Next great international Big man(Predicted to go number 4) This year

Years

Would you take Gallinari as the number 6 pick if you were the Knicks if you had the chance to re-do that draft? I sure as hell wouldn't. It's not that some of them can't play but they get taken so high that they have expectations that they rarely ever meet.

Would you take Gallinari as the number 6 pick if you were the Knicks if you had the chance to re-do that draft? I sure as hell wouldn't. It's not that some of them can't play but they get taken so high that they have expectations that they rarely ever meet.

And the same can be said about American players. Busts can happen in both systems. There are plenty of international players that were drafted low and ended up as huge steals. That's why I find it funny that some of you are hoping no more international players come to the NBA. International players have changed the NBA. Just ask the San Antonio Spurs.

And don't call it quits on Gallo yet. He's still young and has not yet fully adapted to the NBA. I'm not saying he's a future Hall of Fammer but a player with his skill set can turn out to be a very solid pro.

And the same can be said about American players. Busts can happen in both systems. There are plenty of international players that were drafted low and ended up as huge steals. That's why I find it funny that some of you are hoping no more international players come to the NBA. International players have changed the NBA. Just ask the San Antonio Spurs.

And don't call it quits on Gallo yet. He's still young and has not yet fully adapted to the NBA. I'm not saying he's a future Hall of Fammer but a player with his skill set can turn out to be a very solid pro.

I agree but there are way more American players than Euro players so of course there are going to be busts. However, when some guy comes over from a foreign country with high expectations and comparisons to hall of fame NBA players, they are expected to live up to that hype. I don't hope international players stop coming but I do think that a lot of them that do come just aren't ready for the NBA.

As for Gallinari, I don't see him becoming a very great player. He'll get his 14 points a game by shooting threes at an inefficient rate and will bounce around from team to team IMO.

I just don't think I would've taken him at 6 over Eric Gordon or Brook Lopez.

Imagine the Knicks had their pick and has this lineup next year

1. Joe Johnson

2. Danilo Gallinari

3. LeBron James

4. Wislon Chandler

5. Donatas Montiejunas

That'd be a fun team to watch with D'antoni as the coach. Damn you Curry and Isiah!

1. Joe Johnson

2. Danilo Gallinari

3. LeBron James

4. Wislon Chandler

5. Donatas Montiejunas

That'd be a fun team to watch with D'antoni as the coach. Damn you Curry and Isiah!

That team doesn't even reach the Finals IMO. They wouldn't have a bench. Have fun attempting to guard Dwight Howard and the Laker bigs.

Edited by Flash

However, when some guy comes over from a foreign country with high expectations and comparisons to hall of fame NBA players, they are expected to live up to that hype. I don't hope international players stop coming but I do think that a lot of them that do come just aren't ready for the NBA.

It's not exactly fair to expect every player who's surrounded by hype that we incidentally set on them to actually live up to that hype. And it's even less fair to narrow it down to one corner of the globe either. Truth is, there is hype everywhere and on just about every player who's got some unique skill which apparently gives him limitless potential to succeed if he just does [insert unrealistic expecations here]. These players aren't confined in Europe, either.

Take for example, DeShawn Stevenson. He averaged 30 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists per game in high school. He's a legtimate 6'5, 210lbs. with a strong body to boot; an 'NBA' body as most scouts like to say. His grand comparison, as thought up by NBADraft.net and then agreed upon by other scouting websites through different source materials: Michael Jordan. Was this fair to Stevenson? A kid out of high school to yield such a comparison? What were the similarities in their games?

- Both were black;

- Both jumped high and far;

- Both could score roughly 30 points a game in their league (Jordan's average 30.1 ppg in the NBA);

- If you squint your eyes, and don't pay attention to the face, he kind of (but not really) looks like Jordan

And that's pretty much where it ended. The only (I italisize that because it's such a big 'only') thing Stevenson had to do was 'put his game together' and he would be Jordan. So from this one example, could we stop asking (we did do this, but imagine it in a hypothetical sense) high schoolers to come to the NBA because they just wont live up to expectations? How about because they're not ready? For both questions, the answer obviously is 'no'.

It's us, the guys who watch their games who put such high expectations on them in the beginning and we're from all corners of the world and to deny them the right to play in the top league in the world because the general consensus after they play two seasons might be that they wont live up to the expectations we set is ridicolous.

As for Gallinari, I don't see him becoming a very great player. He'll get his 14 points a game by shooting threes at an inefficient rate and will bounce around from team to team IMO.

.393 from three is pretty efficient to me.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn

It's not exactly fair to expect every player who's surrounded by hype that we incidentally set on them to actually live up to that hype. And it's even less fair to narrow it down to one corner of the globe either. Truth is, there is hype everywhere and on just about every player who's got some unique skill which apparently gives him limitless potential to succeed if he just does [insert unrealistic expecations here]. These players aren't confined in Europe, either.

Take for example, DeShawn Stevenson. He averaged 30 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists per game in high school. He's a legtimate 6'5, 210lbs. with a strong body to boot; an 'NBA' body as most scouts like to say. His grand comparison, as thought up by NBADraft.net and then agreed upon by other scouting websites through different source materials: Michael Jordan. Was this fair to Stevenson? A kid out of high school to yield such a comparison? What were the similarities in their games?

- Both were black;

- Both jumped high and far;

- Both could score roughly 30 points a game in their league (Jordan's average 30.1 ppg in the NBA);

- If you squint your eyes, and don't pay attention to the face, he kind of (but not really) looks like Jordan

And that's pretty much where it ended. The only (I italisize that because it's such a big 'only') thing Stevenson had to do was 'put his game together' and he would be Jordan. So from this one example, could we stop asking (we did do this, but imagine it in a hypothetical sense) high schoolers to come to the NBA because they just wont live up to expectations? How about because they're not ready? For both questions, the answer obviously is 'no'.

It's us, the guys who watch their games who put such high expectations on them in the beginning and we're from all corners of the world and to deny them the right to play in the top league in the world because the general consensus after they play two seasons might be that they wont live up to the expectations we set is ridicolous.

.393 from three is pretty efficient to me.

Why is it not fair? These guys put up monster numbers wherever they are before the NBA and are projected to go high in the draft so they definitely are expected to live up to the expectations. And like I said, busts happen in the US too like Stevenson as you pointed out. The Jordan thing was really based on Stevenson's body type IMO. No one really thought the guy could be MJ and that has to be one of the worst comparisons ever. However, when you have people saying this kid is going to be a combination of Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki and Yao Ming that's crossing the line. The guy isn't 7'5 and has average athleticism and weighs 10 pounds less than Udonis Haslem. I highly doubt he's as good a shooter as Dirk, he won't be able to play in the post as much as Gasol (who's got a good 30 pounds on this guy) and he is 7'0 not 7'5.

Draft Express has him as the 12th pick and his comparison is Andrea Bargnani. Draft Express is much more reasonable than nbadraft.net so I'll take them any day. If in fact that's what they think his ceiling is then people shouldn't even try coming here comparing him to players like Pau, Dirk and Yao.

And if you want to consider Gallinari efficient go right ahead. IMO he's nothing more than a 14 PPG scorer with limited ability in what he can do on the floor.

Edited by Flash

Guest Need4Sheed

1. Joe Johnson

2. Danilo Gallinari

3. LeBron James

4. Wislon Chandler

5. Donatas Montiejunas

LOL. Cleveland's roster is way better than that IMO.

Why is it not fair? These guys put up monster numbers wherever they are before the NBA and are projected to go high in the draft so they definitely are expected to live up to the expectations. And like I said, busts happen in the US too like Stevenson as you pointed out. The Jordan thing was really based on Stevenson's body type IMO. No one really thought the guy could be MJ and that has to be one of the worst comparisons ever. However, when you have people saying this kid is going to be a combination of Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki and Yao Ming that's crossing the line. The guy isn't 7'5 and has average athleticism and weighs 10 pounds less than Udonis Haslem. I highly doubt he's as good a shooter as Dirk, he won't be able to play in the post as much as Gasol (who's got a good 30 pounds on this guy) and he is 7'0 not 7'5.

Draft Express has him as the 12th pick and his comparison is Andrea Bargnani. Draft Express is much more reasonable than nbadraft.net so I'll take them any day. If in fact that's what they think his ceiling is then people shouldn't even try coming here comparing him to players like Pau, Dirk and Yao.

And if you want to consider Gallinari efficient go right ahead. IMO he's nothing more than a 14 PPG scorer with limited ability in what he can do on the floor.

Yes Motiejunas is skinny, but hes 19 years old, lots of skinny big men have come in at 19, including Garnett (Not comparing them), dont judge someone unless you have actually seen them play, what draft express or nbadraft.net or any other website say doesnt matter, as of right now, I know that he has crazy scoring ability and talent for someone of his age.

Also Gallinari? WTF, only will be a 14 ppg scorer? You either hate Euros or just dont watch the Knicks, he is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league , and he is only 21. Danilo's other parts of his gam will come to him with experience. Its like me saying that Michael Beasley's only ceiling is 15, 7, you obviously wouldn't agree, because its a Heat player

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

Yes Motiejunas is skinny, but hes 19 years old, lots of skinny big men have come in at 19, including Garnett (Not comparing them), dont judge someone unless you have actually seen them play, what draft express or nbadraft.net or any other website say doesnt matter, as of right now, I know that he has crazy scoring ability and talent for someone of his age.

Also Gallinari? WTF, only will be a 14 ppg scorer? You either hate Euros or just dont watch the Knicks, he is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league , and he is only 21. Danilo's other parts of his gam will come to him with experience. Its like me saying that Michael Beasley's only ceiling is 15, 7, you obviously wouldn't agree, because its a Heat player

I understand that he's 19 but he's got a ton of flaws in his game that don't warrant comparisons to Dirk, Yao and Pau all in one lol. He's not a good rebounder, his jumper needs work and he's not a good defender. If he fills out and adds some weight then he might become a very good player. What else am I going to base my opinion on? I have better things to do with my life than watch Euroleague basketball so I use draft.net or Draftexpress to get info on guys coming into the league.

I don't hate Euro's either. I just think its wrong to say this kid could be a combination of arguably the 3 greatest international players ever before he even plays a game.

And with the Gallinari thing I stand by what I said. Beasley is more versatile that Gallinari and plays with Dwyane Wade so his shot attempts are limited because Wade commands the ball so much whereas the Knicks have nobody.

Flash, it's so obvious that you have not watched a single game in which Montiejunas has played. I don't think you should even be allowed to comment on his game and his 'potential' without actually seeing first hand what his game is actually about. You gave yourself away by saying that he needs to improve his jump shooting when the only reason that he has such a high ceiling in the first place is because he's such a great jump shooter at such a young age. He's only 19. Reading and then using select sentences from DraftExpress or Draft.net (but you would never use that because it's such an inferior site :rolleyes:) definitely doesn't make any more of an expert than the next guy.

I don't hate Euro's either. I just think its wrong to say this kid could be a combination of arguably the 3 greatest international players ever before he even plays a game.

DraftExpress, a site you rely on, called Beasley's comparison 'Amare Stoudemire meets Antwan Jamison' before he set foot on the court but I'm sure you probably had no problem with that comparison, right? So far, Beasley has looks like he'll struggle to be a quarter of the player they expect him to be, nevermind a combination of two of the most gifted offensive forwards in the league.

Oh and if you want to get all technical on heights and weights and all this stupid stuff to cover up your hate for Europeans being to other Europeans. Montiejunas is 7' 215lbs according to his profile; Meanwhile, Bargnani is 7' 250lbs. By your rationale, these two players just can't be compared; they are utterly uncomparable because they're different weights and yet the comparisons are there. How is it so? Comparisons are guides, someone's comparison counterpart is not a literal clone of said player, it's just a vague description of what kind of player they could be. All players are unique, and all humans ultimately, are unique in their own way so using heights and weights to say that 'no, this player can't be compared to this one' is just ridicolous and did actually make me laugh at the stupidity.

Oh and nobody agreed with Years when he said Montiejunas is part Yao, part Dirk, part Gasol. Infact, I don't think he even believed himself and honestly think the comment wasn't intended to be taken seriously by anyone.

• Like 1

Flash, it's so obvious that you have not watched a single game in which Montiejunas has played. I don't think you should even be allowed to comment on his game and his 'potential' without actually seeing first hand what his game is actually about. You gave yourself away by saying that he needs to improve his jump shooting when the only reason that he has such a high ceiling in the first place is because he's such a great jump shooter at such a young age. He's only 19. Reading and then using select sentences from DraftExpress or Draft.net (but you would never use that because it's such an inferior site :rolleyes:) definitely doesn't make any more of an expert than the next guy.

DraftExpress, a site you rely on, called Beasley's comparison 'Amare Stoudemire meets Antwan Jamison' before he set foot on the court but I'm sure you probably had no problem with that comparison, right? So far, Beasley has looks like he'll struggle to be a quarter of the player they expect him to be, nevermind a combination of two of the most gifted offensive forwards in the league.

Oh and if you want to get all technical on heights and weights and all this stupid stuff to cover up your hate for Europeans being to other Europeans. Montiejunas is 7' 215lbs according to his profile; Meanwhile, Bargnani is 7' 250lbs. By your rationale, these two players just can't be compared; they are utterly uncomparable because they're different weights and yet the comparisons are there. How is it so? Comparisons are guides, someone's comparison counterpart is not a literal clone of said player, it's just a vague description of what kind of player they could be. All players are unique, and all humans ultimately, are unique in their own way so using heights and weights to say that 'no, this player can't be compared to this one' is just ridicolous and did actually make me laugh at the stupidity.

Oh and nobody agreed with Years when he said Montiejunas is part Yao, part Dirk, part Gasol. Infact, I don't think he even believed himself and honestly think the comment wasn't intended to be taken seriously by anyone.

I just said I don't watch European League games. So I go by what I read and apparently he's been struggling with his shot as of late and is a poor rebounder. I'm not claiming to be an expert and not once in this thread have I made that claim.

With the Beasley thing, just by watching Beasley play you can see that he's just as offensively gifted as both of those guys. He finishes better than Jamison and can score in just about every way possible. Beasley also put up ridiculous numbers at the college level. Dominating in both scoring and rebounding at just 18 years old. Beasley plays barely above 32 minutes a game, how can you expect him to put up number like both Amare and Jamison when he's barely out there because his coach refuses to play him at times.

I agree with your point on comparisons as well. Also I'm not sure if he was serious on the Dirk/Yao/Pau thing either but that just made me feel like people are setting the expectations too high for this guy.

I just said I don't watch European League games. So I go by what I read and apparently he's been struggling with his shot as of late and is a poor rebounder. I'm not claiming to be an expert and not once in this thread have I made that claim.

With the Beasley thing, just by watching Beasley play you can see that he's just as offensively gifted as both of those guys. He finishes better than Jamison and can score in just about every way possible. Beasley also put up ridiculous numbers at the college level. Dominating in both scoring and rebounding at just 18 years old. Beasley plays barely above 32 minutes a game, how can you expect him to put up number like both Amare and Jamison when he's barely out there because his coach refuses to play him at times.

I agree with your point on comparisons as well. Also I'm not sure if he was serious on the Dirk/Yao/Pau thing either but that just made me feel like people are setting the expectations too high for this guy.

Montiejunas is offensively gifted, if not more than Beasley, a year ago, when Montiejunas was just 17-18, he averaged 23 ppg in the Lithuanian league, not even Zydrunas Ilgauskas averaged that much in that league and he was older. This kid is the real deal offensively, and he will be a good player in the NBA just for that reason.

So Beasley's ridiculous numbers in college mean something while Montiejunas stats in a league with PROFESIONALS mean nothing.

I don't buy the whole European leagues are better than the NCAA. The vast majority of NBA players today came out of the NCAA so until these European leagues start pumping out players to the NBA I won't buy that.

Let me also say that I'm not for banning European or any international player whatsoever. I know that was brought up earlier but I don't support that at all.

Of course not, you have to be as big as Shaq and have a 50 inch vertical to succeed in NBA, its obvious.

LOL @ you twisting things I said. Bring some substance to the discussion next time.

LOL @ you twisting things I said. Bring some substance to the discussion next time.

I didnt twist anything you said, actually I didnt even reply to you, I just laughed at everyone who puts these bust labels on players who arent super athletic and muscular coming into the NBA, but thanks for jumping to conclusions that I am calling you an idiot or something.

Also to add to the College/Euroleague thing, I looked over the major statistical categories in the NBA and only counted 9 guys who played over in those professional leagues (and even included Steve Nash) that were in the top 20 in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks. The rest came from college or high school to the NBA. If those leagues over in Europe are that crazy then why aren't more players coming to the NBA?

Also to add to the College/Euroleague thing, I looked over the major statistical categories in the NBA and only counted 9 guys who played over in those professional leagues (and even included Steve Nash) that were in the top 20 in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks. The rest came from college or high school to the NBA. If those leagues over in Europe are that crazy then why aren't more players coming to the NBA?

Less games, money, closer to home, no taxes etc. I am sure guys like Milos Teodosic or Ramunas Siskauskas could do great in NBA. Plus Scola is a beast.

I don't buy the whole European leagues are better than the NCAA. The vast majority of NBA players today came out of the NCAA so until these European leagues start pumping out players to the NBA I won't buy that.

Let me also say that I'm not for banning European or any international player whatsoever. I know that was brought up earlier but I don't support that at all.

Juan Dixon was one of the best players of the decade in college. Guess where he is now? Barcelona. Shawn Taggart is playing division 2 in Spain. Eric Devendorf is in the English league. Josh Childress is in Greece and he was a player of the year candidate (might of won it, don't remember). Good college players don't all go into the NBA. Others leave the NBA when they see minimal success there. So yes, there will be players that go to the NBA after college, but others that are border line NBA players will be playing in Europe. Most of the college players, even in power conferences, won't even make it to play in Europe.

A lot of the players in Europe are seasoned veterans. There are plenty of players that I have seen in the Spanish league that are perfectly capable of going to the NBA, but don't because they have already spent years playing there, and the move isn't worth it for a player in their 30's.

You're telling me that Derrick Rose, playing in C-USA and a few tough out of conference games, played against better competition than if he played against professionals in Europe?

If you said that you think the European system doesn't prepare players like NCAA I could understand because the European system is slow, defensive minded, and focuses on basketball IQ and fundamentals as opposed to pure athleticism, but the competition is obviously better in a good European league, such as Greece, Rusia, or Spain. No doubt in my mind.

Juan Dixon was one of the best players of the decade in college. Guess where he is now? Barcelona. Shawn Taggart is playing division 2 in Spain. Eric Devendorf is in the English league. Josh Childress is in Greece and he was a player of the year candidate (might of won it, don't remember). Good college players don't all go into the NBA. Others leave the NBA when they see minimal success there. So yes, there will be players that go to the NBA after college, but others that are border line NBA players will be playing in Europe. Most of the college players, even in power conferences, won't even make it to play in Europe.

A lot of the players in Europe are seasoned veterans. There are plenty of players that I have seen in the Spanish league that are perfectly capable of going to the NBA, but don't because they have already spent years playing there, and the move isn't worth it for a player in their 30's.

You're telling me that Derrick Rose, playing in C-USA and a few tough out of conference games, played against better competition than if he played against professionals in Europe?

If you said that you think the European system doesn't prepare players like NCAA I could understand because the European system is slow, defensive minded, and focuses on basketball IQ and fundamentals as opposed to pure athleticism, but the competition is obviously better in a good European league, such as Greece, Rusia, or Spain. No doubt in my mind.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of the great players in the NBA come from college/high school. If most of these guys are coming out of college and then excel at the NBA level then what does that tell you? Derrick Rose didn't become the top pick until what he did in the NCAA tourney where you don't play against any bad teams. Granted, he was going to be picked high no matter where he went. IMO the college game prepares players better and it shows.

Basketball isn't the number one sport in Europe. You can't expect Europe to produce the same number of basketball players that the college system does because nearly everyone playing college ball is American. Let's compare the number of American soccer players there are in good European leagues, compared to big European countries.

What you originally said European leagues are not better than college when they obviously have to be because they are professionals players.