T-Mac's representatives ask Rockets to trade seven-time All-Star

bigdog17k

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/cbss/ui2/logos/nba/160x100/HOU.gif

T-Mac's representatives ask Rockets to trade seven-time All-Star

HOUSTON -- A person with knowledge of the discussions told the Associated Press that Tracy McGrady's representatives asked the Houston Rockets to trade him.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Monday night because neither side has made an official comment.

The seven-time All-Star has been asking for more playing time as he tries to come back from offseason microfracture surgery on his left knee. He left the team and returned to Houston over the weekend.

The Houston Chronicle first reported Monday night that McGrady's representatives asked for a trade. General manager Daryl Morey was not immediately available and Bob Myers, McGrady's agent, did not immediately return a phone message left by the AP.

Full Article

• Owner

Not very many good teams will be interested in him, if any at all.

New York will be, I'm sure. Maybe Milwaukee. The Kings could bite, and maybe the Rockets can pull Kevin Martin away from them. Golden State could use him. Indiana?

Contenders won't want McGrady given the situation he is in with Houston, doesn't matter who's at fault here. Plus, those contenders aren't looking so shabby at the two or three, either...so McGrady would be coming off the bench, and I'm sure they would rather dodge that mess before it develops.

I've lost respect for Morey and Rick, this was handled so poorly.

They never wanted to play him at all, finally gave in and played him to increase his trade value, and then he complained that he wanted more minutes. When he found out against New Jersey that he wasn't going to play, he ditched the team and left.

Morey and Adelman have more pressing concerns than pleasing the McGrady fanboys. If you've lost respect for the duo for taking a team of role players and having them play unprecedentedly good basketball because a soft player had his feelings hurt, then blame McGrady for ditching his team and not being mentally strong enough to contribute.

Adelman knows that. Here's what he said about T-Mac today:

"He was a great player," Adelman said on Saturday. And for all the ferocity of his detractors, he was in many ways great. He just always seemed capable of being greater, of having more in that remarkable package of talent and athletic gifts than he entirely realized.

Why do you want an underachiever on a team that wins solely by getting the most out of themselves?

The Rockets will keep playing the right way without T-Mac. If it isn't good enough, it isn't good enough. They still have dreams of being a contender next year with Yao out and the season is inspiring confidence in the rest of the roster.

If Houston's best isn't good enough, then it isn't good enough. So far, it's been plenty enough.

• Like 1

Wish he would come to LA, he said he always wants to play with YOU KNOW WHO. I dont think the problem here is coming off the bench, I think its mainly his minutes. Im sure he would take 25+ MPG off the bench to win a ring, a lot of teams could use him. Given his current situation he cant be too picky here.

Also I dont see any small market teams considering to trade for him. His contract is too large, even if he is an expiring. The only team I could think of that would take his contract is the Knicks obviously, and they crave expirings.

I never said Tracy wasn't at fault, both sides were acting like babies. T-Mac with his nagging and whining and Morey/Adelman by not respecting the man who did so make for this team. I guess he didn't 'fit in' with this team when he led a pack of role players to the best regular season Houston has seen the entire decade. He certainly didn't 'fit in' when he put up 10 points and 3 assists in roughly 8 minutes. If you watched the game, there was nothing soft about him ; he was attacking every single play and set up Scola and the others for easy baskets. The rest of the team seems to hold much for respect for him when they rallied behind him in that game. I'll agree that they NEVER had any attention of playing him, they wanted him gone all along. Both were still bitter about last season despite all his efforts to return to his former status.

What superstar would want to come here knowing how the Rockets handled the T-Mac situation? Whatever, I just think he should have been given an opportunity to prove himself. Instead we tossed him aside like we do with all our former stars. Hell, Yao would be tossed to the curb if it wasn't for his marketability.

We still don't even know if Yao will be healthy next season to lead us. From recent reports, Yao has supposedly said he would play for China in the offseason. If he does so and ends up injured again, he's good as gone.

I never said Tracy wasn't at fault, both sides were acting like babies. T-Mac with his nagging and whining and Morey/Adelman by not respecting the man who did so make for this team. I guess he didn't 'fit in' with this team when he led a pack of role players to the best regular season Houston has seen the entire decade. He certainly didn't 'fit in' when he put up 10 points and 3 assists in roughly 8 minutes. If you watched the game, there was nothing soft about him ; he was attacking every single play and set up Scola and the others for easy baskets. The rest of the team seems to hold much for respect for him when they rallied behind him in that game. I'll agree that they NEVER had any attention of playing him, they wanted him gone all along. Both were still bitter about last season despite all his efforts to return to his former status.

You are exactly right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC4GHt0HXwg

This guy will only bring good things to the table. What he should have done was continue his solid play with a "prove myself" mindset to the point where Rick has no choice but to increase his role. Instead he felt betrayed and decided to leave the team all together. Hopefully he finds a home.

No video of the game vs. Orlando where he went 1-4 and made defensive plays like the one at the 27 second mark, where he makes some kind of half-hearted effort to stop ball penetration?

http://www.nba.com/g...l#nbaGIboxscore

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/rockets/2009/12/19/0020900389_okc_hou_recap.nba" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/rockets/2009/12/19/0020900389_okc_hou_recap.nba" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

Or his 1-5 game against the Thunder?

Or the -10 +/- he had in the loss to Denver?

All you have is a game against the Clippers?

Edited by Erick Blasco
  • Like 1

ESPN reported that the Rockets turned down an Arenas/McGrady trade.

Yup, that was a few days ago and I don't blame them either. It was worth the offer, but we shouldn't back down from trying to land McGrady with other offers. Freeing up that much cap space in the offseason would be great for us especially if we give away one of our big 3.

Edited by Gil-Zero

No video of the game vs. Orlando where he went 1-4 and made defensive plays like the one at the 27 second mark, where he makes some kind of half-hearted effort to stop ball penetration?

http://www.nba.com/g...l#nbaGIboxscore

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/rockets/2009/12/19/0020900389_okc_hou_recap.nba" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/rockets/2009/12/19/0020900389_okc_hou_recap.nba" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

Or his 1-5 game against the Thunder?

Or the -10 +/- he had in the loss to Denver?

All you have is a game against the Clippers?

Those can be found on this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/clutchfansDOTnet

We can't expect a guy to play perfectly night in and night out after just coming back from a long injury. It's a process, and the coaches didn't give him a chance to build his way back onto the team.

Anyway, point is T-Mac isn't as soft as he is made out to be. He can attack just like he can pull up. He is STILL a great all around scorer and playmaker, and would be a very valuable asset to most teams in this league. I would welcome him to be part of the Heat any day, though they don't exactly have expendable value to give up for him, or else Pat would have probably made a move for him by now.

Also, about the defense, players will give what teams ask out of their players. Just look at how much Q-Rich changed since leaving offensive minded teams like the Clippers, Suns, Knicks, then joining a defensive team like the Heat. What I'm saying is, T-Mac has always been asked to be a prolific scorer and to just make things happen offensively. If a guy like T-Mac were to join the Heat, there's a good chance he would also buy into the system and put more value into his defense.

I doubt a deal will end up being made. Nobody wants Tracy McGrady player just Tracy McGrady the contract. So a team planning on getting involved in the 2010 LeBron Sweepstakes would want this guy on their team. Anybody who blames Adelman or Morey is just flat out ignorant. This guy is arguably the biggest underachiever in Rocket history. I'll admit, I use to be a fan of him. I don't care about him at all anymore. I have no problem waiting till the end of the year to let his contract expire.

It's funny, Tmac's talent level use to be every bit as good if not better than Kobe's. Now, the debate isn't even freakin' close anymore. Shows you how talent doesn't mean everything.

Blasco your 200 point IQ never ceases to amaze me. :D

Edited by B-Marsh>R-Moss

Those can be found on this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/clutchfansDOTnet

Anyway, point is T-Mac isn't as soft as he is made out to be. He can attack just like he can pull up.

Actually he is. You can talk about what he can do all you want, but I want someone that will do it and Tmac will not do it. There's a reason why he's related to Vince Carter. I said I wouldn't hate on Tmac and Vince, but I need to release these thoughts out. Tmac is soft, and there's nothing that proves he isn't. He doesn't crash the boards, he doesn't hustle, he coasts EVERY SINGLE PLAY on defense, and he doesn't attack the rim despite that amazing athletic ability. He's also injury prone.

Now. There are two type of injury prones. You can be injury prone because you are soft or you can be injury prone because you play crazy. Example? Vince Carter is injury prone because he's soft. How many times have you seen this guy hold on to his ankle after a play? I've seen it like dozen times this season already. He doesn't attack the rim, he doesn't play defense, and he doesn't hustle very hard out there. He's always fine the next week too. The other example? Manu Ginobili AND Tony Parker. They're injury prone because they're so damn relentless. They don't stop slashing the rim and even if they get fouled hard and even then they still remain to do so. Eventually it will take a toll and injuries are one of them.

Edited by B-Marsh>R-Moss

I doubt a deal will end up being made. Nobody wants Tracy McGrady player just Tracy McGrady the contract. So a team planning on getting involved in the 2010 LeBron Sweepstakes would want this guy on their team. Anybody who blames Adelman or Morey is just flat out ignorant. This guy is arguably the biggest underachiever in Rocket history. I'll admit, I use to be a fan of him. I don't care about him at all anymore. I have no problem waiting till the end of the year to let his contract expire.

It's funny, Tmac's talent level use to be every bit as good if not better than Kobe's. Now, the debate isn't even freakin' close anymore. Shows you how talent doesn't mean everything.

Blasco your 200 point IQ never ceases to amaze me. :D

Adelman and Morey do deserve to be partially blamed. The way they handled T-Mac was awful and unprofessional.

I do agree that he won't be traded. Houston is looking for an ideal trade that isn't out there.

They didn't do anything, Basically they are giving him the same medicine Tmac gave this team last season. Tmac was nothing but a minus for this team last season.

That sounds pretty immature to me.

That was last season...

I hope you didn't think they would just forgive and forget so quickly. Whatever, McGrady is done with in this franchise. He's the biggest underachiever in Rocket history if you ask me.

Because he's injury prone? Or are you basing your opinion based on how he's played the last two seasons... You're clearly forgetting what kind of player he used to be. Your opinion never makes any sense.