Top 3 teams in the West next year

Warren2ThaG

Lakers

Spurs

Nuggets

I think that it will be one more season before the Blazers move up into the elite company of the Western Conference. They can obviously prove me wrong and develop quicker than I anticipate (I figured that they would fight for a playoff spot this season, not easily make it) but I give them one more season before they move up into the top 3 teams in the West.

Spurs

Lakers

Jazz/Nuggets...I'll say the Nuggets....Blazers are very close also. Even maybe Phoenix if they can get Odom.

The Spurs draft and getting RJ was so detrimental. Lakers got older and the coaching issues could arise. It's very close though.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Pretty simple. Lakers 1st. We did nothing but get better with Artest. Still have to retain Odom, though. We get a healthy Bynum (we'll see for how long), and if Phil signs on he's in for the whole season so there's no problem there.

Spurs 2nd. They'll get a big man (they always rent one) to help them content. RJ is a huge addition for them, but there's is no way that the addition of Jefferson on an old team can trump the addition of Artest on a championship team.

Nuggets 3rd. Reliable backup point guard now in Everybody-Loves-Raymond clone Tywon Lawson. 'Melo has a strong year coming up to expand on his defensive intensity. Looks like that team will retain what got them to the WCF.

Jazz deserve a mention. Boozer a whole year, Okur staying, and Deron vying for starter in the All Star game as he gets to start the year off completely without having to work himself back from injury.

I'd have to go with:

1. Nuggets

2. Spurs

3. Lakers

Yes I'm skeptic of Ron's addition to the Lakers mix, Ariza was a HUGEEE part of their run in the playoffs, just ask his 47.6 3PT%, spot up three pt shooter. I don't think anyone can make Ron shoot without dribbling first. It's outside his comfort zone... thing is when Kobe kicks it out to Ron, Kobe does not want Artest to dribble first... he wants him to shoot it. Defensively, there should be no problem

Spurs will be great with RJ... I think he will be very motivated and the Big Three will also be rejuvenated to acquire someone who's hungry for a championship and they feed off each other. He will be great in their system.

Nuggets, we retain all players (Andersen virtually locked to return) and still have the same philosophy. Chauncey gets his protege who he can teach but the student also gives the teacher some rest... with Chauncey playing 30 mpg, we might actually be better. We need his leadership and save his legs.

I'd have to go with:

1. Nuggets

2. Spurs

3. Lakers

Yes I'm skeptic of Ron's addition to the Lakers mix, Ariza was a HUGEEE part of their run in the playoffs, just ask his 47.6 3PT%, spot up three pt shooter. I don't think anyone can make Ron shoot without dribbling first. It's outside his comfort zone... thing is when Kobe kicks it out to Ron, Kobe does not want Artest to dribble first... he wants him to shoot it. Defensively, there should be no problem

Spurs will be great with RJ... I think he will be very motivated and the Big Three will also be rejuvenated to acquire someone who's hungry for a championship and they feed off each other. He will be great in their system.

Nuggets, we retain all players (Andersen virtually locked to return) and still have the same philosophy. Chauncey gets his protege who he can teach but the student also gives the teacher some rest... with Chauncey playing 30 mpg, we might actually be better. We need his leadership and save his legs.

Putting Nuggets over the Lakers AND Spurs is just crazy.

Saving Billups is good and all, but Ty is not gonna be the big hero. Hes still a roookie who will make big rookie mistakes, and at best will be a role player.

Even if Artest does not do well in LA, the Lakers will still be great. Mind you that Ariza was only a roleplayer, Artest will still give them above a role player play. Artest also gives them must needed toughest that only Kobe had on the team (Pau actually showed a little). Artest will hustle just asmuch or even more then Ariza.

I wish Artest thing would fail too, but it won't because thats how good theLakers are. With Andrew learning alot and maybe finally having a injury free year, they are gonna be even more scarier.

With the Spurs, all they did was get better.Manu is going to be healthy, Parker and Duncan are gonna have someone to share the ball with in RJ.Mason will hopefully finally go back to his role that fits him best.

For me, its the Lakers and Spurs.And it really doesnt matter after to me. The Blazers will be better but not because of Hedo, because of the experience they have gained last year. Nuggets will be the same, i don't see them having a loud offseason, they could fall to 6th.

What the heck? lol

Felton clone. I don't really think they're that similar though, but they'll probably put up similar numbers as starters (ie in 2 or 3 years for Ty).

1. Lakers

2. Spurs

3a. Nuggets

3b. Blazers

3a and 3b really are too close to call. Lakers gain slight edge over SA with Ron Ron.

It's not Nuggets who make improvement (although I think they should), but I don't think Lakers can win 65 games with Artest. You have to put the right players around Kobe and Gasol. I am not saying Artest is going to destroy them but he is not exactly the right fit for the reasons I stated. At least on the offensive end. But Lakers are offense first team anyway, if they don't click on that end, they won't have the same focus on the other end.

Ariza is a very underrated loose ball hustler, for everytime Artest dives down to get a loose ball, Ariza has done the same thing 10 times. He's the perfect role player, again I'm not saying Ron will spoil this, but I'm not convinced yet they can do as well as when they had Ariza. Surely Artest is a superior individual player than Ariza but does not mean he is the better fit.

Putting Nuggets over the Lakers AND Spurs is just crazy.

Saving Billups is good and all, but Ty is not gonna be the big hero. Hes still a roookie who will make big rookie mistakes, and at best will be a role player.

Even if Artest does not do well in LA, the Lakers will still be great. Mind you that Ariza was only a roleplayer, Artest will still give them above a role player play. Artest also gives them must needed toughest that only Kobe had on the team (Pau actually showed a little). Artest will hustle just asmuch or even more then Ariza.

I wish Artest thing would fail too, but it won't because thats how good theLakers are. With Andrew learning alot and maybe finally having a injury free year, they are gonna be even more scarier.

With the Spurs, all they did was get better.Manu is going to be healthy, Parker and Duncan are gonna have someone to share the ball with in RJ.Mason will hopefully finally go back to his role that fits him best.

For me, its the Lakers and Spurs.And it really doesnt matter after to me. The Blazers will be better but not because of Hedo, because of the experience they have gained last year. Nuggets will be the same, i don't see them having a loud offseason, they could fall to 6th.

I watched Felton's and Lawson's entire college careers. They will be pretty similar NBA players.

It seems like Lawson likes to push the ball more to me, whereas Felton likes to slow down a little and find the best man situation.

Both are pass-first players though, and both can score well. I think Lawson's going to put up the similar 15 and 7-8 assist numbers in his second year as a starter, maybe first depending on how long he backs up Chauncey.