Largest recorded earthquake rocks Haiti

The Regime

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The largest earthquake ever recorded in the area rocked Haiti on Tuesday, collapsing a hospital where people screamed for help and damaging other buildings. An aid official described "total disaster and chaos."

Communications were widely disrupted, making it impossible to get a clear picture of damage as powerful aftershocks shook a desperately poor country where many buildings are flimsy. Electricity was out in some places.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

:(

STATEMENT BY WYCLEF JEAN ON HAITI EARTHQUAKE

NEW YORK—The following is a statement by Wyclef Jean on today’s magnitude 7.0 earthquake outside Port-au-Prince, Haiti:

“Haiti today faced a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion, an earthquake unlike anything the country has ever experienced.

The magnitude 7.0 earthquake – and several very strong aftershocks – struck only 10 miles from Port-au-Prince.

I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will only make this tragedy worse. The over 2 million people in Port-au-Prince tonight face catastrophe alone. We must act now.

President Obama has already said that the U.S. stands ‘ready to assist’ the Haitian people. The U.S. Military is the only group trained and prepared to offer that assistance immediately. They must do so as soon as possible. The international community must also rise to the occasion and help the Haitian people in every way possible.”

Many people have already reached out to see what they can do right now. We are asking those interested to please do one of two things: Either you can use your cell phone to text “Yele” to 501501, which will automatically donate $5 to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund (it will be charged to your cell phone bill), or you can visit Yele.org and click on DONATE.

Haiti needs your prayers and support: Wyclef Jean on CNN

Edited by Shaliq

Guest The Situation

I just watched raw footage of the streets of Haiti earlier. I wish I didn't because they showed deceased people trapped and people still trapped.

But it really just shows the reality and seriousness of it all.

:(

That's horrible. Hard to say "hope it gets better" since the damage was done and is terrible. On an NBA and Sixers note, hopefully Sammy Dalembert's family is alright. I haven't heard if any of them were near this.

That's horrible. Hard to say "hope it gets better" since the damage was done and is terrible. On an NBA and Sixers note, hopefully Sammy Dalembert's family is alright. I haven't heard if any of them were near this.

:o I know he's haitian but ain't his fam in Canada wit' him already?!

Edited by Shaliq

this [expletive]s crazy, could be nearly half a mil wiped off the face of the earth. really crazy if yu think about it.

500,000? I heard it's "supposed" to reach a 100,000? really that much? this is ridiculous

500,000? I heard it's "supposed" to reach a 100,000? really that much? this is ridiculous

President Rene Preval said he believes thousands were killed in Tuesday afternoon's magnitude-7.0 quake, and the scope of the destruction prompted other officials to give even higher estimates. Leading Sen. Youri Latortue told The Associated Press that 500,000 could be dead, although he acknowledged that nobody really knows.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/13/world/main6092456.shtml

it's so weird thinking about this though. anyways that is what i read, i'd guess more in the 200,000 range or something.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/13/world/main6092456.shtml

it's so weird thinking about this though. anyways that is what i read, i'd guess more in the 200,000 range or something.

CNN reports 100,000...500,000 seems like a strech although who knows.

regardless it's still a huge tragedy and i urge all of you to donate.

WWW.YELE.ORG

I wish these attention whores like Pat Robinson were ignored. People can believe in what they want and they have the right to say what they please, but the things Pat Robinson says really just makes me hate some of these religious fanatics out there. Blame 9/11 on abortion and say Hurricane Katrina and this earthquake were "deals with the devil." Wow.