Best Defenders At Each Position?

Pooh25

Who do you think is the NBA's best defensive player at each position?

Discuss...

Template for posting:

Point guard: ________ because _________

Shooting Guard: _______ because _________

Small Forward: ________ because _________

Power Forward: _______ because _________

Center: ______________ because _________

Mine:

Point Guard: Chris Paul - Amount of steals and he's probably the best point guard defender out there. If I was a homer, I'd say Derrick Rose, but he needs major work on the defensive end.

SG: Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade - We all know what they're capable of.

SF: Shane Battier/Ron Artest - Artest plays similar to Rodman and Battier is just a very good defender.

PF: Kevin Garnett - He has great footwork and can match anyone with his athleticism.

C: Dwight Howard - Reigning Defensive Player of the Year and all the other NBA Centers aren't as good as him.

Rajon Rondo

Aaron Brooks if I was bias but his defense needs a lot of work

Kobe Bryant

Jermain Taylor if I was bias but his defense needs a lot of work

Shane Battier

Shane Battier..oh wait

Kevin Garnett

Luis Scola if I was bias but his defense needs a lot of work

Kendrick Perkins

Chuck Hayes is actually a pretty legit candidate.

Rondo- hes got all the tools and a league leader in steals

Battier- hes the only one who can stop kobe

Artest- hes the next closest to stopping kobe

KG- hes a beast

Dwight- see KG

really i think these are relatively what everyone will be putting, honorable mentions to Kendrick Perkins, Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade

Guest California Dreamin'

Rondo- hes got all the tools and a league leader in steals

Battier- hes the only one who can stop kobe

Artest- hes the next closest to stopping kobe

KG- hes a beast

Dwight- see KG

really i think these are relatively what everyone will be putting, honorable mentions to Kendrick Perkins, Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade

No one can stop Kobe! ;)

Rondo - Great defender and one of the best PG's in the league.

Kobe - Best perimeter defender in the NBA. He can score 35+ PPG and still shut down the best player on the other team.

Artest - Good low post defender, but still has some weaknesses.

KG - One of the best PF's in the game on offense and defense.

Dwight - Best defensive big in the NBA.

Edited by California Dreamin'

Rondo - Has great quickness to stay in front of defenders and has great anticipation with his hands to get steals.

Battier - Nothing really needs to be said if stats did not matter so much then he would have got defensive player of the year last 2 years.

Artest - Very physical defender that is always ready to get in your face, and has really deceptive quickness.

KG - Plays his heart out on defense night in and night out.

Dwight - Got DPOY last year and I think is actually on pace to win it again this year as well, he owns every paint he step in every day.

PG - Billups because hes been apart of several elite defensive teams, won a championship, Finals MVP, and tremendously improved the Nuggets defense, who played none of it when he arrived. Completely abused, harassed, and dominated CP3 last year in the playoffs.

SG - Kobe, no other SG can really come close to him defensively. He might be the best on ball perimeter defender since Jordan or Pippen.

SF - Battier because hes always so well prepared for his defensive matchups and has terrific basketball IQ.

PF - Duncan because he also studies the game well and has a terrific basketball IQ. He has long arms and can block shots, rebounds well. He has a rare combination of 7 foot size, footwork, and basketball IQ.

C - Dwight because of how athletic he is defensively. He might not be the best on ball defender, but not many Centers are going to wanna take him 1 on 1. He changes so many shots because of his shot blocking and leaping ability, and he obviously blocks a lot of shots too. And he can finish a defensive possession with a rebound as he annually leads the league in that category.

other honorable mentions

PG - JKidd, Tony Parker

SG - Raja Bell, Wade

SF - Artest, Posey

PF - KG, Josh Smith

C - Perkins, Noah

Edited by kingfish

PG: Kirk Hinrich - call me crazy but his on ball defense is amazing and he plays with such a high IQ, I have to go with him.

SG: Kobe Bryant

SF: Shane Battier

PF: Kevin Garnett

C: Dwight Howard

Reasons have been stated for the rest already.

• Owner

C - Greg Oden

I'm not completely sure, but I'm almost positive Oden's opponents shoot just as bad against him as they do against Howard, and their PER is probably lower. Oden is the better on-ball defender, and he's just as good of a help defender.

PF - Kenyon Martin

To me, this isn't even close. Garnett is the easy choice, but Martin can defend anyone from 2-5, and he's holding opponents to worse shooting percentages, while Garnett has taken a step back after his knee injury.

SF - Trevor Ariza

Just take a look at all of the struggling players' shooting percentages when he's on them. He's too long and quick to shoot over, and there aren't many small forwards who want to take players into the post all game long.

SG - Shane Battier

Best face-guarding I've ever seen, period. I'd pick Bryant here if he defended his opponents consistently, and Kobe can defend both quick and strong players, but he's not as dedicated to his defense as Shane.

PG - Jason Kidd

Should be the unanimous decision. Kidd can defend 1-3 and is still one of the smartest defensive players in the NBA.

C - Greg Oden

I'm not completely sure, but I'm almost positive Oden's opponents shoot just as bad against him as they do against Howard, and their PER is probably lower. Oden is the better on-ball defender, and he's just as good of a help defender.

PF - Kenyon Martin

To me, this isn't even close. Garnett is the easy choice, but Martin can defend anyone from 2-5, and he's holding opponents to worse shooting percentages, while Garnett has taken a step back after his knee injury.

SF - Trevor Ariza

Just take a look at all of the struggling players' shooting percentages when he's on them. He's too long and quick to shoot over, and there aren't many small forwards who want to take players into the post all game long.

SG - Shane Battier

Best face-guarding I've ever seen, period. I'd pick Bryant here if he defended his opponents consistently, and Kobe can defend both quick and strong players, but he's not as dedicated to his defense as Shane.

PG - Jason Kidd

Should be the unanimous decision. Kidd can defend 1-3 and is still one of the smartest defensive players in the NBA.

Battier over Kobe? Kobe is the premier perimeter defender in the league. Who do you want guarding LeBron, Wade, Pierce, ect. in the final minutes of a game? You want Battier over Kobe? :huh:

Ariza is not even the best defender on his team. Shane Battier is way better than Ariza. You forgot how Ariza was abused in the playoffs and people begged Phil to play Luke instead of Ariza? Ariza plays the passing lanes well, but you can beat him off the dribble and you can post him up.

The Celtics have a good D because of KG. Remember how the Celtics played before they traded for KG and how they played when KG got injured...

Oden is always injured.

• Owner

Battier over Kobe? Kobe is the premier perimeter defender in the league. Who do you want guarding LeBron, Wade, Pierce, ect. in the final minutes of a game? You want Battier over Kobe? :huh:

Ariza is not even the best defender on his team. Shane Battier is way better than Ariza. You forgot how Ariza was abused in the playoffs and people begged Phil to play Luke instead of Ariza? Ariza plays the passing lanes well, but you can beat him off the dribble and you can post him up.

The Celtics have a good D because of KG. Remember how the Celtics played before they traded for KG and how they played when KG got injured...

Oden is always injured.

Basketball is 48 minutes, not 60 seconds. Battier is a more dedicated defender. I'll take Kobe defending ANYONE in the final minute of the game, but I'll take Battier for 47 minutes.

Ariza's defense has improved this season, and I'm sure his allowed eFG% says he's one of the best at his position as well, just too lazy to look it up. Good defenders can't defend all shapes and sizes: Duncan struggled against guys like Amare, too, but that never took away from his overall defense.

Garnett was an excellent defender last year. This year, he has taken a step down. He's still a top two at that position, though, as his LEADERSHIP is still there, and his help defense as well...but man-to-man, he's struggling a bit, and I have to hand it to someone who is probably running a stronger allowed eFG%.

Oden's current injury doesn't suddenly remove what he did for 21 games. He was arguably the best defensive center in the league.

Point Guard: Chris Paul, because he's a good on the ball defender, as well as perimeter defender.

Shooting Guard: Kobe Bryant/Shane Battier: Both are great on the ball defenders especially Battier and both are good defenders over all.

Small Forward: Gerald Wallace/Ron Artest: Both guys are pretty solid defenders, Gerald is a shot blocker and in my opinion a good weakside defender.

Power Forward: Tim Duncan, he's always been a good defender and has a pretty underated defensive game.

Center: Dwight Howard, because he blocks shots and alternates opposing players shots.

~ Fresshh.

PG - Chauncey Billups - I put him over Kidd just because Kidd isn't what he used to be. If anyone watched what Chauncey did to CP3 in the playoffs they'd agree

SG - Kobe Bryant - Lock down defender, when he wants to be

SF - Shane Battier - Probably the best defender in the NBA

PF - Kevin Garnett - Yeah I'll take the easy way out, blows up the pick and roll so huge for a team.

C - Tim Duncan Dwight Howard

Basketball is 48 minutes, not 60 seconds. Battier is a more dedicated defender. I'll take Kobe defending ANYONE in the final minute of the game, but I'll take Battier for 47 minutes.

Ariza's defense has improved this season, and I'm sure his allowed eFG% says he's one of the best at his position as well, just too lazy to look it up. Good defenders can't defend all shapes and sizes: Duncan struggled against guys like Amare, too, but that never took away from his overall defense.

Garnett was an excellent defender last year. This year, he has taken a step down. He's still a top two at that position, though, as his LEADERSHIP is still there, and his help defense as well...but man-to-man, he's struggling a bit, and I have to hand it to someone who is probably running a stronger allowed eFG%.

Oden's current injury doesn't suddenly remove what he did for 21 games. He was arguably the best defensive center in the league.

Rondo and Billups are better than Kidd. Kidd is too slow and too old to keep up with the younger PG's in the league.

Ariza has improved this season and the Rockets are a good defensive team, but Battier, Artest, Bean, Prince, Wallace are better than him.

C- Dwight Howard

Yes, he does make bone-headed mistakes too frequently. But he's too big, athletic, and energetic to be left off.

PF- Tim Duncan

This position would be impossible to choose if not for a dozen big men dealing with debilitating knee injuries.

SF- Tayshaun Prince

He isn't very strong. Other than that, he's golden. Height, incredible length, and fundamental defensive play. He could stand to be a bit faster, but his length lets him play off a slasher by half a step. Also, with apologies to Shane, there is nobody who defends Kobe (or Dwyane Wade) better than Tayshaun Prince.

SG- Shane Battier

No explanation required, I suppose.

PG- Chancey Billups

This was difficult. No, it's not Rondo or Paul. They're great for stats (and video games), but gamble far too much. Deron Williams and Jason Kidd were considered. Baron Davis probably could be the greatest defensive point guard if he really wanted to. Still, Billups is too big and strong for a point guard to think about taking him inside, and he has tremendous instincts and experience.

And I feel the need to mention that Kendrick Perkins is the most overrated defender in the league. He's very lucky to play for a limelight team.

• Owner

Rondo and Billups are better than Kidd. Kidd is too slow and too old to keep up with the younger PG's in the league.

Ariza has improved this season and the Rockets are a good defensive team, but Battier, Artest, Bean, Prince, Wallace are better than him.

Well, you gave me Billups over Kidd, but Chauncey is barely faster than he is.

And...hate to say it, but stats say otherwise for both cases, Kidd (46% eFG% allowed) and Ariza (40%), compared to Billups at 49% and Rondo at 48% or so, and I'm pretty sure I don't need to list anyone trying to rival Ariza's defense.

C: Kendrick Perkins: The guy blocks shots and is the best post defender in the game right now. Dwight intimidates more penetrations but you can sucker him to the ball and drop in layups underneath him. You can't do that to Perkins. Both are foul prone.

PF: Anderson Varejao: I always sell his defense short and then I watch him play. He's fluid enough to guard perimeter isolations, his rotations are terrific, he's strong, has good technique, hedges screens exceptionally well and plays all out.

SF: LeBron: He's a much better on ball defender this year than he was last year.

SG: Shane Battier: Battier doesn't really deserve this. He's been only good on defense this year, not great as in year's past. No other shooting guard really deserves the honor though.

PG: Rajon Rondo: He swallows point guards whole with that crazy wingspan. He can guard isos, screens, and post ups better than all.

PF: Anderson Varejao: I always sell his defense short and then I watch him play. He's fluid enough to guard perimeter isolations, his rotations are terrific, he's strong, has good technique, hedges screens exceptionally well and plays all out.

You sure?? I know he hustles and all, but is he really the best defensive PF in the entire league??

C: Kendrick Perkins: The guy blocks shots and is the best post defender in the game right now. Dwight intimidates more penetrations but you can sucker him to the ball and drop in layups underneath him. You can't do that to Perkins. Both are foul prone.

PG: Rajon Rondo: He swallows point guards whole with that crazy wingspan. He can guard isos, screens, and post ups better than all.

Oh no. They got you, too.

You sure?? I know he hustles and all, but is he really the best defensive PF in the entire league??

He's been a little better than KG this year and Cleveland is starting to put up the defensive numbers to prove it. Duncan's never been a great one-on-one defender in space, Martin's good but not elite...is there anyone else in the discussion? Maybe Rasheed?

Point guard: Rajon Rondo because of His IQ and athleticism.

Shooting Guard: Andre Iguodala because he is capable of shutting down players, has the IQ and athleticism to be an elite defender. It's just too bad he's playing on the 76ers where he won't go as much exposure as a guy like Kobe would in LA.

Small Forward: Shane Battier because His IQ, his studies of the game and opponents tendencies, and also his ability to put his hand over player's faces

Power Forward: Kevin Garnett because of his IQ, communication with his teammates, leadership, antics and pick n roll defense.

Center: Kendrick Perkins because he's not just a shot blocker but he can also shut down a post scorer from scoring as well, where as a guy like Dwight Howard struggles to defend a post scorer 1 on 1, while Perkins stops guys like Howard, Yao, Duncan, etc. almost every night.

Edited by OverachieversFTW