Dealing for LeBron

Real Deal

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Sam Smith thinks it's possible.

Well, at least I’m fairly sure now where LeBron James is going to be playing next season.

Los Angeles, most likely with the Lakers.

Stay with me a bit here, and when the Bulls are in Cleveland Thursday for the TNT national TV game with the Cavs, I doubt LeBron will have much to say on the subject. And this is hardly an overreaction to the Cavs slogging out of the starting gate this season with two losses and looking ready for pasture.

No, going to the Lakers makes all the sense in the world, and, at least to my view, fits LeBron better than it would other players of his caliber. Of which there’s basically only Kobe Bryant.

I’ve heard this scenario from some NBA people, though I’ve heard every other one as well, from staying in Cleveland to New York to New Jersey to running Berkshire Hathaway for Warren Buffett.

The general consensus seems to be LeBron stays in Cleveland given you can be a star from anywhere, the New York teams generally are a mess and would mean a step back in his competitive career, and he likes Cleveland. Makes sense and it probably is the second best option, though I strongly question the Cavs roster and decision making to help make LeBron a champion. Michael Jordan was able to accept the lack of titles into the late 1980s because the Bulls were improving and going farther each season. It appears the Cavs are backsliding.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_091102.html

I'm leaning towards "not a chance" when it comes to this happening, but for the sake of discussion, would you trade both Andrew Bynum and Ron Artest for LeBron James, if you were Mitch Kupchak?

Also, if you were sure that LeBron was leaving Cleveland, would you work a sign and trade for those two players, trading LeBron to the opposing conference?

It's pretty crazy if Los Angeles gets him. But if I'm GM of the Cavs and I know for a sure fact that LeBron isn't going to come back, or interested I'd ship him to anybody willing to offer something good. Ron Ron and Bynum arn't bad, but if this happens every fan will hate the Cavs front office haha.

I would def do that trade. With a Kobe-LeBron duo, the Lakers would be a player magnet, considering you'd still have young decent players such as Luke, Brown, Mbenga, and of course you still have Pau Gasol.

Average players on LeBron's team also tend to play better than they actually are, and with some youngsters off the draft, and both Kobe and Gasol having about 5 years left, there's no threat of becoming horrible after these two, since LeBron would still be with the team for about 10-12 years (with Lakers' management and its talent spotters they should really have built a half decent core 5 years from now).

• Owner

C - Gasol

PF - Odom

SF - LeBron

SG - Kobe

PG - Fisher

I would cry.

But as a Cavaliers GM, I would do this. I know people can sit and say that Bynum is injury-prone, but he's really not. Those injuries were both freak accidents, both blamed on our own players. Losing Shaq (which is what will probably happen) means that the Cavaliers will need a center, and they can deal Big Z for someone else, build around a core of Bynum, Artest and Williams.

It's better than losing LeBron and getting absolutely nothing in return.

To me the question is, if Lebron made it clear that he would NOT re-sign with the Cavs, wouldn't management almost be forced into trading him and trying to get some sort of value out of that? And, considering his contract is expiring, without him signing an extension (which he would only do if there was a trade to a team he was interested in available), I can't imagine a team trying to give up big pieces without the guarantee that his contract ISN'T expiring. So, technically, couldn't Lebron dictate where he's going? Or am I mis-reading the situation?

No way are the Cavs trading their Franchise player. Fans would be upset, and they are paying tickets to see LeBron play. It's horrible on the business end.

I understand that, but if its 100% clear Lebron will NOT be signing with the Cavs, wouldn't it be just as much of an outrage for the Cavs to let James go without trying to get some type of value for him?

Cavs aren't trading a franchise player if they aren't getting one back, at least they shouldn't be. I dare anyone to tell me Andrew Bynum is a franchise player.

But this article is just saying LeBron fits with the Lakers, not that it could happen. Any GM would be stupid to not trade for LeBron if you are keeping your best player, or in this case TWO best players. If you are offered to give Artest, Odom and Bynum and 3 picks for LeBron, you do it, sorry if that upsets any Lakers fans.

It seems LeBron will leave this team if they don't make a return to the finals, if he tells them his intention is to leave the team in the off-season then they should trade him at the deadline for a youth package. Cavs fans would be jumping off buildings but this would be better than losing him for nothing, like everyone else has said. But there is nothing on the Lakers worth LeBron, if you trade the king you start all over again with youth and picks and lots of them, simple as that.

Is it a good trade? Yes. Do I want it? No. The Cavs wouldnt do that deal either. Even if it does make sense for them, why would they trade their best player to the current NBA champions just to watch them become a dynasty while they become the laughing stock of the NBA. And besides I dont want Lebron here, we dont even need him. Is it possible for Kobe and Lebron to both dominate the ball all game long while not fighting over it. It will ruin both their legacys if they played together. Sure it would bring a dozen titles to LA, but how much fun would that be. Im content with watching Kobe lock up Lebron when they meet head to head. :)

I would do that trade in a heartbeat, and as much as I love Drew and would hate to see him go...it's friggin LeBron James. You don't pass that up.

Now, if we got Wade while we were at at...

C - Gasol

PF - James

SF - Bryant

SG - Wade

PG - Fisher

:P

well, history tells us that he probably won't go anywhere in the east, so maybe this isn't as far fetched as it sounds...

i'm not sure i would call bynum and artest value (given artests history of behavior, and bynums history of injury)...though i'm not sure what anyone would consider value for bron bron