Wade wants to play with Dwight

Riot

Would Wade take a big cut to play with Dwight in Orlando, to try and win another championship? That's the question...

I don't think so. Its too much money to leave on the table when he's got something good building in Miami.

HOV you are forgetting the most important thing and that is called LEGACY. All of these players are striving to be one of the all time greatest, they would look like complete fools if they jumped from team to team, they want to be able to say I led or helped lead this franchise to that and thats where my identity is. Do you think Michael Jordan would have been as succesful, or at least half as well known as he is today if he jumped from team to team looking for rings (not that he needed to)? Every great player has an identity, for MJ its the Bulls, Magic its the Lakers, Duncan its the Spurs, Iverson its the Sixers, etc.

Not to mention, one year deals are only guaranteed for one year (obviously). You can sign a 7 year deal, be guaranteed top dollar for every season, and not have to worry about the free agent process every summer. Going from team to team is a very stupid idea, and no offense I dont know how anyone could believe thats a good idea lol.

• Like 1

But you're not even considering the impact guys like Wade and LeBron would have on their new teams.

Let's say LeBron signs an eight-year deal with the Knicks. He's not gonna win a ring or go to finals each of those eight years.

Now instead, let's say he goes to a team that's already a contender. He could play there a year and go to another contender or stay with that same team one more year.

Even if players jump from contender to contender, there's still no guarentee of reaching the Finals, or even the Conference Finals.

For example, O'Neal's recent forays with different teams has him 5 years on from his most recent championship with the Heat. Once he saw the Heat were losing, he became a difficult person to have around the organization and was traded. After being trade, and after failing to make the playoffs for the first time in his career with Phoenix, he asked for a trade. And now, with Cleveland, the Cavaliers are almost undefeated without O'Neal and have 4 losses in 14 games when O'Neal plays. Not just that, but the Cavaliers don't look like the team many optimists thought they would be with O'Neal.

It might be great to win lots of games and never have a losing regular season record, but it doesn't always equate to the ultimate NBA success in the end.

It's all preference. This is just what I would do if I was them. I'm pretty sure they'll all take long-term deals with max contracts though.

For many, it's comfort and stability. Why else would, for example, Hedo Turkoglu have just signed a 5 years, $50 million dollar deal which pays him $10 million dollars ever year? Because if he continually signed one year deals, there's no guarentee that he'll be worth the same amount of money in two or three years which means he could effectively lose in excess of ~$25 million dollars on his NBA contract.

What is there? I heard about max contracts, but I don't know what those are.

6 Year Deal is the max years. The max money varies from situation to situation. For example, Garnett or O'Neal could sign another max deal for $22+ million dollars per year plus 10%. Meanwhile, Roy just signed an extension for $12.5 million per year, which is his 'max'. It varies depending on how long you've been in the league, how many years you've played for the same team etc. etc.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from, but I would go with one-year deals. That would just be my personal preference.

I'm really good at considering the future in every decision. With the way the NBA is now with different free agency pools each year, international talent entering the league, and players get traded for whatever reasons... I wouldn't want to gamble on a long-term deal.

You guys think it's more risky to sign one-year deals each year and I just don't agree. Becoming a free agent each summer would allow you to scout the talent pool. You could assess moves made by each team and see how they improve or decline depending on those moves.

It's just the way I would do it. Jeff Van Gundy brought up the idea on a telecast a couple weeks ago and I fell in love with the idea. Again, I see where you're coming from, but there's no way I would sign a six-year deal for the max when I could just sign one-year deals and play for a true contender each season.