Raptors Close To Signing Hedo

Doc

But Turkoglu broke off negotiations with Portland late in the evening, and appeared headed for Toronto. The Raptors could offer a deal beginning around US$10-million per year for as much as five years, with annual raises bringing the contract's maximum total to somewhere near US$56-million.

The deal does require Toronto to gut the team's roster depth, since Turkoglu's deal will almost certainly force the team to renounce all of its free agents, and possibly forgo the use of the mid-level exception, which was about US$5.5-million last year.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/07/03/raptors-very-close-to-signing-hedo-turkoglu.aspx

GAYYYYYYY

Hedo didn't quite pull a Boozer. He would of if he waited until players could start officially signing with teams and right as he was about to sign with Portland, signed with the Raptors. That would of been a Boozer.

Oh well. Maybe we'll get someone better than Hedo during FA.

Ugh, why Colangelo why? Please tell me that this is just another rumour and come next week Hedo signs with the Blazers. What is the point in over paying for Turkoglu? I could see if the Raptors were a piece or two away from being relevant, but the Raptors aren't making the playoffs regardless of whether or not they sign Turk. Even if they do miraculously make the playoffs, they are going to be embarassed in the first round by one of Orlando, Cleveland or Boston.

If the Raptors sign Turk, what do they plan on doing, sending out a roster of Calderon/DeRozan/Turkoglu/Bosh/Bargnani and a bunch of D-League caliber players?

This better be just speculation and not hold any truth.

^I wouldn't be pessimistic, Hedo is a very good playmaker your team needs. It puts the load too much on Calderon to make plays, with Hedo who can slash, stop and pop, catch and shoot and find others, it makes your offense a lot more dangerous. And DeRozan might just be able to play right away (imo he will)... the Raps got Bosh, Calderon, Turk and DeRozan as offensive threats. Throw in Bargnani who can knock down threes and you're looking at 40 wins at least.

But it's Turk's ability to attack the defense is what's most important.

Edited by Snake

The Turkish Michael Jordan heading to Toronto..

Calderon, Derozan, Hedo, Bosh, Bargs, not a bad starting lineup at all..sucks thats its gunna look completely different a year from now with Bosh out of the picture.

^I wouldn't be pessimistic, Hedo is a very good playmaker your team needs. It puts the load too much on Calderon to make plays, with Hedo who can slash, stop and pop, catch and shoot and find others, it makes your offense a lot more dangerous.

I know exacatly what Turkoglu brings to the table for the Raptors and I don't not like Hedo Turkoglu the player. He is a good player that brings a lot to the table but the Raptors are gutting their team in order to get him and I don't think that he is worth it. If the Raptors were a piece or two away from being a threat in the Eastern Conference I would absolutely love this deal but the fact of the matter is that they simply are not. They are a long ways away from being a dangerous team.

PS: The Raptors offense didn't really need to become more dangerous for them to win ball games. They could definitely improve on the offensive end of the floor but I think with a healthy Jose Calderon, an improving and confident Andrea Bargnani and Chris Bosh on the team gives you enough offensive punch (assuming that they would've resigned Delfino and brought over another free agent or two). It is defense that is the Raptors achillies heel and this signing does nothing to adress that. The Raptors starting lineup is probably going to be the worst defensive lineup in the entire league. Outside of DeRozan (assuming that he starts) the Raptors have nobody that can make an impact on the defensive end, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think that DeRozan will make much of a difference for the first season either.

And DeRozan might just be able to play right away (imo he will)... the Raps got Bosh, Calderon, Turk and DeRozan as offensive threats. Throw in Bargnani who can knock down threes and you're looking at 40 wins at least.

I don't think that DeRozan will be able to step into the league and instantly be able to compete at the NBA level. I posted this the day of the draft about DeRozan and how I expect his first NBA season to go.

I think that he will show glimpses of being a good/great player but he will also have plenty moments that show that he is struggling to adapt to the NBA game. For the first half of the season I don't think that he is going to make that big of an impact and he will have to adjust to the strength and speed of the game. The fact that he needs to develop his handles more in order to actually be able to create his own shot will make it an adjustment for him. He also needs to be able to add some range to his jumper to force defenses to get up tight on him which will help him utilize his explosiveness and athletic ability.

I can see DeRozan's first NBA season going very similar to his past season at USC. The first 3 quarters of the season will see him show glimpses of greatness but also look lost at times. He is going to be very up and down and inconsistent. Then the last quarter of the season I think that he will put it all together and start to show signs of consistency, just like how he elevated his game to the next level during the last month of the season, during the Pac-10 playoffs and during the NCAA Tournament.

Who knows though, he could surprise me and break out.

The Raptors starting lineup looks great on paper, but what the hell are they going to do about their bench and how do they plan on stopping opposing teams from scoring the rock? It doesn't matter how dangerous the Raptors are going to be offensively because teams will look like the second coming when they play against the Raptors. They are also going to have absolutely no depth at all on the roster and if they want to do anything they are going to have to play their starters 40 minutes a night.

Even if they do manage to get 40 wins, is that even enough to do anything in the ever improving Eastern Conference? If the Raptors win 40 games they are rewarded with a bottom 3 playoff seed most likely, and they are sent to the slaughter house in the playoffs against either Boston, Cleveland or Orlando. Awsome!!!

In case you don't want to read all of this, I will put the reasons why I am against the signing in short form:

- Turkoglu is not getting any better and by the time his 5 year contract is up he will be on the tail end of his career making around $11M.

- In order for the Raptors to sign Turk, they have to completely gut their roster and they will have no depth at all. It will be a good starting lineup for the Raps, but they will have NOBODY off of the bench.

- The Raptors are a lower seed playoff team and are going to get abused by the top 3 teams in the East. They will be stuck in a period of mediocrity that has them not being good enough to make any noise in the playoffs, but not bad enough to get any sort of difference maker in the draft. It will be first round exits and mid/late teen draft picks.

Whatever though, I may just be overreacting but I am sick and tired of Colangelo and his stop gap solutions. This team has yet to go through a proper rebuilding phrase since Vince Carter was traded and I would much rather see 3 seasons of terrible basketball if it means that the Raptors will actually become relevant. All of these quick fixes that the Colangelo has tried since he has come to the Raptors have done absolutely nothing and I am sick and tired of watching a team that is not good enough to do anything in the playoffs, but one that is too good to get any sort of high impact player via the draft.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

BFT, I got what you mean.

The bench is really weak, but the starting lineup is much better fromlast year. We lost alotod depth. Im still not a fan of this signing, because I heard we now our to reounce our rights for Marion,Delfino, Parker, and Graham. I was really happy when I heard the raptors were gonna sign Marion back, and then also re-sign Delfino AND then sign Kleiza (sp?). That would fill in our SF need, and give us much pop off the bench.

Now, the raptors have to look at signing at the min-level type of player.

There is alot another upside, the Raptors did FINALLY get a big name free agent.

Only if you consider Turk a big name free agent. Face it, even with this trade Bosh is leaving next year, so the plans to build this team around Turk, whos in his 30s? This is just a terrible move by the raptors, giving a guy like that 10mill plus. Expect 5 years of mediocrity from the raptors people, but hey maybe we'll be the 8th seed for those 5 years.

Ugh, why Colangelo why? Please tell me that this is just another rumour and come next week Hedo signs with the Blazers. What is the point in over paying for Turkoglu? I could see if the Raptors were a piece or two away from being relevant, but the Raptors aren't making the playoffs regardless of whether or not they sign Turk. Even if they do miraculously make the playoffs, they are going to be embarassed in the first round by one of Orlando, Cleveland or Boston.

If the Raptors sign Turk, what do they plan on doing, sending out a roster of Calderon/DeRozan/Turkoglu/Bosh/Bargnani and a bunch of D-League caliber players?

This better be just speculation and not hold any truth.

I think BC had no choice but to overpay for Hedo. Not many free agents have a desire to go to Toronto and with Hedo you guys are definitely playoff bound.

Do you really think the Raptors can afford another crap season? Besides if Toronto does well this season it might convince Bosh to stay.

Only if you consider Turk a big name free agent. Face it, even with this trade Bosh is leaving next year, so the plans to build this team around Turk, whos in his 30s? This is just a terrible move by the raptors, giving a guy like that 10mill plus. Expect 5 years of mediocrity from the raptors people, but hey maybe we'll be the 8th seed for those 5 years.

Even tho Im not a fan of this signing. This is a huge move for Toronto. He was consider of the top free agents this offseason, and the raptors actually got him. The biggest free agent in recent years, was Kapono, and look how well that turned out.

The only postitive thing I see is, we can actually sign a big name free agent. I hope BC makes a few trades soon. We started the offseason so well too. Hedo don;t let us down/

This trade makes us a lot better, but if Bosh leaves we are stuck with this contract with Hedo basically as our best player.... anyways I think it was Doug Smith, or someone said in an article that if we make it out of the 2nd round our chances of getting Bosh back are very, very good. Don't quote me on this, I just remember coming across this on on the net one day.

But our depth is non-existent, imagine if Hedo goes down? We will have Douby starting, smh BC has some mad wheeling and dealing to do to fill out our roster and get us our backup PG.

EDIT - Signing, not trade.

Edited by travesy3

I think BC had no choice but to overpay for Hedo. Not many free agents have a desire to go to Toronto and with Hedo you guys are definitely playoff bound.

Do you really think the Raptors can afford another crap season? Besides if Toronto does well this season it might convince Bosh to stay.

Do you really think that a first round exit (best case scenario for the Raptors if you ask me) will be enough to convince Bosh to stay?

Like I have said on numerous occasions, all this signing does is make the Raptors a lower seed playoff team and they will be destroyed by one of Boston, Orlando and Cleveland in the first round. If the Raptors signing Turkoglu would've put them over the top and made them actually competitive in the Eastern Conference then I would be all for overpaying for Turk but seeing how all this move does is give the Raptors another first round exit, I just don't understand why you completely gut the team.

The only hope that I have left now is that Colangelo can somehow manage to work a magical sign and trade with the Magic so that the Raptors will actually be able to get some depth on the team but right now it is not looking good.

Who knows though, maybe this Raptor team will be able to surprise me and make some noise in the playoffs next season, but honestly, you can't blame Raptor fans for being against this signing.