Wade wants to play with Dwight

Riot

ORLANDO -- Miami's Dwyane Wade just raised the intrigue -- and opened a world of possibilities -- over his pending free agency when he was asked Wednesday afternoon who he really would like to play with in the NBA.

Wade will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, allowing him to play anywhere he wants.

"If I could pick one player in the league today to play with -- and most people think I'd say LeBron James -- I would pick Dwight (Howard)," Wade told FanHouse Wednesday after practice at Amway Arena. "I'd love for that to happen at some point. Dwight is already close right here in Orlando. People who say it couldn't happen (us playing on the same team), they don't know. I've learned in this league that anything is possible."

"I've played with a dominant center before, and there's nothing like it. It changes the whole game. It's why I'd love to play with Dwight. He's a phenomenal center who has only just scratched the surface of where he'll be," Wade said. "And he's the type of guy you'd really like to be around."

Read the rest

Holy [expletive], if only that could happen. That would be incredible. Wow.

That would be huge for Orlando. It really doesn't surprise me that Wade would want to go there though. He'd still be in the same state and as he said would be playing with arguably the best center in the league. Those two together would be lethal. Then add in players like Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis and you could have one of the best teams in the league.

It would be insane.

Dwight Howard brings so much to the table and helps the players around him and the team. I would LOVE to see Chris Paul with Dwight, or even Deron Williams.

A skilled passer who can feed Dwights athleticism. Oh boy would that be entertaining.

• Owner

The only way this could happen is if Wade took the MLE to play for Orlando. Just for next year until they have enough money to give him big bucks.

Or a sign-and-trade after everything he gave the Miami Heat...but the organization would be completely foolish to trade him to a contending East team, so the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Impossible, just that simple.

It's not exactly impossible. Improbable, but not impossible. Strictly speaking on a contract basis, Wade could be signed by the Heat and then traded to the Magic or he could opt for a significant pay cut to go to a contender. While both options seem improbable, they are not impossible.

Wade's scoring average is the highest against the Magic then any other team in the league at 30.3 points per game in 18 games since 2003. He also shoots his second highest percentage versus the Magic (.531 compared to the LA Clippers, where he shoots .532). I'd love to have him on the Magic if he would stop hurting us every time he plays, hah.

People just assume that big free agents like Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are gonna sign like eight-year deals for the max. I mean, who really knows what they're gonna do, exactly? If any of them really cared that much about winning, they would just sign one year deals each year and jump from favorite to favorite. At least, that's what I would do if I was them. I value winning so much more than money though, so I doubt any of them would just take one-year deals.

Edited by HOV

People just assume that big free agents like Wade, Bosh, and LeBron are gonna sign like eight-year deals for the max. I mean, who really knows what they're gonna do, exactly? If any of them really cared that much about winning, they would just sign one year deals each year and jump from favorite to favorite. At least, that's what I would do if I was them. I value winning so much more than money though, so I doubt any of them would just take one-year deals.

I think with the way the economy is right now all the big names will be advised to take long term guaranteed contracts and run with it.

And the jumping from team to team year after year is one of the worst things i have ever heard. What kind of fanbase would a team have if players did that? None.

There would be no such thing as a franchise player, players could not develop properly (even stars continue to improve, lbj is a perfect example of someone who has a lot of room to improve), teams could not develop properly, nah... theres a reason that long term contracts are signed and switching team to team is a terrible way to go about winning. You cannot just throw seemingly good players onto a roster year after year and expect it to work out for the best. We have seen this theory proven wrong countless times in the NBA (Clippers now and Knicks of a few years back are perfect examples of this) and nine times out of ten it does not work.

As to the original post....

I think people are looking way too far into this. This sounds like is Wade simply leaving a door open. This could also be Wade suggesting to management that they really need to bring in a great big for him to play with (ala Bosh or Amare) or he may sign with another team.

This is also something that is no where near impossible or even implausible. With the Lakers pretty much wrapping up the next 3 rings, the Thunder becoming a serious force - who are bound to land a big man and they will be contending then - and all these other teams stacking up with great players, both wade and howard know that their team will need to consist of a franchise big and franchise small to contend.

Edited by bravenewworld

I'm not stirring the pot. The best team in the NBA fluctuates year to year. This year, it's the Lakers. Next year, it might be the Blazers or Nuggets. Signing one year deals would give players flexibility. They could sigh with heavy favorites each year. With long-term deals, you won't be in that position.

I'm not stirring the pot. The best team in the NBA fluctuates year to year. This year, it's the Lakers. Next year, it might be the Blazers or Nuggets. Signing one year deals would give players flexibility. They could sigh with heavy favorites each year. With long-term deals, you won't be in that position.

Wait.... "The best team in the NBA fluctuates year to year. This year, it's the Lakers."

Not to sound like an A-Hole or be rude but i am determining that you do not watch the NBA nor do you know the definition of the word "fluctuate".

09-10 - Lakers are the suggested champions (W or W/O Artest they would probably be in this spot)

08-09 - Lakers win the championship.

07-08 - Lakers lose in the NBA Finals.

How is that fluctuation? And to make what youre saying even less valid i will point out one more fact.

In 11 years the Spurs and Lakers hold 8 titles (Before these two teams, in the 90s out of an 8 year time span the Bulls won 6). That is 3 they did not win, THREE! And they both did it by holding on to the same players year after year and developing them and their system.

So in a 19 year time frame 3 teams have won a total of 14 titles. This is the exact opposite of fluctuation.

Edited by bravenewworld
  • Like 2

^ Well said. I think it's proven that keeping a team together longer is much better for both developing individual players and entire teams. Just look at teams like Oklahoma City and Sacramento, versus teams who made big offseason moves like Toronto and Memphis.

But you're not even considering the impact guys like Wade and LeBron would have on their new teams.

Let's say LeBron signs an eight-year deal with the Knicks. He's not gonna win a ring or go to finals each of those eight years.

Now instead, let's say he goes to a team that's already a contender. He could play there a year and go to another contender or stay with that same team one more year.

It's all preference. This is just what I would do if I was them. I'm pretty sure they'll all take long-term deals with max contracts though.

But you're not even considering the impact guys like Wade and LeBron would have on their new teams.

Let's say LeBron signs an eight-year deal with the Knicks. He's not gonna win a ring or go to finals each of those eight years.

Now instead, let's say he goes to a team that's already a contender. He could play there a year and go to another contender or stay with that same team one more year.

It's all preference. This is just what I would do if I was them. I'm pretty sure they'll all take long-term deals with max contracts though.

No its not really preference at all.

If you were an NBA player who wanted to do this (play for a team one year then another the next then another a year after that ect. ect. ect.) your agent would drop you as a client faster then my cell phone provider drops my calls, and you would never be able to hire another agent again because your previous agent has already put the word out that his previous client was a moron who just wanted to be in the right place at the right time.

This is why you NEVER see this happen in the NBA. The closest thing you see to this happening is one year vet contracts and those are usually just to determine if the team would like to sign them to an extended 2-4 year contract and the player is playing to prove that he is worth a 2-4 year contract.

Also, there is no such thing as an 8 year contract.

No such thing as 8 year contracts brah.