Moving on

Real Deal

It seems like a thread like this is posted every other month regarding bans, suspensions, attacks, etc.

I honestly believe that people will never change and if so to a minimum. They will cool down for a little and go back to their ways.

IMO OTR is the best board around no doubt but if someone or something causes me or anyone to get out of line which results in a suspension or ban then you figure out ways to cope. Whether its to stop frequenting message boards to to just move on to the next one.

I hate to say this but it's true. It just always sounds like a broken record.

• Owner

It seems like a thread like this is posted every other month regarding bans, suspensions, attacks, etc.

I honestly believe that people will never change and if so to a minimum. They will cool down for a little and go back to their ways.

IMO OTR is the best board around no doubt but if someone or something causes me or anyone to get out of line which results in a suspension or ban then you figure out ways to cope. Whether its to stop frequenting message boards to to just move on to the next one.

I hate to say this but it's true. It just always sounds like a broken record.

Well, I really should be able to avoid this stuff to begin with, but with the recent bans and suspensions, people want answers. The only thing I can say to that is that, when they ask me to deal with members they don't like, bans are most definitely up for discussion in their minds, and a great example of this would be this small sentence from a PM I got two months ago:

"I doubt OTR even recognizes his absence in the first place, tbh. He doesnt contribute to the forum, so you might as well hang him out to dry."

But, when I banned Slaven, this same exact member had a problem with it on AIM, said something about how things should be let go every once in a while, that nobody is ever offended (basically speaking for everyone on the site).

That's not how it works, and everyone should know that. I have done far too much keeping a lot of our dedicated guys at bay, yet pulled the trigger much quicker for the new members...and that's where the problem was. New members have felt insecure about their stay here because, for one, it's tough to fit in when posts are strongly influenced by how long you've been registered here, and two, they find that OTR is more of an off-topic site where discussion is triggered by either comedic actions, personal attacks or anger.

We were moving in the wrong direction. We need to spin around and change our pace and intentions ASAP.

• Like 1

I definitely agree and I do believe the constant problem causers just dont care anymore and instead of just moving on they hang around and create problems.

I'm not no angel either. There have been many times were I have typed out a post and canceled it or deleted a post because I didn't want to tick people off.

I don't always agree with how things are done, cause I don't personally mind an aggressive style of posting, but I still like this forum overall. A lot of the members here seem to know their stuff.

I only average out 4 posts per day... I'll see if I can contribute more, and help this site grow back to whatever it used to be (I haven't even been a member for a full year yet).

I have a suggestion that I'm sure many of the members will hate but I feel it would help new members fit in a bit more.

How about eliminating individual post count being shown in threads? Maybe they could still be available on the user's page but just not in threads. That would in a way make everyone "equal" when posting and people wouldn't feel like they had little impact on the site due to their post count.

Just a thought. :dribble:

• Like 1

I have a suggestion that I'm sure many of the members will hate but I feel it would help new members fit in a bit more.

How about eliminating individual post count being shown in threads? Maybe they could still be available on the user's page but just not in threads. That would in a way make everyone "equal" when posting and people wouldn't feel like they had little impact on the site due to their post count.

Just a thought. :dribble:

I'm liking this idea.

• Owner

Removing post count numbers doesn't change anything. It doesn't encourage you guys to post more, and when a new member registers to a 100k post forum, he is fully aware that he's starting out at zero.

Are you guys saying that someone is less likely to register at RealGM to discuss basketball, and stay on there, just because they show post count numbers in topics?

JBB removed the post counts from the left pane, and it didn't do anything. NBAD removed them, and nothing.

People are going to want that at this time (meaning those who are already here) because it helps me find out how active members are over time, as you also see the registration month and year.

It also assists me in finding those here just to spam their site in their sig. If I see that they are making short posts that really make little sense to the topic, and see the site link, I look over and notice they have 35 posts or so...and it's a quicker way to lure me into checking in on the rest of their posts, and comparing it to how active they are on their own site.

New members don't stay because of how they are treated. If it's a Lakers fan, the comment is, "Great, another Lakers fan!" If it's a member who dives into a religious topic the first week he's here, there's no chance he wants to stick around. It's been that way for five years. Removing left-pane post count view doesn't change anything.

• Like 2

Removing post count numbers doesn't change anything. It doesn't encourage you guys to post more, and when a new member registers to a 100k post forum, he is fully aware that he's starting out at zero.

Are you guys saying that someone is less likely to register at RealGM to discuss basketball, and stay on there, just because they show post count numbers in topics?

JBB removed the post counts from the left pane, and it didn't do anything. NBAD removed them, and nothing.

People are going to want that at this time (meaning those who are already here) because it helps me find out how active members are over time, as you also see the registration month and year.

It also assists me in finding those here just to spam their site in their sig. If I see that they are making short posts that really make little sense to the topic, and see the site link, I look over and notice they have 35 posts or so...and it's a quicker way to lure me into checking in on the rest of their posts, and comparing it to how active they are on their own site.

New members don't stay because of how they are treated. If it's a Lakers fan, the comment is, "Great, another Lakers fan!" If it's a member who dives into a religious topic the first week he's here, there's no chance he wants to stick around. It's been that way for five years. Removing left-pane post count view doesn't change anything.

Why don't we try it for a month and see? Don't just shoot it down based on how other sites reacted to it, this is OTR, not NBAD.

• 4 weeks later...