Bucks...playoff bound?

Dash

Granted they don't have the toughest of schedules but they are 8-4.

We still have yet to see what this team can do when fully healthy (Bogut and Redd out) and Jennings is stealing wins with a supporting cast of Hakim Warrick, Ersan Ilyasova, etc. I'm a little worried that Redd might hurt the ball movement but I still think this is a 7th seed team.

Thoughts?

I think having Redd back will be a big help on offense. Although Ilyasova, Charlie, and Delfino have all been doing a good job knocking down their shots, I think having Redd back will give a legit outside presence that will space things out even more for Jennings, and give him another option on those high key pick n rolls with Bogut. Hopefully good defense from the rest of the team can help Redd pick up his game on that end of the court as well.

Jennings is proving to be a franchise player that you can build around. Having Bogut and Redd back, it will benefit both their game and Jennings. As long as the Bucks continue to play good defense and out-rebound their opponents, with Redd and Bogut's return, they should remain on pace for a 7th seed or even a 6th seed spot in the playoffs.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think Redd hurts our chances. We were winning without him and I think we could continue to do so. Redd out opened up 15-25 more shots for everyone else to share.

I think Bogut's absence will hurt us a lot more. We're missing a big man to grab boards on both ends of the floor as well as to penetrate the lane to score the easy buckets as well as open up shooting lanes in the backcourt.

It is time to trade Redd. Jennings has shown enough that he will be this team's franchise player moving forward, even if he doesn't average 25 this year all year chances are he will down the road.

But really they have had an absolute cupcake schedule. The only impressive win is the one over Denver everything else is over non-playoff teams/complete garbage teams.

If I had to give a straight answer it is no, they are not better than the Raptors and Bulls. They could fight for the 8 seed. Maybe if Jennings can maintain his effectiveness and Redd can have a positive impact upon his return they can. I just don't see enough talent over an 82 game season that can get them into the playoffs.

Plus I am pretty confident Jennings is going to hit a wall once teams focus on him defensively, kind of like the Spurs seemed to do.

Wait until the Bucks go on a west coast trip and then let's see how their record looks.

• Owner

Trade Redd and bring in a third scoring option (12-13 PPG) and a defensive-minded player up front. My brain isn't working right now, so I don't remember what Redd's contract looks like...but if it's an expiring, you can get much more than you bargained for (but it's probably not, I believe it's two more years when I checked before I recorded the podcast, PO next year).

Either way, the team is fine and can make the playoffs with Jennings, Bogut, and one more decent scoring option. They could've used Jefferson this season...would've been nice.

I'm going to with hold judgement on the Bucks until I see a couple of things from this team.

First, I want to see how they manage to play when they face some legit teams on a consistent basis. Not trying to hate on the Bucks or anything, but their schedule so far has been ridiculously easy thus far. Just take a look at their wins thus far:

Detroit at home

Minnesota on the road

New York at home

Denver at home

Golden State at home

New Jersey at home

Charlotte at home

Memphis on the road

So out of their 8 wins 6 of them have been at home, and only 1 of them have come against a team that is above .500. They have lost to:

Philly on the road

Chicago on the road

Dallas at home

San Antonio on the road

New Orleans on the road

So other than Denver, the Bucks have lost to basically all of the teams that they have played who would be considerd above average or good. They are 2-4 on the road.

They have had an easy schedule, but then again you can say that they have won the games that they were supposed to win. Still though, lets see what their record is when they play some good teams consistently. They have lost 2 in a row thus far and their next 3 games are against the Thunder, Magic and Bulls (the last 2 are at home) so they could end up on a 5 game slide or so.

Secondly, lets see if Jennings can continue this level of play all season long. He has gotten off to a great start but 14 games or so is very little in terms of an NBA season. Lets see if he can continue to put up these kinds of numbers and sustain this level of play over an extended period of time and avoid hitting the rookie wall like so many players do. Teams are going to start focusing more on him defensively and going after him more offensively and lets see how this will affect his performance.

The Bucks have definitely been better than I thought they would be, but lets see where they are at when they have played some tougher competition and see how they handle the adversity that is inevitably going to come at some point during the season.

• Owner

Wow, never took a glance at their schedule. They did escape with some close wins, also (close down the stretch).

Good point about Jennings, especially when you tie it into the lack of contenders they have played. Get him going against the likes of LA, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando, and you may see a different player come February.

Bad thing for the Bucks...they have that easy schedule now, which means it's more than likely heavy on the other side, and probably the most important side, at a time when they have to make that push for the final seed in the East.

Trade Redd and bring in a third scoring option (12-13 PPG) and a defensive-minded player up front. My brain isn't working right now, so I don't remember what Redd's contract looks like...but if it's an expiring, you can get much more than you bargained for (but it's probably not, I believe it's two more years when I checked before I recorded the podcast, PO next year).

Either way, the team is fine and can make the playoffs with Jennings, Bogut, and one more decent scoring option. They could've used Jefferson this season...would've been nice.

battier?

i dunno if rockets would bite on it tho.

• Owner

battier?

i dunno if rockets would bite on it tho.

Houston already has McGrady waiting to get back into the five. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to tackle Michael Redd, especially when he's not a free agent among the notorious 2010 FA class.

As a lot of people have said, let's wait till Milwaukee plays some tougher opponents. Not only have they had an easy schedule, but according to basketball-reference.com, they've had the easiest schedule. Give them credit for beating the majority of the teams they're supposed to beat, but they're still a question mark.

On the other hand, even when they lose, they're playing close games which bodes well for their future. Also, now that Redd's back, let's see if they can keep playing well with him.

I'm going to leave everyone with this thought for today...

The Bucks are 7-2 without Redd

The Bucks are 1-3 with Redd

Regardless of how tough/easy our schedule has been and which of those games Redd has played in, I think it's time to shop him around a bit. Jennings and Bogut have both proven that they can be long time starters and even all stars in this league. Redd is past his time and our offense doesn't flow with him in it. I'd like to see us trade for a handful of picks in this years draft or some young talent with huge potential. Either way, Redd needs to be on his way out of Milwaukee.