LeBron changing his number?

Real Deal

• Owner

Honorable statement?

Well, I'm sure people are going to figure that in with the free agency period. There has been that talk about LeBron going to Miami, right? Well, I'm definitely not saying he will...but for the sake of discussion, what if he's changing his number BECAUSE he'll have to?

I told Jessica (my girlfriend) that he was changing his number, and that's the first thing she said. She was like, "What teams in the NBA have #23 retired?"

Presented an interesting topic to discuss, really.

Hawks - Lou Hudson

Celtics - Frank Ramsey

Bulls - Michael Jordan

Rockets - Calvin Murphy

Heat - Michael Jordan

Nets - John Williamson

I always wandered why he wore six over-sea's. If he likes the number then more power to him, I just wander how it will tie in with a marketing campaign.

Edited by Ya Dig!

I somewhat agree with the league wide retirement of 23 but in a sense...he played for Chicago, not Milwaukee or Portland (Damn you Bowie!), or Houston, etc. But it would be pretty cool to honor him like that and make it so that no one can wear it. I don't know, I'm sort of torn on the whole thing.

LeBron will look weird in number 6 though.

Wow RD, I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

... so now Lebron will take Doctor J's #6. Sounds good. His dunks look a lot more like Doctor J's. I was just saying the other day how if Lebron is really The King and destined to be the greatest, than he might want to choose his own digit and make it famous instead of dawning Jordan's. Even though its Doctor J's #6, it doesn't resonate like #23 so it's a good move.

I find a few things funny about this though. He wants nobody to wear Jordan's number.... but he switched to Russell's number (I think), a player who should be equally revered. Also, I know it sounds crazy, but given that 2 teams with cap room have 23 retired, this could be another way to tease fans and have them speculating if he's going to Miami or Chicago or, dare I say it, a subtle indication that he is already considering the move, a scenario which I doubt.

Retiring #23 around the league is dumb. Unlike hockey you can actually make cases for other guy's being the best baketball player of all-time. Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Larry. All these guys did so much for the league and you could make a case they were better than Michael. It's just dumb.

• Like 1

• Owner

Retiring #23 around the league is dumb. Unlike hockey you can actually make cases for other guy's being the best baketball player of all-time. Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Larry. All these guys did so much for the league and you could make a case they were better than Michael. It's just dumb.

I'm not for or against it...but none of the players you named had a better overall game than Michael. Each of them had a weakness or two, and there was no glaring weakness with Jordan after 1992.

Lol he is only doing it if everyone else does it. What did he say exactly, something like: "If I am changing then everyone else should have to". He also goes on to explain what significance the number 6 has to him like his childrens' birth dates, his HS number, Erving being his 2nd favourite player so please, don't give the Miami fans any more ammunition then they need lol.

Actually damn, after thinking more it is kind of weird that two of his biggest suitors have the number 23 retired, but I bet they would un-retire them for LeBron lol.

I don't think a number in basketball should be universally retired because no one in Basketball has been dominant enough to warrant that, basketball would be hard to determine the GOAT because of different positions and stuff. Unlike hockey where Gretzky is the undisputed GOAT because the only main stat is points, and he owns that record column easily.

Yeah I heard him say this on TNT and thought wow your a bit too late. You could tell as soon as he came into the league dude was tryin to be like Mike. Finally he gets some originality. I wonder why he really chose 6, cause of the number of rings MJ has? :lol:

Yeah I heard him say this on TNT and thought wow your a bit too late. You could tell as soon as he came into the league dude was tryin to be like Mike. Finally he gets some originality. I wonder why he really chose 6, cause of the number of rings MJ has? :lol:

I'm not trying to start anything, so if this post is considered to be baiting or offensive or anything like that, by all means delete it. I just wanted to point something out.

You can say all of this stuff about LeBron and it all could very well end up being true, however, somebody can make an equally basless claim about Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Somebody can just as easily say that Kobe Bryant switched his jersey to 24 and wore number 10 in the Olympics because he wants to "one-up" Jordan (24 being one higher than Jordan's 23 and 10 being one higher than Jordan's 9).

I'm not going to make this basless claim, just like I am not making a basless claim about your theory either, just thought I would point that out.

Once again, feel free to delete this post if you feel it shouldn't be here.

As for LeBron changing his number some people are definitely going to read into this and as a result start talking as if it is a guarntee that James will end up in Miami or Chicago. I can see why people will think this but I'm not buying it (not saying that I don't think he might end up in Miami or Chicago, just don't think that this is really an indicator at all).

I'm not trying to start anything, so if this post is considered to be baiting or offensive or anything like that, by all means delete it. I just wanted to point something out.

You can say all of this stuff about LeBron and it all could very well end up being true, however, somebody can make an equally baseless claim about Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Somebody can just as easily say that Kobe Bryant switched his jersey to 24 and wore number 10 in the Olympics because he wants to "one-up" Jordan (24 being one higher than Jordan's 23 and 10 being one higher than Jordan's 9).

I'm not going to make this baseless claim, just like I am not making a baseless claim about your theory either, just thought I would point that out.

Once again, feel free to delete this post if you feel it shouldn't be here.

As for LeBron changing his number some people are definitely going to read into this and as a result start talking as if it is a guarantee that James will end up in Miami or Chicago. I can see why people will think this but I'm not buying it (not saying that I don't think he might end up in Miami or Chicago, just don't think that this is really an indicator at all).

I was going to make a similar point, actually. I'm not sure what LeBron's true intentions are with changing his number, whether they are just for a change of pace, or place, but if LeBron feels that he should change his number out of respect for Jordan, well then more power to him.

I don't think people should make this such a huge deal, after all it is just a number. Kobe had his reasons for changing his number, I'm sure LeBron has his as well.