Erick Blasco's NBA Gameplan: Episode 2

It took me long enough but I finally uploaded my 2nd episode of NBA Gameplan. I got a new notebook after I uploaded the first episode and Vimeo has problems with 64-bit operating systems. I wanted this uploaded last Saturday, and it took me a while to figure out another place that hosts videos that are over 100mb and 10 minutes long, until I discovered Veoh. Plus two final research papers and a take home final were all due within the last 8 days for me. Anyway, this episode is about Omri Casspi, Derrick Rose, and the Wizards offense. Enjoy!

Erick Blasco's NBA Gameplan Episode 2

Edited by Erick Blasco
  • Like 2

You made some very good points in this video. It's great watching your videos cause I'm always learning something new.

There are some things you can improve on in your presentation for the entertainment factor.

For one, try to make the same points in less words or just in less time. You spent 8 minutes talking about Omri, when it could have been easily brought the same points and the same message in 4 minutes or less. Try to find ways to shorten the time, get more to the point, and make it feel less dragged out.

Like, for example, you tend to replay the same thing twice, and video clips tend to be dragged out longer than they should. Even an extra second or two can change the whole flow of the video itself for the worse. Instead, maybe you can find a way to enhance your editing, freeze the frame, use arrows and circles to point to where we should be pay attention to, make the point, and move on.

You did a much better job when talking about Derick Rose. The video felt smoother there and more to the point than the first part about Omri Casspi.

Just giving a little constructive criticism as a viewer, btw. You made some great points in the videos, and I look forward to you next one :)

+1 for the effort.

You made some very good points in this video. It's great watching your videos cause I'm always learning something new.

There are some things you can improve on in your presentation for the entertainment factor.

For one, try to make the same points in less words or just in less time. You spent 8 minutes talking about Omri, when it could have been easily brought the same points and the same message in 4 minutes or less. Try to find ways to shorten the time, get more to the point, and make it feel less dragged out.

Like, for example, you tend to replay the same thing twice, and video clips tend to be dragged out longer than they should. Even an extra second or two can change the whole flow of the video itself for the worse. Instead, maybe you can find a way to enhance your editing, freeze the frame, use arrows and circles to point to where we should be pay attention to, make the point, and move on.

You did a much better job when talking about Derick Rose. The video felt smoother there and more to the point than the first part about Omri Casspi.

Just giving a little constructive criticism as a viewer, btw. You made some great points in the videos, and I look forward to you next one :)

+1 for the effort.

You are very, very right. My editing software doesn't have the gimmicks other software has, like arrows, circles, etc. I can't even add a blank black screen, or freeze the frame. I have to manipulate the credits to add black title screens or take a picture of the screen and reinsert it for a freeze frame. It's pretty much, cut, paste, or do weird things to the screen like make everything blue. Believe me, I'd LOVE to be able to highlight Casspi because I know viewers sort of get lost not knowing where he is on a given play. I think that's why I repeat. The first time I show the play and once people know where he is, I repeat it so they can really see what's going on.

I'm still open to the presentation style. I guess I'm in this mode where I want to show EVERY relevant clip of a player if it matches what I'm talking about. So I showed virtually everything Cassp did, and I think 14 of the 16 shots Rose took in the game. Apparently it isn't working.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what suggestions other people make and go from there.

Edited by Erick Blasco

Seeing multiple examples isn't a bad thing at all. As long as they are shown a bit more quickly or smoothly with just a good overall flow to the video and it doesn't feel dragged out.

I understand why you were replaying the part on Casspi. I was having trouble find where exactly where he was on each play. Though the replay helped me figure things out, it got a bit tiring as a viewer trying to repetitively focus on the point being made and where Casspi is located at the same time. If you can find a way to work in the arrows, circles, highlights, etc. to smoothin things up that would be great.

Seeing multiple examples isn't a bad thing at all. As long as they are shown a bit more quickly or smoothly with just a good overall flow to the video and it doesn't feel dragged out.

I understand why you were replaying the part on Casspi. I was having trouble find where exactly where he was on each play. Though the replay helped me figure things out, it got a bit tiring as a viewer trying to repetitively focus on the point being made and where Casspi is located at the same time. If you can find a way to work in the arrows, circles, highlights, etc. to smoothin things up that would be great.

If I could add the arrows, circles, and highlights I would. Believe me, I know what you're saying in how they make it look much better. I just can't use them because AVS Video Editor doesn't have them. Is there anything you think would work that doesn't involve highlighting and arrows and stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Erick I finally got the video to work. Very detailed analysis again. I wonder how much of Rose's struggles have to do with his ankle. He hasn't played very well but he's still a tremendous talent and I think the Bulls fans need to be more patient with him.

You should consider doing video full time.

Glad it finally worked for you. I have no idea what the problem could have been. If it were Rose's left ankle that was troubling him, I'd be concerned because you usually push off your left ankle to shoot if you're right handed. Since it's Rose's right ankle, I don't think it affects his mechanics too much.

And with his struggles in the paint, I just think he's fallen in love with his floater and being a finesse guard. He has the body to be a difference maker on drives to the basket and it's frustrating watching him shoot driving fallaways 12 feet from the rim. He should get out of it eventually, but that's not how he should play. If you're, arguably, the most athletic point guard to play the game since Magic, you should be using it better.

I've never thought about doing video full time. Maybe I'll consider it after I'm down with these team breakdowns.