Bears sign QB Cutler to contract extension through 2013

Cobb

Source: NFL.com

It took Jay Cutler just five games to decide that he wants to stay in Chicago.

The Pro Bowl quarterback signed a two-year contract extension with the Bears on Tuesday. The deal, which runs through the 2013 season, includes about $20 million guaranteed and roughly $30 million in new money, a league source told NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora.

Acquired in a blockbuster trade from the Denver Broncos during the offseason, Cutler has completed 110 of 172 passes for 1,201 yards and 10 touchdowns with seven interceptions this season while leading the Bears to a 3-2 record. With a 64.0 completion rate and 240.2 passing yards per game, he's on pace to set franchise single-season records in each category.

Drafted 11th overall by the Broncos in 2006, Cutler has thrown for 10,225 yards and 64 touchdowns with 44 interceptions while completing 872 of 1,392 passes in his NFL career.

Cutler made his first Pro Bowl last season while setting a Broncos record with 4,526 passing yards, but a falling out with new coach Josh McDaniels ultimately led to the trade to Chicago. In return, the Broncos acquired quarterback Kyle Orton, who has led Denver to a 6-0 start, along with two first-round picks and a third-rounder.

Good news for Bears fan but is he worth the money?

Edited by Papi Chulo Cobb

• Owner

Cutler has the potential to be one of the best QB's in Bears' franchise history, to be honest. I can't stand him because of how he left the Broncos (even though I hate Denver, also), but you can't deny that he's got a lot of potential in Chicago, and they've been searching for a QB for a while now, especially after Rex's flop.

Huge deal for a prime time d-bag. I'm not sold on it yet to be honest. That O-Line needs a ton of work and they need to improve at the WR position and put a big time possession receiver alongside Hester.

The window for that defense is closing fast though. I think the Bears will have to start rebuilding on that side of the ball soon.

Huge deal for a prime time d-bag. I'm not sold on it yet to be honest. That O-Line needs a ton of work and they need to improve at the WR position and put a big time possession receiver alongside Hester.

The window for that defense is closing fast though. I think the Bears will have to start rebuilding on that side of the ball soon.

Haha, we always seem to agree. I think by the time they get that offense where they want it, the defense is gonna be long gone.

Cutler's not a bad QB. If anything, he's played much better since his opening performance against Green Bay, throwing 9 TDs and only 3 INTs.

Oh yeah, and he has the potential to be great.

If anything, this is better than the Tony Romo deal. Looks like Jerry Jones wasted another $60 million.

Edited by Mentch

What are you guys suggesting? That Chicago shouldn't secure their franchise because of inadequacies at other positions? You guys know they still intend to build around him, right?

That's fine and dandy but what has Cutler proven to show that he's a "franchise player". He's overrated IMO.

He's a good QB and yeah after the last few QB's they've had I don't blame them for locking up the first decent one they got. However, once they get the offense where they want it, they're going to have to rebuild that defense from top to bottom.

Looks like the ones who are making fun of the move are Packers fans and Broncos fans so take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Cutler is a top 10 QB in the league and has a ton of potential to be one of the very best. Anytime you get a top 10 QB who is only 25 you lock him up... no questions asked. QB is the most important position in football and the hardest to find a capable starter at. Don't see how this move is anything, but awesome for the Bears.

The bears have already begone rebuilding the defense. Both very young safety's, ones a rookie. Opposite corner of tillman, bowman, is in his second year. Defensive ends are getting old, made a trade for anthony gaines who will be able to take over once oguneley is finished. Defensive tackles are still young, but would like to see a replacement for tommie harris, hes no longer dominant anymore. Linebackers, will probably need to draft a new mlb within the next year-2 to replace urlacher.

That's fine and dandy but what has Cutler proven to show that he's a "franchise player". He's overrated IMO.

He's a good QB and yeah after the last few QB's they've had I don't blame them for locking up the first decent one they got. However, once they get the offense where they want it, they're going to have to rebuild that defense from top to bottom.

He's an upper-tier quarterback at 26 years, with excellent prospects. Whether or not he's overrated is arguable. What isn't is his franchise status.

Chicago does have to shore up other areas, but that doesn't dispute anything.