Vince Carter: Should He Be Honoured?

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Raptors fans with long memories didn't get the chance to boo Magic SG Vince Carter, who was scratched with an injury on Sunday.

But that opportunity might come Nov. 22 at Air Canada Centre when the player who demanded out of Toronto after six-plus seasons will be ... honored by the franchise as part of their 15th anniversary celebration.

The Raptors say they will first ask Carter if he wants to go through with a ceremony, realizing the back-story.

"Everybody wants to know how we can do it, but Vince is part of the history here," Raptors General Manager Bryan Colangelo told the Sentinel. "Most of the people that he had problems with here are gone."

But it's the fans who have booed Carter each time he has returned since the Raptors dealt him to the New Jersey Nets in 2004.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/orl-sportsmagic-notes-02110209nov02,0,6125950.story

What do you guys think? Should the Raptors honour Vince prior to the November 22nd game or not? If yes, then why? If no, then why?

Personally, I do agree that he should be honoured for all of the things that he did for this frachise, but I would not do it just yet. I would wait another 5 years and do it during the Raptors 20th anniversary season. Carter is the most influential Raptor ever and I think that doing it right now would be too soon. If we wait another 5 years Carter will probably have retired by then (I think he will have, but it is not a gurantee) and maybe the hate will wear off if he is no longer playing. Have a huge tribute for Vince Carter and let bygones be bygones.

Although it would be pretty fitting celebrating the Raptors 15th season by honouring the most famous number 15 in their franchises history. :lol:

Also, one last thing, do you think that Carter will accept this and want to go through with it? Explain why or why not.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Ew...not sure. I've seen how the fans boo him. It would be really bad if he went through with the ceremony, had his name called, and the fans just booed the life out of him.

Would they actually do that in those circumstances?

I like the idea of waiting. Who knows, maybe Vince will finish his career in Toronto...haha. ;) Or maybe he'll be the one eliminating them in a Game 6 game-winner, in Toronto, in the playoffs soon. You never know. :lol:

Ew...not sure. I've seen how the fans boo him. It would be really bad if he went through with the ceremony, had his name called, and the fans just booed the life out of him.

Would they actually do that in those circumstances?

I like the idea of waiting. Who knows, maybe Vince will finish his career in Toronto...haha. ;) Or maybe he'll be the one eliminating them in a Game 6 game-winner, in Toronto, in the playoffs soon. You never know. :lol:

That is why I think that it would be much better if they waited until the 20th anniversary. As long as Carter is still in the league I just don't know if the Raptors fans would not boo the hell out of him every time he comes to the ACC. Maybe if they do it after he has retired the fans would finaly let it all go and just appreciate what he did for the franchise and not look at him as the "enemy" anymore?

This is an interesting situation though.

Definitely agree with BFT, why the hell would anyone cheer an opposing player that night? It is one thing any other night, but the night we play him? lol, he might the most hated former Toronto athlete EVER, but we play him that night too and we would be expected to cheer an opposing player?

I agree that it should be held until after he is retired, because at that point it won't sting as much watching him produce for other teams. Once he is retired he will go down as a Raptor even though he will have spent more years on other teams lol. His number should be raised and he should be honoured the season opener after he has retired.

And I am doubting Vince will want to do this at this time. Raptors fans are too bitter and it would be a shame for his final sendoff to be filled with boos.

After he is retired I believe Raptors fans, well the majority, will have been able to appreciate what he did for Toronto as long as his video or his tribute is done properly to remind people of the amazing things he did for Raptors basketball.

Yes, please honour him. I don't care what anyone says, No Carter, No raptors. He put the team on the map and actually made the team good. Carter is not the one to blame, it was the horrible front office we had back in the day. They made poor decisions and did not treat Carter well.

Its time to get over it and finally stop with the booing.

Considering the Raps are Canadas only team, the fans tend to hold a grudge, especially with Carter as he was and is a perenial allstar. I say wait even though i think he deserves to be honoured. It wouldnt be right for right now cuz he will be booed, no doubt about it. After he is retired, i say retire the jersey and honour him then. If the fans could let it go, then now would be best.

Off course. He put the Toronto Raptors on the basketball map. Even if he "quit" on the team, it was because of how dumb the front office was. They drafted freakin Rafeal Arujou with the 7th pick. I bet numerous players quit on their team when things were as bad as it was for Vince back then, but no one has the balls to admit it. He still does a lot for the city. I don't know if they would boo him or not, so I guess that would be considered on if he will be honored or not.

Vince was this franchise’s everything and he had a lot of success here but overall he ended up being a disappointment. One thing you have to understand is that raptor fans love tough minded players who work hard and gives their best night in and night out and Vince clearly gave up and the worst thing about that is when he got traded he admitted in a interview that he kind of gave up in Toronto to make matters worse when he got to New Jersey that when he exploded and looked like the Carter of old. So to answer the question it’s not the right time to honour Vince when raptor fans can’t forgive him for giving up on the team and the organization.