Charlotte's point guards not getting it done

Case in point: The score was tied when the Bobcats exited a timeout with the ball and about 30 seconds left Wednesday in Philadelphia. If ever a play should run smoothly, it's late-game directly following a timeout.

Problem: Stephen Jackson is new to the team and moved to the wrong side of the basket to begin the play. He didn't know better and Felton didn't notice as play commenced. From there, everything collapsed: No timing, no floor balance, a desperate shot (Boris Diaw's 3-pointer from the corner).

That miss led to a long rebound, a 76ers fast break, point guard Lou Williams' layup, and another perplexing near-miss.

Ideally, Felton would have moved Jackson to the correct spot. At minimum, Felton should have called timeout. That's a point guard's mission - organize.

Afterward coach Larry Brown began a sentence with "The point guards..." then abruptly stopped speaking, apparently to avoid saying something he'd regret.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/1065882.html

I've never though of Felton as a leader. He passes on a steady point guard level and does everything a point guard should do, but he goes through the motions and doesn't exactly lead. He does what's asked of him from a numbers standpoint and that's it. He has the raw skills to be a starter, but his lack of leadership would make him an ideal back-up point guard somewhere who can just keep the offense rolling when the lead point needs a rest. He's not a crunch time competitor, to sum it up. Augustin is a good little point guard, though, but he still has a few years until he really contributes meaningfully to Charlotte (or wherever he goes when he realises Charlotte never has any intention of winning or even making the playoffs).

Good recipe I found back in 2001, figured Charlotte could use it:

Allen Iverson + Larry Brown + Defense = Victories

You're kidding yourself if you think 2009/2010 Iverson can do the same things as 1997-2002 Iverson. Iverson on any team = distraction and nothing else.

• Owner

You're kidding yourself if you think 2009/2010 Iverson can do the same things as 1997-2002 Iverson. Iverson on any team = distraction and nothing else.

They don't need him to be the 2001 Iverson, they need him to score the ball.

And how do you know Iverson on any team is a distraction? He's only played for two since LEADING the Nuggets to a 50-win season just two years ago, and both of those teams (the Pistons and the Grizzlies) are still non-playoff teams without him. They should've started him.

EDIT: I really don't consider a 39-win Pistons team to be a playoff team. Yes, in the East they are...but no team should really be considered a good one if they win less than 41.

Sorry on the late reply, everytime I try to write one, I get busy and therefore forget where I am so I quit and start again and quit etc. etc. But it's 10pm here, so I'm sure no one will bother me for a few minutes.

They don't need him to be the 2001 Iverson, they need him to score the ball.

So the Bobcats have only score more than 100 points a grand total of once, which was today. They sure do need his scoring, but at what cost? If they plan on being competetive they have to sacrifice minutes from Augustin and Felton or they have to bench Jackson which will only cause headaches. And if they don't plan on being competetive, well why bother signing him? He only wants to play for winning teams like the Grizzlies etc. lol.

And how do you know Iverson on any team is a distraction? He's only played for two since LEADING the Nuggets to a 50-win season just two years ago, and both of those teams (the Pistons and the Grizzlies) are still non-playoff teams without him. They should've started him.

EDIT: I really don't consider a 39-win Pistons team to be a playoff team. Yes, in the East they are...but no team should really be considered a good one if they win less than 41.

Oh please, he's been a distraction since his 76ers days. He was just too damn good then for the management to really be upset with him. First came the practive fiasco, which I believe he was fined for, unless I'm lying, which I might be. Then there was the dress code, with the new implementations ruining his swagger, which cost him a little bit more money in fines. But he was averaging 25+ points and 7+ assists, putting people in seats and most importantly, winning enough games for the 76ers to be relevant. Who would complain? Although no one publicly came out and said it, Iverson was distracting in his Sixer days.

My memory on him with the Nuggets is very vague, as I do remember him playing fairly well there, but they played no defense and many blamed it on Iverson's influence. Although it's not a direct distraction per se, it is him teaching dirty habits to a bright team. It's not surprise that when he left and Billups, a well regarded defender, came in that the Nuggets became formidable defensively.

I don't even have to mention his Pistons/Grizzlies days because you already know what happened with him there. Here's a quick rundown, though:

- Pistons: I don't get the ball enough

- Pistons: We're not winning enough

- Pistons: I'm happy coming off the bench

- Pistons: They never even consulted me about coming off the bench

- Pistons: I'm going to sit out and speak openly about being traded for four months

- Grizzlies: I haven't played a game yet and I'm making stupid comments about Grizzlies being contenders

- Grizzlies: I've played three games on a new teams and I'm not starting yet. What is this? I'm leaving.

- Grizzlies: I don't want to play here anymore.. just say it's family related, even though it makes no sense.

He's 34. He's no longer a 25/7 player. He cares more about getting his than he does about playing ball and he's just downright annoying with regards to how any team handles him, period. I hope nobody signs him, to be honest. I think the league is ready to forget about Iverson and his bull[expletive].

• Like 1

I would honestly start Iverson over Felton and have DJ as the backup. Sign Iverson and look to trade Felton because Felton isn't cutting it at all for the Bobcats. Just seems like he rushes his shots all the time. At least Iverson would score for the Bobcats (which they need) and have Larry Brown as a coach, which we all know Brown and AI's history together.

Sign him to a 1 year deal, what do you have to lose? Nothing at this point if you're the Bobcats.