Computer Help/Discussion Thread

Cobb

I've got a question for you computer guru's *cough cough lkr*.

Since I use my computer a lot I ALWAYS have it plugged it. Is that a bad thing considering I leave it on overnight basically every night of the year?

Facebook won't load up for me. Every other website works fine, but Facebook won't load. Whenever I try to click on links from my email (like when someone responds to a status, friend requests, ect.) I get a 404 - Page Not Found error. I've cleared my cache and cookies, ran CCleaner, and disabled Windows and Comodo firewall, but it still won't load up.

I'm running a virus scan now, but it hasn't picked anything up yet. I'm about to pull my hair out here, anyone got any suggestions?

its a laptop? turn it off before you kill dat battery

I have two batteries because one only last like 3 minutes before it dies. I usually just leave that one in at all times. It is possible for it to completely die? To the point where I can't even have it in my computer when it's plugged in?

• 7 months later...

Chrome has flash built in. It takes a minute for it to realize you have flash on espn

Still no luck. When I refresh the page I catch a glimpse of the picture in the video, but then it just goes black and I can't click on the play button.

http://i55.tinypic.com/qrk7m0.jpg

.exe

a .exe file won't run in linux, that is a windows executable file. you'll have to get a linux compatible compile of it.

How to install software in Ubuntu:

There are several ways to do this. A few of them are these, from easiest to hardest:

- Using the Software Center. Go to Applications -> Software Center. Look for software, press Install.

- Using .deb files. DEB files are sort of like .exe or .msi installers for Windows, but even easier. You can get them from the Internet if the Software Center doesn't provide an app (for instance on Getdeb.net). Doubleclick to open them, press Install.

- Using a PPA. Software in the Ubuntu repositories is updates with every release, so if you want a cutting edge version of an app, you could use a Personal Package Archive from Launchpad. For instance, if you want to try out Nautilus Elementary from this PPA, open a Terminal and enter these commands:

- "Raw" Linux programs. These don't really install themselves, you just run them. For instance, if you download Firefox from Mozilla's website (instead of using the regular Software Center method), you'll get a tar.gz file. Rightclick and Extract it, then go into the folder and run the "firefox" file.

- Compile from source. I won't show how to do this, but if the app isn't in the Software Center, doesn't have a pre-packaged DEB and only provides the source code, this is always a possibility.

Edited by Lkr
  • Like 1