Next great international Big man(Predicted to go number 4) This year

Years

Basketball isn't the number one sport in Europe. You can't expect Europe to produce the same number of basketball players that the college system does because nearly everyone playing college ball is American. Let's compare the number of American soccer players there are in good European leagues, compared to big European countries.

What you originally said European leagues are not better than college when they obviously have to be because they are professionals players.

And much older, age is a big factor too, guys in college are 18-23, professionals are any age.

Basketball isn't the number one sport in Europe. You can't expect Europe to produce the same number of basketball players that the college system does because nearly everyone playing college ball is American. Let's compare the number of American soccer players there are in good European leagues, compared to big European countries.

What you originally said European leagues are not better than college when they obviously have to be because they are professionals players.

My argument isn't based on quantity, rather the quality of player that comes from the European league. Of course college is going to produce more players than the European league but through the stats it shows that the quality of player is better coming from the NCAA.

We aren't talking about soccer either. No one cares about soccer in the US so I don't know why you're even bringing up soccer. People actually care about basketball in Europe.

Just because they're professionals doesn't mean they're better. I can think of a lot of players in the NCAA right now that would be top players in Europe.

My argument isn't based on quantity, rather the quality of player that comes from the European league. Of course college is going to produce more players than the European league but through the stats it shows that the quality of player is better coming from the NCAA.

We aren't talking about soccer either. No one cares about soccer in the US so I don't know why you're even bringing up soccer. People actually care about basketball in Europe.

Just because they're professionals doesn't mean they're better. I can think of a lot of players in the NCAA right now that would be top players in Europe.

You're ignorant

/thread.

You said nobody in US cares about soccer, its very ignorant to say that because lots actually do.

You know what I meant...

Do you wanna contribute to the debate or just keep talking [expletive] calling people ignorant?

Jaun Dixon isn't a top player, more like a bench warmer in Barcelona and Josh Childress is a decent player, nothing special.

European basketball is much different than NCAA. I go to Spain every year. I have gotten my dose of European basketball. European basketball is slow, it's defensive, it's based on good fundamentals, and athleticism doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in college. All these athletic stat padders in college with no basketball IQ would not last in Europe. James White averaged 16 PPG his senior year. He certainly was not a bad player in college, but he was a good college basketball player because of his scary athleticism, not because he's a smart basketball player by any means.

He said players in the NCAA right now.

But both of those players were top players during their time of playing college basketball. A difference of a few years doesn't change the point I'm trying to make.

Jaun Dixon isn't a top player, more like a bench warmer in Barcelona and Josh Childress is a decent player, nothing special.

European basketball is much different than NCAA. I go to Spain every year. I have gotten my dose of European basketball. European basketball is slow, it's defensive, it's based on good fundamentals, and athleticism doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in college. All these athletic stat padders in college with no basketball IQ would not last in Europe. James White averaged 16 PPG his senior year. He certainly was not a bad player in college, but he was a good college basketball player because of his scary athleticism, not because he's a smart basketball player by any means.

Neither of them were anything special in the NBA either. James White was a bum in the NBA and didn't even get drafted IIRC. For every James White there's a Tskitishvili, Yaroslav Koralev or a Darko. The list goes on as well. Hell, at least Dixon actually contributed a little while he was in the NBA.

My point is that they (Dixon and Childress) were both good college players and they haven't done anything in Europe. I brought James White because he's one of those college players that was good in college based only on his athleticism. He wouldn't work in Europe.

The vast majority of NBA players today came out of the NCAA so until these European leagues start pumping out players to the NBA I won't buy that.

I don't think anyones really considered cultural aspects in their responses. Players coming from Europe is a relatively new concept still. And with every year, we see more and more international players being drafted. The first international player was only drafted #1 in 2002 (Yao), the first European was drafted #1 in 2007 (Bargnani) and last year we saw 5 international players come in as first round picks which accounts for roughly 17% of the first round (not including Thabeet who is from Tanzania). The concept of drafting international players is still very new, but it certainly is on the rise, especially in the last decade.

Also a jump from Europe to the NBA prior to 2005 without being drafted was almost non-existent. I'm convinced still that many European league players could fill spots on NBA teams, even some starting spots who just haven't come over. Why? Maybe cultural aspects, language barriers. Many 25+ year olds have settled and are comfortable where they are in Europe. Learning a new language and adjusting to a new life is an uncomfortable experience. For example, Jorge Garbajosa lasted 2 seasons before going back to Europe at 32 and then starred on a great team back in Europe. Juan Carlos Navarro was gone in two seasons as well although it was obvious he could play NBA basketball. Theo Papaloukas was offered contracts by the Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks, and the Miami Heat to fill their point guard spot and some reports were deals extended to $7 million a season, yet he declined for a 3 year deal (worth $10.5 million Euro) to stay in Europe.

The NBA isn't a collection of the best basketball players in the world. Not everyone strives to be an NBA player. Sure, when you're 19 and eager to play and get payed, the NBA is definitely a serious prospect, but it's not the be all, end all league. There are many, many players in Europe who could easily stick it in the NBA if they had a yearning for it, but most don't.

The NBA isn't a collection of the best basketball players in the world. Not everyone strives to be an NBA player. Sure, when you're 19 and eager to play and get payed, the NBA is definitely a serious prospect, but it's not the be all, end all league. There are many, many players in Europe who could easily stick it in the NBA if they had a yearning for it, but most don't.

See that's where I strongly disagree. Team USA had a collection of NBA talent and ran a train on every country they played in 08. Those countries included NBA players and international players too. If the NBA weren't the be all, end all league, why would Europeans and other international players come over and play here? American players who can't cut it in the NBA go to Europe because they can't make it in the NBA. I don't see how the NBA isn't the premier league in the world.

See that's where I strongly disagree. Team USA had a collection of NBA talent and ran a train on every country they played in 08. Those countries included NBA players and international players too. If the NBA weren't the be all, end all league, why would Europeans and other international players come over and play here? American players who can't cut it in the NBA go to Europe because they can't make it in the NBA. I don't see how the NBA isn't the premier league in the world.

The NBA is the best league, you're basically taking the NBA All-stars, if you took European all-stars, it'd be a totally different story.

The bolded statement says it all.

All it states is the obvious, because nobody is debating whether the NBA isnt the best.

Well, when someone says that it isn't the be all end all league, that makes it sound like they think otherwise. This wasn't the case here but it did sound like that's what he meant when he said it.

When's the last European big that turned out "great" not named Dirk?

Who's the last European big to have the same skillset as Motiejunas at 19?

BTW Marc Gasol or Pau Gasol.

Also, big men are a lost cause now, its very rare to find a great big man, American or European, but with the abilities of Motiejunas, he can easily turn out to be a great big man.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan