n da coach i like. More like Bill cowher he will get under your [expletive] if u make mistake or do something stupid. SVG kinda like that and rather you a big superstar it dont make difference to him. He wants this team to play the best effort as u can.

Turkoglu actually tried to play defense in the Finals, and had a couple of stretches where he did well against Bryant, including that block on an attempted game-winner (which was in traffic, but still credited to Hedo).

Carter doesn't play it, and he doesn't want to play it. Bad defender AND a lazy one. His perimeter defense used to be okay back in Toronto (okay as in average), but it dropped off significantly near the end of his time there, and since then, he has been beaten to the rim and abused in the post multiple times.

If it's from his previous injuries, that's fine...but I think it has a lot to do with effort as well.

You may be right, because for some reason, Kobe shoots horribly against him every game. He may be motivated or something to give a little extra effort when defending Kobe. I really don't know what it is, I haven't watched any Nets vs Lakers games, but check these stats:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/548/vincevskobe.jpg

Those are all of Kobe's games against the Nets from the 2004-05 season to now.

• Owner

The Nets double Kobe every game. I rarely see Vince holding Bryant one-on-one.

That's like me saying that Ray Allen does very well against Bryant, also. He "defends" Bryant half of the time (Pierce the other half), but neither of them are solely responsible for Kobe shooting the ball instead of driving to the rim. Much more factored in.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he will do great offensively, and there really doesn't need to be an explanation to explain piss poor defense.

So any player that is good offensively is one dimensional? He can defend, he just never tried to. His teams have sucked and he has never had a good coach until this season. SVG should push him to his full defensive potential.

So any player that is good offensively is one dimensional? He can defend, he just never tried to. His teams have sucked and he has never had a good coach until this season. SVG should push him to his full defensive potential.

He can't defend, hasn't tried to defense which is even worse, and if he even remotely defends, he is completely inconsistent.

I really want to know why people think Carter will magically get his Tinman heart back.

Best team he's ever had

Best teammate he's ever had

Best coach he's ever had

Stage of his career where he wants to win more than ever

Playing for his hometown

We all know what Vince can do when he's motivated.

Edited by Legacy

Best team he's ever had

Best teammate he's ever had

Best coach he's ever had

Stage of his career where he wants to win more than ever

Playing for his hometown

We all know what Vince can do when he's motivated.

:lol: We all know what Yao can do when he's healthy. I've moved on from the when healthy, when motivated, when sexy, when black, when X stage.

Carter has a reputation on playing for underachieving teams, see 2007 Nets. So don't be surprised if this Magic team underachieves either.

The Nets double Kobe every game. I rarely see Vince holding Bryant one-on-one.

That's like me saying that Ray Allen does very well against Bryant, also. He "defends" Bryant half of the time (Pierce the other half), but neither of them are solely responsible for Kobe shooting the ball instead of driving to the rim. Much more factored in.

Exactly, not to mention Kobe gets big assist games against Carter anyways. Who says missing is considered stopping?

:lol: We all know what Yao can do when he's healthy. I've moved on from the when healthy, when motivated, when sexy, when black, when X stage.

Carter has a reputation on playing for underachieving teams, see 2007 Nets. So don't be surprised if this Magic team underachieves either.

Carter took the Nets in his first season to a way better record then expected. Who did the Nets have? A rookie in Nenad Krstic, and two players that were not playing or playing at only half their skill level because of injures. Carter took that team into the playoffs by himself when it looked like all the odds were stacked against them.

And what about the Nets from last season? Everyone said that they would be last place, and they surpassed their expectations. Vince Carter played with heart till the last game. Even when they were eliminated from the playoffs and Harris got injured, he would still bust his [expletive] every minute. He was a good leader for that young team.

Let's go even deeper, how about the Raptors team that went into the eastern conference semi-finals? Who did he have on that team? His only other teammate to actually average over double figures was Antonio Davis.

And he did not underachieve with the 2007 Nets. They had no depth on the team and Lawrence Frank was an inexperienced coach.

I'm sick of people saying Vince plays with no heart. He only did it for like a season. I bet over half the league doesn't try 100 percent of the time.

Edited by Legacy

Carter took the Nets in his first season to a way better record then expected. Who did the Nets have? A rookie in Nenad Krstic, and two players that were not playing or playing at only half their skill level because of injures. Carter took that team into the playoffs by himself when it looked like all the odds were stacked against them.

And what about the Nets from last season? Everyone said that they would be last place, and they surpassed their expectations. Vince Carter played with heart till the last game. Even when they were eliminated from the playoffs and Harris got injured, he would still bust his [expletive] every minute. He was a good leader for that young team.

Let's go even deeper, how about the Raptors team that went into the eastern conference semi-finals? Who did he have on that team? His only other teammate to actually average over double figures was Antonio Davis.

And he did not underachieve with the 2007 Nets. They had no depth on the team and Lawrence Frank was an inexperienced coach.

I'm sick of people saying Vince plays with no heart. He only did it for like a season. I bet over half the league doesn't try 100 percent of the time.

Actually if you read my article, I actually predicted the Nets to make the playoffs in the 8th seed, but that was just me though. I think that just goes to show you he posts empty stats. He gets his numbers, but they don't necessarily help his team win. In 2007, I heard and saw people say the Nets were going to win their division. Maybe it was actually 2008, because I remember People saying the Nets would have a better record than the Big Three Celtics.