Suns and Cavs talking Stoudemire trade

MIAMI -- The Arizona Republic reported late Sunday night that the Cavaliers are one of three teams to be in talks recently with the Suns about trading for star Amare Stoudemire.

The reporter on this story is the Republic's Paul Coro, which why there is a blog going up on this topic now and it is not being regarded as common fodder. Coro has a good reputation for being credible. For example, was the first to report the Cavs and Suns had re-started trade talks for Shaquille O'Neal last June.

I had not heard the Cavs have discussed trading for Stoudemire, but league sources have said the Suns are quite worried that Stoudemire plans to leave via free agency next summer and have been looking for a commitment from him now. If they can't get it, a source told me last week, they will press ahead looking to make a deal before next month's deadline.

The Suns have already made several salary-dumping trades over the last year, the biggest was sending O'Neal to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic, which saved the team more than $10 million when both players were bought out (figuring in luxury tax savings).

It would be surprising that the Suns would want to do another salary dump trade with a star, but it isn't impossible. This move potentially could save team owner Robert Sarver another $10 million, and perhaps more.

The natural trade that makes sense here would be Zydrunas Ilgauskas and J.J. Hickson for Stoudemire. The Suns could also ask for draft picks, as the Cavs own their full slate of first-round picks in the future. The Cavs and Suns talked about Hickson in the O'Neal deal, but the Cavs wanted to keep him. So the Suns have a history of interest in Hickson. They also considered drafting him in 2008 but took Robin Lopez instead.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/cleveland_cavaliers_and_phoeni_1.html

I dont see anything Cleveland can offer the Suns other than Z's expiring and some late 1sts. I hope they dont deal with Cleveland because the cavs would end up pairing LBJ with Amare for virtually nothing <_<.

I don't think Phoenix is cheap enough to deal Amare for nothing, they'd at least get a young player to build around. Might as well try and deal with the warriors if they trade Amare with Randolph+some picks going to Phoenix IMO.

Depends whether or not the Suns have any value placed on Hickson and whether or not they think they can do better. Hickson and firsts is definitely comparable to the Pau Gasol deal, and would make the Cavs instant favourites to win it all, at least in my books. Amare played really well when paired with Shaq before IIRC.

Again, if the Suns dealt Amare for Hickson and picks that would be as bad as the Gasol deal, absolutely horrible for the Suns.

I definitely think this is speculation, sure the Cavaliers may be interested but I doubt the Suns are. This writer is comparing the Shaq deal to this potential deal, when really Shaq and Amare are valued 100% differently.

I hope this goes down just so Laker fans feel what the rest of NBA fans felt when the Gasol trade went down.

I actually think the NBA would love to see this trade go down because this would give Lebron another star to play along with finally, because right now a healthy Celtics team would own the east in the playoffs, but if the Cavs were to get Amare it would make the east that much better. As a fan of basketball I would love to see this go down.

• Owner

Do you guys not watch Marc Gasol play? There are times where I would really consider trading Andrew Bynum for him, as well as he's been doing in Memphis.

Now that I think about it, Amare to Cleveland wouldn't be that big of a deal at the end of the day, because the Cavs would still be fighting the Celtics in the ECF's, so there's no guarantee we'd find them in the Finals.

The other two teams teams gunning for Amare are the Wolves and Warriors. Both can put together a decent package especially the Warriors who almost pulled the trigger on a deal draft night.

Edited by Dash

If this deal goes down, then you gotta hand it to Cavs management. We got Mo, Shaq, and Amare and lost little....hopefully we could get Z back in this deal though.

I'd rather go for Jamison honestly because there's less being asked for and he's more of a shooting forward we need.

The other two teams teams gunning for Amare are the Wolves and Warriors. Both can put together a decent package especially the Warriors who almost pulled the trigger on a deal draft night.

I don't see what the Wolves have to offer us unless they are trading Jefferson or Love cause if Amar'e goes to Minnesota and neither leave then one of them is gonna play off the bench. I sure hope we get Love from the Wolves.

If this deal goes down, then you gotta hand it to Cavs management. We got Mo, Shaq, and Amare and lost little....hopefully we could get Z back in this deal though.

I'd rather go for Jamison honestly because there's less being asked for and he's more of a shooting forward we need.

Amare's presence down low is MUCH more of an impact than Jamison's shooting touch would be for Cleveland. At any rate, you dont need much shooting help with Gibson stepping up and Delonte, Mo and Parker already there. Giving LBJ a legit post presence(Shaq isn't this anymore) is HUGE. Looking at it, you guys wouldn't give much, if anything to either teams so i dont see how you could pass on Amare in favor of Jamison as a Cavs fan.

• Owner

Amare is one to shy away from defense most of the time, but Jamison? Come on, the dude doesn't even like defense.

Jamison would just wait for LeBron's penetrations, hitting 15-footers. That's how Cleveland would want him to be utilized in this offense.

On the other hand, Amare would be rolling to the rim, and LeBron would toss oops to him all game long.

There's no way you pass up on that opportunity. You'd have an athletic dunker/scorer in Amare, a plethora of shooters, a big smelly mass named Shaq inside, and one of the best players in the league in LeBron James. Just too many different ways of scoring the ball.

I think the Nets would be a better suiter, with younger pieces and draft picks.

Yeah, I'm sure they won't mind giving away their 10 draft picks over the next 3 years. I'd love their 2010 first one but that's not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Lebron wants Cavs to get Amare.

When presented with several trade proposals, LeBron James preferred Amare Stoudemire, a league source said.

ESPN reported on Saturday morning that Phoenix is absolutely looking for talent in return for Stoudemire and is not considering this a salary dump.

The Suns will almost certainly demand J.J. Hickson and a first round pick in return for Stoudemire.

Stoudemire privately would prefer to be dealt to Miami, his home state.

Link

• Owner

I have a feeling it's going to happen.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns are closing in on a deal that would send All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

The Cavaliers would send Zydrunas Ilgauskas and J.J. Hickson to Phoenix in exchange for Stoudemire, one of the league's most dominant big man.

While Cleveland remains in talks with several other teams, the club, from management down to the players, has settled on Stoudemire as its first choice.

The ball is in Phoenix's court. The Suns are mulling whether the financial relief provided by Ilgauskas's $12 million contract and the young and talented Hickson are enough for them to part with Stoudemire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4913305

Updated by Chris Broussard at around 3:00 AM EST. :(

Other notable sections in that article above...

The Suns will likely waive Ilgauskas, which would allow him to be re-signed by Cleveland after 30 days.

Cleveland is also talking with Washington about acquiring Antawn Jamison, as well as Indiana about Troy Murphy. Meanwhile, Golden State is trying to entice the Cavs into taking Corey Maggette for Ilgauskas.

I have a feeling it's going to happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4913305

Updated by Chris Broussard at around 3:00 AM EST. :(

Other notable sections in that article above...

oh god..the rest ofthe league is screwed.

• Owner

The one thing I do like about this, for the Lakers at least, is that Gasol will dominate Amare in the post. This means less time for Varejao, whatever way you want to swing it, and that's a good thing for us.

While it does give them more offense, it also takes the ball out of LeBron's hands just a bit more. That's not exactly good for about 90% of the teams in the league, but the Lakers are excellent in the passing lanes, so the more we can get James to pass, the better off we can be.

I'm getting a little more confident regarding how it would alter our play against them (the Lakers), but if Cleveland does get this deal done, they are headed straight to the Finals, no question about it.