"LeBron James in Miami is not a crazy idea"

Flash

The round of speculation that has LeBron James possibly signing with the Heat next summer is only the current direction this discussion is going. Next week it'll be different. The week after that it'll change again, and so on until the 2010 free agency period actually arrives, by which time every possibility will have been discussed at least once, including the idea of James signing with Sacramento under the condition that the team adds an apostrophe to make them the King's.

But, while LBJ-to-Miami is all the rage, and while he happens to be coming to town this week for a Thursday throwdown, let's consider the possibility.

Initially, the thought of a James-Dwyane Wade pairing seems unreasonable when you consider that neither would appear willing to play a supporting role, as well as unfair when you consider that no other team in the league would even stand a chance at competing when two of the league's top three forces have unified their powers.

As fun as domination sounds sometimes, isn't competition what makes these games fun to watch?

Miami Herald

That would be disgusting and I feel like there's a chance just not a big one unfortunately.

• Owner

I'll get some heat from this (no pun intended), but a Wade/LeBron duo would not be an automatic championship. They'd definitely contend, they would probably get to the ECF or Finals, but neither is a post threat, and I don't consider Jermaine O'Neal one, either (and more than likely, Jermaine would be dealt).

Now...LeBron and Howard? Most definitely. LeBron and Kobe, yes, because Bryant's post game is nothing short of amazing.

If you want a team that is almost certainly going to win it all, you want domination in the post and on the perimeter. Two perimeter-oriented players, especially Wade and LeBron, can get the job done, but they wouldn't be the hands-down favorites.

I'll get some heat from this (no pun intended), but a Wade/LeBron duo would not be an automatic championship. They'd definitely contend, they would probably get to the ECF or Finals, but neither is a post threat, and I don't consider Jermaine O'Neal one, either (and more than likely, Jermaine would be dealt).

Now...LeBron and Howard? Most definitely. LeBron and Kobe, yes, because Bryant's post game is nothing short of amazing.

If you want a team that is almost certainly going to win it all, you want domination in the post and on the perimeter. Two perimeter-oriented players, especially Wade and LeBron, can get the job done, but they wouldn't be the hands-down favorites.

I see exactly what you're saying but I think we'll re-sign Jermaine regardless of who we bring in. Add Wade & Bron to Chalmers and Beasley and then Cook, Haslem, Wright, Q and most likely Joel coming off the bench and I like our chances at a title.

I think Jermaine is enough of a threat down low to go along with what would easily be the best perimeter duo in the league.

• Owner

Well, I'm starting to think that LeBron will work a sign-and-trade if he wants to leave Cleveland. It gives him the most money, and also, he's giving back to the city.

That's just what I'm thinking, anyways.

I don't think any championship is automatic, but in no way can you rule out a Wade and LeBron duo. Two huge driving threats with recently increased shooting range, both willing passers, and both capable of scoring 50 on any given night... That would be a scary [expletive] duo, no matter who the supporting cast is.

It's a possibility, but I'm not counting on it to happen. There are good arguments for LeBron to wind up anywhere.

I don't think any championship is automatic, but in no way can you rule out a Wade and LeBron duo. Two huge driving threats with recently increased shooting range, both willing passers, and both capable of scoring 50 on any given night... That would be a scary [expletive] duo, no matter who the supporting cast is.

It's a possibility, but I'm not counting on it to happen. There are good arguments for LeBron to wind up anywhere.

Agreed 100%. However, I think Miami gives Bron the best chance to win. The Nets, Cavs and Knicks dont have the young talent and another superstar that could deliver LeBron that title like Miami does. If he wants miney then he's better off staying in Cleveland.

• Owner

Well, technically, all teams have a shot at him, because of a sign and trade. Sam Smith wrote an article about LeBron going to the Lakers, and he thinks it'll happen. I definitely don't, but anything is a possibility.

I really believe LeBron's best decision will be to go to Los Angeles...but to the Clippers. Just sign with them and team up with Gordon, Griffin, Kaman and Davis. It puts him in a big market city, gives him two young studs to win a championship with, and he's still the sole leader of the team.

Agreed 100%. However, I think Miami gives Bron the best chance to win. The Nets, Cavs and Knicks dont have the young talent and another superstar that could deliver LeBron that title like Miami does. If he wants miney then he's better off staying in Cleveland.

I think he will fit in with the Nets perfectly.

PG - Harris

SG - Lee

SF - Lebron

PF - Draft (they will prolly end up with te 1st-5th pick)

C - Lopez

I think he will fit in with the Nets perfectly.

PG - Harris

SG - Lee

SF - Lebron

PF - Draft (they will prolly end up with te 1st-5th pick)

C - Lopez

The Nets aren't as deep as Miami is though and they lack another superstar player. The salary would be the same so why not go to Miami and play with one of your best friends and have the chance to win multiple titles.

I still think LBJ is headed to New Jersey, even though their record is pathetic they have some good pieces there unlike New York.

Anyways I agree with Warren he is leaving unless they make the finals.

I think LeBron to Miami is a real possibility because the money is there and so is Wade, and I disagree with the fact that you need a post threat or post game to be a dominant team or a title threat. I think having slashers like Wade and LeBron is more than enough because they will open the floor for the shooters. And if Kobe can develop a post game so could LeBron. The Heat would obviously have to add a considerable amount of talent but Wade-LeBron would be an amazing start.

Also to the above, New Jersey is definitely a way brighter situation seeing as Harris is already a star, Lopez is VERY good, and that top 5 pick would be amazing trade bait to add a 3rd star to the team with Harris and LeBron. The Heat roster is a mess right now. Realistically they could offer that pick to the Raptors for Bosh if they had the contracts and what not, a top 5 pick for Bosh is plausible and LeBron would definitely be interested I'm not sure Bosh would like being 2nd fiddle but whatever.

Also to the above, New Jersey is definitely a way brighter situation seeing as Harris is already a star, Lopez is VERY good, and that top 5 pick would be amazing trade bait to add a 3rd star to the team with Harris and LeBron. The Heat roster is a mess right now. Realistically they could offer that pick to the Raptors for Bosh if they had the contracts and what not, a top 5 pick for Bosh is plausible and LeBron would definitely be interested I'm not sure Bosh would like being 2nd fiddle but whatever.

How so?

Because you don't even have a 'core' lol. You have Wade, what is going on with Beasley is he playing or what, he is your 2nd best scorer and he is getting benched in the 4th, I don't watch the Heat but this kid is a stud and should be getting minutes IMO and getting plays run for him.

Who is even in this team's long term plans? Wade and who else? Cook? Haslem? Chalmers? All these guys are 2nd rate starters, your entire future is up in the air with whether or not Wade re-signs and whether or not you can land another big name in free agency next year.

You can't expect to build a championship team through free agency, unless you get really lucky and land the king. Your roster is just ugly, it is a shame Dwyane Wade is being forced to play with guys like Quentin Richardson, Jermaine O'Neal, Udonis Haslem as his secondary scorers.

At least the Raptors went out and put actual talent around Bosh this off-season, Riley just stood pat because he won't do anything unless he knows Wade is in long term. And even though the Heat might do better, that is not a result of your roster, that is a result of just how fantastic Wade is.

Team Roster

NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2009 - 2010 SALARY

50 Joel Anthony C 27 6-9 245 UNLV $825,497

8 Carlos Arroyo PG 30 6-2 202 Florida International $825,497

30 Michael Beasley PF 20 6-10 235 Kansas State $4,638,600

6 Mario Chalmers PG 23 6-1 190 Kansas $756,000

14 Daequan Cook SG 22 6-5 210 Ohio State $1,362,120

9 Yakhouba Diawara SF 27 6-7 225 Pepperdine $945,000

40 Udonis Haslem PF 29 6-8 235 Florida $7,100,000

22 James Jones SF 29 6-8 220 Miami (FL) $4,330,000

21 Jamaal Magloire C 31 6-11 255 Kentucky $825,497

7 Jermaine O'Neal C 31 6-11 255 $23,016,000

11 Chris Quinn PG 26 6-2 175 Notre Dame $1,050,387

42 Shavlik Randolph PF 25 6-10 236 Duke $825,497

5 Quentin Richardson SG 29 6-6 228 DePaul $8,700,000

3 Dwyane Wade SG 27 6-4 220 Marquette $15,779,912

1 Dorell Wright SG 23 6-9 210 $2,887,165

Simply put that is just an ugly [expletive]ing roster.

Edited by travesy3

• Owner

I never said you can't contend without a post threat, I said you aren't a sure bet to get into the Finals.

Lakers/Magic (Gasol/Howard)

Lakers/Celtics (Gasol/Garnett)

Spurs/Cavaliers (Duncan/none)

Heat/Mavs (Shaq/Dirk)

Spurs/Pistons (Duncan/Sheed)

Lakers/Pistons (Shaq/Sheed)

Spurs/Nets (Duncan/Martin)

Lakers/Nets (Shaq/Martin)

Lakers/Sixers (Shaq/none)

Lakers/Pacers (Shaq/Smits)

Of course, I could drop down further and give you Jordan/Pippen, but Wade and LeBron aren't Michael, and neither one of them are the defenders Scottie was, so again, I can't say that a duo of LBJ and D-Wade will be a sure bet for the Finals, when Boston and Orlando can knock them out of the playoffs if both teams are fully healthy.

Yep, so ugly they are 5-1 to start the season with an average win margin of 7.8 points.

The Heat don't have to make moves to get better. And, yes, they do have a core with young players like Chalmers, Beasley, Cook, and perhaps Wright, plus veterans in Wade and Haslem, who are both at least 4 years away from a declining stage in their career.

And saying that Wade is "forced" to play alongside O'Neal, Haslem, and Q-Rich is just laughable. Wade has built a good relationship with his team working out with them over the offseason, and besides, he's been friends with Q-Rich since before joining the NBA.

Haslem is extremely underrated, he does so much for the team that you can't put a stat on. There is a reason he finishes games.

O'Neal is showing signs of his old self, and by midway into the season he should be averaging close to 20 point per game on top of somewhere between 8 and 10 rebounds per game.

Q-Rich has been way better than I expected. He's been a great compliment to Wade and the team, knocking down open look shooting 43% from 3 and 48% from the field. He's been the Heat's 3rd best rebounder, and has done a surprisingly solid job with his help defense and holding his own on the ball as well.

And about Beasley, don't think just because he's starting he suddenly earns the right to big minutes. He's only starting for developmental reason, and his minutes are based on how he plays. If he plays well enough, he'll get 30+ minutes. I'm not too worried about his recent production, either. The coaching staff and the players are confident in his abilities. He's only 20 years old, he'll come around.

Chalmers has played well in his position, being active on defense, shooting a high percentage, and finding his teammates for open looks.

Arroyo has fit in well off the bench in his limited minutes, and Joel has been very solid defensively as usual.

All in all, I'm having a lot of trouble finding where the mess is, exactly. A superstar surrounded by solid players playing solid as a team on both ends, especially defensively holding their opponents down to 90 ppg on 42% shooting. Believe me, if the team was as messy as you say it is, then they obviously would not have stuck with the same line up as last year and only two role players added to the rotation.

Lol at you thinking role players are good core pieces. Half your roster consists of 12th man type of players.

Sorry but you can't be competitive without stars, that is just how it is. The Heat have nothing to offer for stars besides Beasley, their biggest asset right now besides maybe Beasley and obviously Wade, is potential cap space which is pretty bad.

There is a reason most your roster is considered overpaid or are on minimum contracts, lol.

Edited by travesy3

I never said you can't contend without a post threat, I said you aren't a sure bet to get into the Finals.

Lakers/Magic (Gasol/Howard)

Lakers/Celtics (Gasol/Garnett)

Spurs/Cavaliers (Duncan/none)

Heat/Mavs (Shaq/Dirk)

Spurs/Pistons (Duncan/Sheed)

Lakers/Pistons (Shaq/Sheed)

Spurs/Nets (Duncan/Martin)

Lakers/Nets (Shaq/Martin)

Lakers/Sixers (Shaq/none)

Lakers/Pacers (Shaq/Smits)

Of course, I could drop down further and give you Jordan/Pippen, but Wade and LeBron aren't Michael, and neither one of them are the defenders Scottie was, so again, I can't say that a duo of LBJ and D-Wade will be a sure bet for the Finals, when Boston and Orlando can knock them out of the playoffs if both teams are fully healthy.

Sheed and Dirk are post threats? I see a lot of average post players on there on championship teams, the game is changing, a post threat is no longer necessary to compete IMO, it is more important that your big men can defend the post to me than if they can score in the post. I agree you need good big men, especially on the defensive end but I don't think your big men need to be scoring the ball to be successful, which I am not even sure you are saying that but I am just saying that lol.

No team is a sure lock for the finals, the Lakers could very well get knocked out of the playoffs too, it almost happened last year. I am saying a Wade and LeBron led team with a competent supporting cast SHOULD be the favourites for the finals. Nothing is ever definite, as Dirk.

I hadn't heard of this until I was on my way to school and every sports radio was talking about it. It was as if Lebron was already on his way to Miami. I think it is a crazy idea and it won't happen, plus two superstars would not be as productive as usual when they are together.

Some dude even said Bosh and Lebron would take less money to play with Wade, which I thought was sick but 100% not possible.

The Heat are going to do work this off-season.

I'm not sure if you guys have been paying attention, but Miami looks like a really good team this year. 5-1 so far and their defense is stingy. Pretty similar to the Cleveland teams the past few years seeing as how they have an elite player and a good defense.

I gotta love the haters coming in here scared of what that duo can do though. Wade and LeBron both in the prime of their career.... Wow. In the NBA if you have two of the top 3 players in the game your going to the Finals. Look at the success LA had with Kobe and Shaq. Re sign Jermaine O'Neal after you give Wade/LeBron their money and you got. And if guys like Rik Smiths(who I've seen Real Deal continously bash), and Kenyon Martin are considered legit post players then Jermaine O'Neal is in there as well.

Neither of them has the defense of Scottie, but their offense is twice as dangerous.

C- Jermaine O'Neal

F- Haslem/Beasley

F- LeBron

G- Wade

G- Chalmers

NBA Champions. All the old veterans would go there.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 1

• Owner

I actually bashed Smits for his inability to defend Shaq, and again, Jermaine won't be on the team if the Heat get LeBron James. I doubt Cleveland will let him walk if in fact he does tell them he's gone, and they sure as hell won't let him walk to another East playoff team.

• Owner

Also, again, I'm not hating. I made it very clear that they could win a championship. I also stated that Boston and Orlando could beat that duo.

Yeah, Kobe and Shaq won three. They also lost in the playoffs. I'm just not going to sit and call Wade and LeBron as good as the Jordan and Pippen duo.

And finally, I have no reason to hate, because LeBron is my second or third favorite player, and I actually like Wade a lot since he developed a jumper and stopped his flopping. Said this many times in the past.

Is Bosh, Wade, and Lebron possible? I heard on the radio that they would all be willing to take less money to play together.

Here is the problem though, we drafted Beasley for offense and he would be completely lost in this mix unless he came off the bench. Chalmers would fit in perfect because he only shoots a couple of times a game and he mainly plays defense. Anyone else see that possibility?

Now that I put it all together, I think this might be why Riley has been holding out. He knows we have talent now which would attract players during FA, we also have a bunch of expiring contracts and we have plenty of CAP to sign Wade and at least one other star. I trust in Riley and I am pretty sure he is planning something really big.

Edited by SRV