What are we doing wrong?

Is it our lack of defense, our horrible shot selection, or our failure to have any continuity? We don't look like a team, and we're sure as hell not playing like one. I want to hear other fans opinions on what we're doing wrong, because I feel like we need a miracle to have any shot at the playoffs.

Not to sound like a hater but your team just has not near enough talent to make the playoffs. Most your starters should be coming off playoff team benches/generally be role players. You should just be happy if your pick isn't top 6 or 7 for the Jazz. The East is as tough as ever, the Raps and Wiz are going to be fighting for playoff spots and both of those teams have way more talent then the Knicks.

It feels like the Knicks are just a bunch of random talent put on a team and expected to put up wins, you don't have a first option caliber player and I wouldn't even call Harrington a 2nd option scorer on a playoff team. There is a reason this entire team is expiring in 2010 and it is because none of them are in the Knicks future plans.

EDIT- Why is Jordan Hill not getting minutes? They drafted him over Jennings and aren't giving him minutes? Jennings could have been getting 15+ minutes for them or even starting, Walsh is an idiot.

Edited by travesy3

Not to sound like a hater but your team just has not near enough talent to make the playoffs. Most your starters should be coming off playoff team benches/generally be role players. You should just be happy if your pick isn't top 6 or 7 for the Jazz. The East is as tough as ever, the Raps and Wiz are going to be fighting for playoff spots and both of those teams have way more talent then the Knicks.

It feels like the Knicks are just a bunch of random talent put on a team and expected to put up wins, you don't have a first option caliber player and I wouldn't even call Harrington a 2nd option scorer on a playoff team. There is a reason this entire team is expiring in 2010 and it is because none of them are in the Knicks future plans.

EDIT- Why is Jordan Hill not getting minutes? They drafted him over Jennings and aren't giving him minutes? Jennings could have been getting 15+ minutes for them or even starting, Walsh is an idiot.

Jordan Hill should be playing a lot more. I don't understand Mike's intent of sitting him, he actually went in last night and played well. About the playoff discussion I know what you're saying, but I still have a little bit of hope we'll play better and take the 8th seed, I know it's a long shot and all but I have hope. I also feel like we just took a bunch of role players and stuck them together for a team and see how'd they would play. I love David Lee, but he's a PF not a Center, our D is abysmal, and D'antoni isn't really being touch on the players.

I'll tell you exactly whats wrong, our terrible defense puts pressure on our offense to shoot 60% and our players just can't do it. Jordan Hill isn't playing because you can tell he just isn't ready. His basketball IQ is terrible, he needs to spend a few months learning the game in the NBA and then he should be ready to participate. I don't know, maybe it's just that we are all slumping. Missing easy shots and then when that happens we settle for 3's. When the 4th quarter rolls around and we D up and don't settle for [expletive]ty shots we actually do better than most teams. They say Hughes and Harrington called a team meeting, I was hoping they would address those problems but after watching the Cavs game they looked worse! They better get thing right in Milwaukee because this is getting out of hand quickly.

• Owner

Simply put, D'Antoni is an offensive-minded coach that is running an offense that's lacking offense. Confusing?

If he was back in Phoenix, he could get away with it because the Suns would pour in 110 points per night, coming out with 50-60 wins.

But it's not difficult to stop a team that has mediocre offense and bad defense, especially when the coach doesn't want to play defense. All you need to do is outscore the team and get a few stops here and there, and you're off to the races with another win.

That's the Knicks in a nutshell.

• Owner

Every team needs that one player that can be the leader the Knicks dont have that

That's actually a good point, too. There isn't that one go-to guy that can carry the team on his back through muddy waters. Chandler? Harrington? I know Al just dropped 40 a few games back, but he can't do that when called upon, not against teams set out to make his life miserable. They need LeBron or Wade, and that's why the organization is dead set on bringing one of them in (or Bosh, although I don't think he'll do that much more for them).

In all honesty, I think the main thing the Knicks are doing wrong isn't even related to the current team at all. It's the constant thought and wishful thinking that a big name player like LeBron will play for them in a year. They have no real intentions of winning now. The players are catching the vibe and don't seem to care either way. They know they won't be resigned as the front office seems to think superstars will want to come there next season.

Here's my suggestion... stop worry about LeBron, Wade, everyone else and worry about what you have right now. There's still a ways to go this season and I'm already getting sick of all the "LeBron to NY" talk. It may happen but there's also a good chance it doesn't, so this team really needs to stop banking on it.

Play for the present, not the future.

They don't have a voice in the lockerroom... someone who leads. D'Antoni is a manager, but he's not a leader. Steve Nash was his leader, now on the Knicks, players just want their numbers and go home. They don't play with any kind of purpose, or at least it hasn't hit them yet. The LeBron count that suggests the organization is already looking to the summer doesn't help either.

Their best player (talent wise) is imo Danilo Gallinari but he doesn't get enough touches to make decisions with the ball. He only gets passes to shoot, not to dribble and pass. He is who he should develop imo, because he's a franchise caliber talent.

Everything you guys are saying are decent point but it still doesn't explain how we were a 32 win team last year and on pace to win less than 12 games this year. The roster is pretty much the same after the trades, if not better.

What Chosen One said is right, the Knicks are the 1 and only team without a 'star' player, and it has been like that since the Allen Houston days.

God, do I miss Allan Houston...We really don't have that veteran player who will get loud with the younger guys, Q-Rich was not a very good player with us but actually tried to lead. Last year I trusted Jamal Crawford at the end of games to take a big shot, now it's....ugh...we don't even know anymore.

what are the knicks doing wrong?

playing basketball.

j/k :P

seriously tho, if i was a player, i don't know if i would work my [expletive] off to put up a win if the franchise is just gonna ditch me next season trying to get lebron. if the players know their just one year rentals, why not just put up big numbers and look for a team that actually wants yo? makes more sense tbh

• Like 1

seriously tho, if i was a player, i don't know if i would work my [expletive] off to put up a win if the franchise is just gonna ditch me next season trying to get lebron. if the players know their just one year rentals, why not just put up big numbers and look for a team that actually wants yo? makes more sense tbh

Players on their contract year will work to prove their worth for their next contract.

By putting up big number, not winning games. ;)

That's probably true, although I don't think that's the Knicks' main problem this year.

I think it's simply that the Knicks don't have the right players to fit D'Antoni's offense. He needs a true offensive playmaker, like Steve Nash or perhaps Ricky Rubio. The level of talent and playmaking at the point will determine how well the offense is run. He needs pure shooters to compliment the point guard, and those that can also defend the perimeter, like Raja Bell. And he also needs quick running bigs who can defend their position well enough, rebound the ball, and play both inside and out, like Amare and Marion.

Without those pieces, D'Antoni's offense doesn't work. Duhon isn't half the player Nash is. Chandler isn't a very good shooter and isn't a complete lock-down defender. The only players that truly work for the offense is Gallinari, Lee, and Harrington, but none of them can defend well at all individually.