Knicks on verge of signing Iverson

fish7718

Allen Iverson has told associates he is prepared to come to the New York Knicks.

"We wouldn't be considering it if we thought we were functioning well and we're not," Walsh said of the Knicks, who went into last night's game against the Pacers with a 1-9 record. "And I want to make sure if we do something like this it's the right thing to do."

Walsh said if the Knicks do offer Iverson a contract it will likely be for the $1.4 million veteran's minimum.

[LINK]

I didn't believe the early reports but now I'm really excited. Even though I have no clue how it would work AI has always been one of my favorite players despite being a Knicks fan, the guy is just so fun to watch.

Also, I will add, I'd watch the Knicks a little more if Iverson played. Tho it's little from slim, and only because of Lee.

Yeah it should def help them get more people to come out to games, I'll prolly ending up getting the jersey too lol.

• Owner

Perfect fit if Iverson isn't looking to contend this year (sort of goes against what he was wanting, but no contender has the room or the offense for him).

Simply put, the Knicks are the old Suns, minus the talent, leadership and chemistry. They are a troubled team defensively, but they run the ball up and down the floor and have many different ways of scoring. You add talent, and you add scoring and, most of the time, victories. Under D'Antoni, Phoenix ran the "seven second offense," where they would literally try and find a great position to score within seven seconds, most of the time off of long rebounds (due to defensive stops by Marion or Bell). While they did have those defenders, their team defense was horrible, and their defense at the point and at the center position (where Amare was) didn't leave anything to be desired for, either.

So, in New York, you have David Lee playing center...and we know how he is defensively. Iverson isn't a good defensive player, probably better than Nash...but what does that really matter? One gambles, one just gets burned, so no difference there. New York has a shooter in Gallinari, has a versatile Harrington, a speed demon in Robinson, and a coach that runs.

Thing is, the Knicks are ninth in points per game (at over 101 per)...but are second to last in points allowed (109.5 per), and they allow 50% shooting. The Suns, who are doing VERY well this season, allow 47.7% shooting and are 25th in that regard (which is very bad), 26th in allowed points per game (at 106 per) and first in points scored per game, at approx. 110.

What does all of that mean? The Knicks are building a Suns clone for D'Antoni. They are modeling their team after Amare, Nash, Bell, Marion, Barbosa and that old D'Antoni.

In their head, they are thinking that, if they do this AND lure in LeBron James next season, that automatically bumps them up to contender status...and it does. They won't play much defense aside from LeBron's ability to block shots on a break, but Phoenix didn't need defense to get to the WCF and eventually get robbed of the NBA Finals (and I'm almost certain they would've defeated the Cavaliers in 2007, also, for their first NBA championship).

Good move by the Knicks, really. If they get LeBron, they would have put together a poor man's version of the Suns...but with a superstar that can take them all the way to the Finals.

• Like 1