Charge or Block?

BadgerFan

• Owner

Neither charge nor travel. Bogut was shuffling his feet on contact, and the continuation was deserved because Kobe took two steps after fully gathering the ball. The refs got the call right.

Amazing. You MUST be a Lakers fan! ;)

That's exactly right, though. Bogut was sliding right when Kobe gathered, contact was made and Bogut's foot tripped up Bryant, causing the extra step, and the foul was made, continuation was allowed, and Bryant put up the ball.

Great call by the referees. If it was rigged, they wouldn't have let the Lakers go down by a nearly-impossible six points with a minute to go, lol...but yeah, it just sucks to have to contain Bryant.

They would have been up by 4 with 40 seconds left, instead it's a one point game. It made a HUGE difference. Even some NBA anylsists are saying that the call was a joke.

If Bogut would have drove in and did the same exact thing against Kobe Bryant, do you think it would be a charge or a block? Answer is pretty obvious imo.

They would have been up by 4 with 40 seconds left, instead it's a one point game. It made a HUGE difference. Even some NBA anylsists are saying that the call was a joke.

If Bogut would have drove in and did the same exact thing against Kobe Bryant, do you think it would be a charge or a block? Answer is pretty obvious imo.

NBA rule states that as long as you have posistion, your allowed to not have your feet set in order for it to be a charge. Bogut had clear posistion, and Kobe spun right into him. It's a clear cut charge imo.

He traveled first anyways, and he spun right into Bogut who had posistion.

you obviously have a personal beef with kobe... that was blatantly a charge.

as long as you have position? so if im doing star jumps in the same spot and someone knocks me when they drive to basket its a charge?

he didnt travel, i think your watching the wrong tape. hthen bogut fouled him.

and finally, wtf was bogut (a 7 footer) doing trying to take a charge against someone 6 inches smaller than him? soft.

NBA rule states that as long as you have posistion, your allowed to not have your feet set in order for it to be a charge. Bogut had clear posistion, and Kobe spun right into him. It's a clear cut charge imo.

He traveled first anyways, and he spun right into Bogut who had posistion.

Bogut didn't have position at all. The rule about not having your feet completely set applies to natural set movements. Like lifting a left leg or maybe taking one step back with one leg, NOT a slow motion moonwalk which is what Bogut did.

Final Verdict: Bogut needs to work on his flopping.

Blocks/Charge: A block/charge foul occurs when a defender tries to get in front of his man to stop him from going in that direction. If he does not get into a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul. If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul. In both situations, if the contact is minimal, no foul may be called. To get into a legal position defending against the dribbler, the defender just needs to get in front of him. On a drive to the basket, the defender must get to his position before the shooter starts his upward shooting motion. For most other cases, the defender must get into position and allow enough distance for the offensive player to stop and/or change direction.

http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

When taking a charge, does the defensive player have to be still?

Basketball rules state that if a defensive player is in a legal defensive stance or position, the defensive player has the right to move in order to maintain his legal positioning. A charging call can be made even if the defensive player has one or both feet off of the ground when the offensive player makes contact with the defensive player. The basketball rule of “verticality” applies here. If a defensive player jumps straight up to block a shot and the offensive player jumps into and creates contact with the defender, an offensive charging call could be made. (Therefore, it is more important if a defender is squared up and contact is made to the defender’s chest than if the defender is moving.)

http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-rules/

A defensive player must be stationary to take a charge. Reality: Once a defensive player has obtained a legal guarding position, the defensive player may always move to maintain that guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the floor when contact occurs with the offensive player. Legal guarding position occurs when the defensive player has both feet on the floor and is facing the opponent. This applies to a defensive player who is defending the dribble.

http://www.nba.com/jrnba/officials/officials_guide_section15.html

Straight out of the rulebook. It was a charge.

• Owner

It's never called that way on the court, even if what you saw was what actually happened. He was back-pedaling anyways. Most everyone here saw it with their own eyes, so I don't know what you were looking at.

It's not a charge.

• Owner

It has always been called that way. Always. Look at the Battier clip where there's at least three instances of him moving his feet, but still drawing a charge.

Yeah, dude, I'm sure I could find many, many clips of blocking fouls that would negate what you're saying, too. Anderson Varejao has drawn plenty of them moving into position. Fisher picks up a few blocking fouls doing the exact same thing, also, although he also draws a lot of charges. Too bad the Lakers fans from TLN aren't here, because this was something they proved wrong last year, when Flop Scola kept doing it to us, and they showed just how many of those were actually charges, and just how many times Fisher gets called for a blocking foul for doing what you're saying Bogut did.

Unless we're factoring the fact that he's Kobe Bryant. If so, then there was no travel, and it's an obvious foul on Bogut.

Hahaha, right, because that's all it's about for you. Kobe always travels, fouls, and never gets hit when going to the rim. He's always getting the benefit of his calls, and the Lakers are the most favored team in the NBA. I already know.

Yeah, dude, I'm sure I could find many, many clips of blocking fouls that would negate what you're saying, too. Anderson Varejao has drawn plenty of them moving into position. Fisher picks up a few blocking fouls doing the exact same thing, also, although he also draws a lot of charges. Too bad the Lakers fans from TLN aren't here, because this was something they proved wrong last year, when Flop Scola kept doing it to us, and they showed just how many of those were actually charges, and just how many times Fisher gets called for a blocking foul for doing what you're saying Bogut did.

I assure you that those clips wouldn't negate anything. Post them here if you'd like, and I'll be glad to point out the differences.

I only used the Battier video because it was the easiest I could find that showed examples of textbook charges.

A lot of calls that look like charges are correctly called blocks. When you rewind these plays on your Tivo, don't do what referees make fun of fans for doing: Trying to decide if the players feet were set before the contact. That's not the standard. What you want to know is: Is the defensive player's torso set in position before the offensive player begins his upward motion? The defense can not slide into position after the offensive player has reached this stage. Why did they set that standard at the moment of upward motion? Joe Borgia, the NBA's director of officiating programs and development, says "because we had to set it somewhere. He adds that "the moment of alighting is too late." In years of watching film, however, Borgia has confidence they chose the correct moment.

Source

Again these kind of calls can be called either way. It's just how ambiguous the charging call is.