Arenas fined 25K

WASHINGTON — The NBA is making Gilbert Arenas — and the Washington Wizards — pay for his silence.

Arenas and his team were fined $25,000 apiece Tuesday by the league because he has not been talking to the media during the preseason, including before and after exhibition games.

The three-time All-Star point guard became one of the NBA’s most popular players thanks in part to his engaging personality and a willingness to speak his mind, including via a wide-ranging blog.

But he stopped producing the blog and steadfastly has been refusing to do interviews since the Wizards held their official media day on Sept. 28. Asked by a reporter last week when he’d begin speaking again, Arenas said it would happen only after the NBA tells him he has to talk.

It was at that media day that Arenas signaled his intention to keep quiet, declaring, “I’m not the entertainer anymore.”

“I don’t feel like speaking anymore. I just want to go out there and play,” he said that day. “If I’m not going to get fined, I don’t think you’re going to hear me again. I don’t have a blog. I don’t have a tweeter. When I was entertaining, all you guys focused on was my words. Now I’d rather you just focus on my basketball.”

Team spokesman Scott Hall said Tuesday that neither Arenas nor the Wizards would have any comment on the fines. The Wizards were in Grand Rapids, Mich., to play an exhibition game against the Detroit Pistons on Tuesday night.

Arenas is returning after playing a total of only 15 games during the past two seasons following three operations on his left knee over 1½ years. The last surgery came in September 2008, and later that month, Arenas ducked out of Washington’s media day without talking — drawing fines of $15,000 each for him and his team.

Arenas is entering the second season of an $111 million, six-year contract.

His health is considered key to the Wizards’ turning things around after a 19-63 season in 2008-09.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4557062&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Edited by Eastcoast Assassin

I actually posted this article because of this:

“I don’t feel like speaking anymore. I just want to go out there and play,” he said that day. “If I’m not going to get fined, I don’t think you’re going to hear me again. I don’t have a blog. I don’t have a tweeter. When I was entertaining, all you guys focused on was my words. Now I’d rather you just focus on my basketball.”

• Owner

I actually posted this article because of this:

Right, but that doesn't change my perception of him until he proves it on the court. It's good though. I don't like how players have Twitter, but I guess it's cool because they interact with fans...the problem was always how Arenas promised things and talked mad game through his blog, but then failed to back that up, that's all.

But props to him for not wanting to blog anymore, and focus on the game. Will he change his game? He may have to, in light of the news about his finger...but that doesn't have anything to do with the blog in the first place, in my opinion. Blogging or not, Arenas has to change.

With all of that said, he still has to talk to the media, even if he gives them BS. That's on him. Kobe used to do it all the time, where he was quiet and gave them BS to write down (practically nothing), but he was criticized for it, and he changed.

I agree 100% with you, but it's the fact that people still believe he has a loud mouth which pisses me off. You have to realize Arenas is a changed man with a chip on his shoulder, and if he plays like he has been in the pre season, then everyone will notice it.

His playing style right now, is very similar to what Kobe does almost on a constant basis. He passes and gets his teammates involved in the first half, and attacks and gets his points in the second half. That's how a star should play, and I think Arenas realizes it.

It's only a matter of 2 weeks before he proves it. I'm not guaranteeing anything, because I cannot predict the future, but I have a feeling he will prove the critics wrong.

LOL, Agent Zero finally spoke to the media....briefly....

Arenas came back from the shower, put on his backpack and lowered his head. He was ready for the Q&Arenas. Here is the full transcript. Enjoy.

Q: Do you have any comment on the fine you received today?

Arenas: "Nope."

Q: Do you think the game tonight was a sign of progress?

Arenas: "Yeah, both teams played hard."

Q: How are you feeling out there on the court?

Arenas: "I feel fine."

Q: What are your thoughts on Will Bynum?

Arenas: "He's coming along well."

Q: Anything else about tonight's game?

Arenas: "No."

Q: Do you feel good about the way things are going right now, feel good about the way you are playing, feel comfortable about the new coaching staff?

Arenas: "Yep."

Q: What can you say about Flip and how is he different than what you've experienced here before?

Arenas: "He's just bringing something different than the last coach."

Q: What in particular is he bringing that's different?

Arenas: (Six second pause) "What was the question again?"

Q: What are your impressions of Flip? What has he brought to this team so far?

Arenas: "It's too early to tell. Maybe next month, I'll have a better answer for you"

Q: Do you have anything to say about the fine today?

Arenas: "Nope."

Q: No comment?

Arenas: "Nope"

The end.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/10/arenas-speaks----finally-brief.html