LeBron changing his number?

Real Deal

• Owner

Why do people bring up Kobe and the Lakers in EVERY thread.

Why didn't you quote the first person that brought up Bryant, instead of a Lakers fan?

And BFT, it's not baiting. It's a good point.

I don't see anything wrong with changing the number. AND...I also think he slipped and made a mistake by saying that if he can't wear it, nobody should be able to. I think he wanted to twist that in a different way, but it just came out wrong...just to say that the players should follow his lead.

• Owner

Your point is moot. LeBron changed his number to honor Jordan and his induction to the Hall. You're picking at straws here.

There's a criteria concerning the number of years before you can start respecting a player? That was his point. You can't compare the two (HOF inauguration criteria and the number of seasons it took for LeBron to realize he shouldn't wear Jordan's number anymore).

If I were James' best friend, I'd ask him how he would feel if John Wall came into the league with #23, dominated, and became known as the next Jordan (pretending like he's a two-guard for a moment, not a Derrick Rose comparison). Would he be upset about that? Probably so.

In a way, this is LeBron's chance to be the last to really make an impact on the league while wearing that number, and ALSO be the one that claimed it should be retired league-wide.

But in my opinion, I don't really care...just putting that out there.

He wore #23 in homage (out of respect) to Jordan, and now he's changing his number (out of respect) to honor Jordan's induction into the Hall. Why is this even a discussion? It doesn't mean he didn't respect him before. It's Jordan's crowning moment, and LeBron probably felt that this was the most appropriate time for a jersey change.

• Owner

It doesn't mean he didn't respect him before.

I'm not sure if that was the direction he was going (maybe so)...but that wasn't my argument in that last post, either.

Most wear #23 because they idolize Jordan, and/or they want to be like him or someday match his legacy. I'm sure that was LeBron's excuse as well...but the way he worded it, you can still wonder if he really wants to do it out of respect, or if he's also doing it for other reasons (the ones I mentioned in the other post).

I mean, if this was someone else saying, "If I can't wear it, nobody should be able to," this would be a big deal, and that player's game would be criticized left and right.

How about just saying something along the lines of, "Nobody in the league should wear the number 23, and I should have never picked it to begin with," staying humble about the entire thing?

Again, I think he meant to say something along those lines, but LeBron's actions over the last year have been enough for people to question what he REALLY wants by asking to retire Jordan's number, no?

You're overanalyzing it.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — LeBron James is ready to give up his jersey number 23 in honor of Hall of Famer Michael Jordan, and he wants other NBA players to do the same.

Cavaliers star James has worn 23 since his high school playing days, but he told the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper after a game in Miami on Thursday night that Jordan's impact on the game deserves recognition.

"I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized in some way - soon," James said.

"There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade, you name all the best players in the league right now and the last 10 years, there would be none of us without Michael Jordan."

James said he had been thinking about the move for some time and would be willing to change to number six - his US Olympic team jersey number.

He wants to start a petition to get every player in the league wearing 23 to give up the number.

"It's time," James said. "He's the best basketball player we've ever seen. Mike does it on the court and off the court. If you see 23, you think about Michael Jordan..."

That's straight from the horse's mouth. No hidden agenda here.

• Owner

What else would you expect him to say? He's not going to sit and go, "The number should be retired because I want to be the last to truly make an impact with it on my back."

Check his $tats, Mason. Many have enough to believe he has more than one reason to want this done.

What else would you expect him to say? He's not going to sit and go, "The number should be retired because I want to be the last to truly make an impact with it on my back."

Check his $tats, Mason. Many have enough to believe he has more than one reason to want this done.

Dude, I won't deny that LeBron is an arrogant c*ck, but you're reaching. Boastful t-shirts are not pertinent; he's trying to honor Jordan, and I think that's pretty clear from when he was gushing all over him in the article. Speculate all you want, but you have no leg to stand on besides the fact that he's full of himself, which we can say about (probably) every athlete.

Edited by His Greatness

I've kept quiet in this thread so far but I have to say something...

Now I like LeBron but it seems like he may be doing this as a way to prove a point that MJ is the best and hopes to shut down all talks of Kobe potentially being the best. Just a thought. I don't think LeBron could take it if Kobe was "said" to be the best player to ever play, so maybe this is his way to get people talking about Jordan opposed to Kobe. :blink: