Heat's Michael Beasley likely to start at small forward

Warren2ThaG

Heat's Michael Beasley likely to start at small forward

"The Heat's pecking order at small forward finally has last year's second overall draft pick at the No. 1 spot.

Michael Beasley has emerged from a crowded field and is poised to be in the starting lineup for Miami's preseason opener Monday at Detroit.

Beasley opened Sunday's scrimmage with the first-team group that featured Mario Chalmers and Dwyane Wade in the backcourt, Udonis Haslem at power forward and Jermaine O'Neal at center.

The transition for Beasley from power forward to the perimeter has been in progress for months. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Sunday he has been impressed with how Beasley has performed at a high level consistently at both forward spots during training camp.

Still, Spoelstra remained coy in confirming Beasley's status as the starter.

``[i'm] not officially going to disclose, but that's probably the direction,'' Spoelstra said after a 12-minute scrimmage session that the team opened to the media. ``Michael's in incredible shape. It's not hands on knees. His mind is not on other things. In every way, you can tell he's a highly-conditioned athlete.''

---

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/1266651.html

It's good to see Beasley gaining some versatility. He has done a lot of point guard drills over the summer to help his transition to the wing position.

I figured that James was going to be at the top of the depth chart at SF, but I suppose he'll be coming off the bench instead. It'll be interesting to see who wins the battle for minutes at the wing positions between James, Yahkouba, Daequan, Dorell, Beasley, and Quentin. I guess Beas will start, and JJ will come off the bench for him. Daequan and Quentin will probably get time at SG depending on who's hot at 3. As for Dorell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an oversized back-up PG. He has the handles and court vision to do it, and enough quickness to defend the position as well. It would be a good way to add size to the Heat's line up, plus both he and Q-Rich have a great friendship with D-Wade, it would be interesting to see the chemistry of having those 3 on the court together.

• Owner

It's a great thing for Beasley to start. He needs to be put in there with the big dogs now, and benefit by playing off of Wade. It'll help his development, not having such a big role, scoring-wise.

If he comes off the bench, he'd be expected to lead them, and possibly average 17-20 points per game. In addition, even though Wade will be playing with both the starters and the second unit, Beasley would probably get at least a quarter of play in without Wade, and that's not a good thing.

I want to see Beas become a part of the offense this season. He was basically left out of plays last season and stuck out on the wing...when he would be a better presence inside. Beasley is a PF-in-waiting but a better fit for the heat in the 3-spot as long as Haslem is still around.

Now that we've added some depth at point with Arroyo's signing, my biggest concern is at center. Jermaine looked like a shadow of his former self last season and put up some pathetic numbers after the trade from Toronto.

I want to see Beas become a part of the offense this season. He was basically left out of plays last season and stuck out on the wing...when he would be a better presence inside. Beasley is a PF-in-waiting but a better fit for the heat in the 3-spot as long as Haslem is still around.

Now that we've added some depth at point with Arroyo's signing, my biggest concern is at center. Jermaine looked like a shadow of his former self last season and put up some pathetic numbers after the trade from Toronto.

think beasley is gonna shine there