Memo to Golden State Warriors: Corey Maggette Must Go

Legacy

It's no secret that the Golden State Warriors have been a much better team without their former captain, Stephen Jackson. Not only has the ball movement improved, but the overall chemistry has gotten higher and defense has been more efficient.

Now that one of the bums is gone, it's time for the Warriors to trade a player that they should have never signed in the first place: Corey Maggette.

Maggette's contract could be the worst in the league, he puts his stats before winning, and is injury prone. Well maybe the injury prone part is not that bad, since the Warriors are a better team when he does not play.

The Warriors went into Dallas, and beat the Mavericks. One of the reasons for the win was because Don Nelson did not coach, but we'll leave that for another article.

The main reason the Warriors won was because the youth played unselfishly, played defense, and played with heart. Those are some traits that the overpaid sixth man does not comprehend.

While Maggette may provide scoring, that is not what Golden State needs right now. If you want an example that stats are misleading, look at Maggette.

He averages 17 points per game and numerous free throw attempts, but what you do not see in the box score is the number of times he has killed the Warriors' momentum.

When the Warriors are down by a big margin, they usually put up a fight and make little runs to comeback near the end of the game. The young guys put up quality scoring streaks and display acts of teamwork.

But what could be their only mistake during the runs? Passing the ball to Maggette.

The lazy Maggette gets to the free throw line, but countless times during the game he chucks up random jump shots. Most of the jumps shots are bricks that do not even come close to going in.

The jump shots and ball-hogging are just a part of the problem Maggette causes. His defense is below average. He may draw a few charges once in a while, but he is a great flopper, something you should not be proud of.

Corey also turns the ball over more than you would expect. Some turnovers are because he lowers his shoulder while attacking the rim, but most of them are because of lazy passes and low-IQ plays.

Maggette has also averaged 1.8 assists per game since wearing a Golden State jersey. That is not a number you want from your veteran guard.

This is a memo to the Golden State Warriors, Corey Maggette needs to be traded because he is not a player the Warriors need, especially with his horrendous contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/298568-memo-to-golden-state-warriors-corey-maggette-must-go

• Like 4

Corey Regrette

lawlz

I knew it was a terrible signing. He's been exposed, if he can barely function in Don Nelson's offense he can't function anywhere. The guy is like a smaller version of Zach Randolph. He puts up pretty stats but those stats don't translate into wins. Never understood why you guys went after him anyways, good luck with him for the next four years, I don't see anybody willing to trade for the guy unless you get an equally horrible package in return.

I wouldn't call him lazy. He works very hard without the ball to establish good post position. And he really works hard near the basket. He's just so damn selfish. Since the Warriors are in a youth movement, I agree that he needs to go, but who will want him?

He gets lazy on defense and on offense he's lazy at times like when he constantly chucks up jumpers.

I have no clue who would want him, what front office is that retarded besides the Warriors?

Edited by Legacy

This reminds me when Ricky Davis and Mark Blount were traded to the Heat. Ricky put up numbers, but like Maggette he was one of those momentum killers, and getting rid of him played a good part in the Heat's huge win improvement last year. Getting rid of Mark last offseason has gotten rid of a total [expletive] hole in the locker room, improving chemistry this year. I can understand the Warriors' situation.

I have no clue who would want him, what front office is that retarded besides the Warriors?

I was just messing around on the Trade Machine on ESPN and came up with this one:

Warriors Trade:

Corey Maggette

Brandan Wright

Mavericks Trade:

Josh Howard

The incentive for the Warriors is that Howard is 10 million dollar expiring deal. This gives them a little bit more cap room to try and go after some newer played in the free agency. And of course, they don't have Maggette anymore. On the other side of the deal, the Mavericks get virtually the same 'black hole' type player that Howard was, and it's not a bad thing either because Maggette is actually a productive player when he wants to be, but they also get Wright, who's still an intriguing player because of his abilities. Plus the Mavericks aren't in re-building mode so this gives them less worrying to do about re-signing key role players during the break.

This was all purely for the fun of it. I don't actually believe this deal would happen, I just wanted to see if I could make a half-way decent one, heh.

As for the article, I really liked it, but one part was just a little bit awkward. I'm talking about this:

One of the reasons for the win was because Don Nelson did not coach, but we'll leave that for another article.

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I think it's a little awkward to say 'but we'll leave that for another article.' It just doesn't flow with the rest of the article. That's just my opinion of course. There's nothing wrong with it being there, I just thought it didn't have any relevance with anything else written prior, nor after it.

I see no one has repped you for the article, so I will. It's pretty tough coming up with ideas for these, so good job.

I was just messing around on the Trade Machine on ESPN and came up with this one:

As for the article, I really liked it, but one part was just a little bit awkward. I'm talking about this:

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I think it's a little awkward to say 'but we'll leave that for another article.' It just doesn't flow with the rest of the article. That's just my opinion of course. There's nothing wrong with it being there, I just thought it didn't have any relevance with anything else written prior, nor after it.

Haha, yeah. I see what you mean, but this was more of a blog than an article if you could look at it in that way. I was just saying stuff out of my mind, but in a bit of a article format. When I write articles, I write very loose and free, then correct errors and add descriptive words as I go along. As for that, it just went with the flow when I was writing, and didn't take it out.

I see no one has repped you for the article, so I will. It's pretty tough coming up with ideas for these, so good job.

Thanks. I was actually going to make a thread about how rep is supposed to be used. You don't rep a person for having comebacks and insults all the time, you need to rep people based on the quality of their posts.

I'm not trying to be biased, but people that post smartly and the writers of the site should have way more than the clowns and pricks of the communtity.

Maggette needs to go but at that contract no one wants him. Riley can't be Houdini twice, he's not getting out of this one. Everyone works the mark of the league (Charlotte) but the Dubs have already gone to that well. Yes Corey needs to go, but nooooooo one wants a one-way me-only stat hog making that much long term. You can't take the approach of you got rid of one mistake now dump the other, doesn't work that way. The only way they can deal Maggette is by taking on an even worse contract, which Cohan and Rowell will refuse to do. A GM is only trading for Maggette at gunpoint.