Should Atlanta Run More?

Do you think that the Hawks should try and implement a faster paced system next season and try to get out in transition and run? If you look at their roster they are one of the most, if not the most athletic teams in the entire NBA (at least starting 5) as aside from Bibby, all of their starters are good athletes respective to their positions. Smith and Horford might be the most athletic 4/5 duo in the entire NBA and guys like Williams and Johnson both have the athletic ability and shooting ability to thrive in a fast paced system. Bibby is also a very good shooter and a smart player.

So do you think that the Hawks should run more next season and try to play a faster paced game rather than walking the ball up court like they usually do? Why or why not?

• Owner

Most definitely, unless Josh Smith puts on 35 pounds and hits 6-11. They need to use Smith as much as possible, flash him to the rim and put the ball near it. Josh would flourish with someone like Nash in the Suns' offense, and that's what the Hawks need to run with (no pun intended).

It helps that Bibby can hit from long range, also. In a way, you can say that you have your poor man's version of the Suns, with Smith being Marion (defense, slashing, hybrid PF) and Horford (undersized center, scoring, no defense) and Bibby (point that can shoot, no defense).

Honestly, a solid coach could be the missing link.

• Owner

Does anybody have their pace numbers? I always thought the Hawks did jet up and down the court as often as possible.

From what I've seen of them, they do run, but not as frequently as a team like Phoenix. They do bring the ball up and act like they are playing half court basketball with Duncan in the post, sometimes.

Does anybody have their pace numbers? I always thought the Hawks did jet up and down the court as often as possible.

Basketball Reference had their pace factor at 89.6 which was 24th out of 30.

From what I remember, they did start off the year by getting up and down the floor as much as possible but when Smith got hurt they basically stopped running and even when he came back they didn't run much.

• Owner

Yeah, that's what I figured, Sean. Smith would be fantastic to run with. I'm just not sure why they stopped.

Just for kicks, the Hawks were 6-0 to start the season, although Smith did miss the last two of those first six games.

The Hawks were also 6-7 without Smith.

They were also 34-18 with Horford, Johnson, Smith and Bibby in the starting five, which is on pace to winning 55 games.

Basketball Reference had their pace factor at 89.6 which was 24th out of 30.

From what I remember, they did start off the year by getting up and down the floor as much as possible but when Smith got hurt they basically stopped running and even when he came back they didn't run much.

Wow, that's lower than I expected. I don't think they should be chaotic, but their strengths are their teamwide athleticism. They should run as much as possible.

On the other hand, they're not a great defensive team or rebounding team. That makes it a bit harder for them to run.