Suns and Cavs talking Stoudemire trade

• Owner

Kerr is handing the Cavs the [expletive]ing championship.

Basically. He tried doing that already, though, by trading them Shaq for cap room. He's probably still happy that the Cavs franchise was the first to actually give him a chance in the NBA, also, when he was in his 3rd or 4th year in the league.

:lol:

Basically. He tried doing that already, though, by trading them Shaq for cap room. He's probably still happy that the Cavs franchise was the first to actually give him a chance in the NBA, also, when he was in his 3rd or 4th year in the league.

Seriously and I don't see the Hickson hype either, he won't be anything more than a decent starter throughout his career.

I feel bad for Steve Nash though, he has to spend his last years with a team that has no [expletive]ing clue what its doing.

If we get Amare and win a ring Kerr should get a ring too, honestly.

Thinking more about it and I guess as long as we get Z back then this deal is a must. I'm just nervous we could lose Amare in the offseason and that JJ will turn out to be better than him. But last year we regretted not making a deal, so this time we won't pass up the chance to make a deal.

If we get Amare and win a ring Kerr should get a ring too, honestly.

Thinking more about it and I guess as long as we get Z back then this deal is a must. I'm just nervous we could lose Amare in the offseason and that JJ will turn out to be better than him. But last year we regretted not making a deal, so this time we won't pass up the chance to make a deal.

:rolleyes:

Are you being serious? You think that Hickson has the potential to be a multiple time All-Star and consistent 20/9 player?

If this trade were to happen the Cavs obviously improve talent wise and on paper, but with that said, I still think that this could be a pretty high risk move for them. They are clearly playing like the best team in the NBA right now and everybody seems to fit in perfectly on this team. Amare could definitely come in and mess with the chemistry, which no matter how talented he may be, would make the Cavs a worse team.

I would make the trade if I was Ferry as well, but there is definitely a considerable risk to making this trade if you ask me.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I tend to [expletive] on Amare but Hickson will never be close, he will be great with Nash though, will get a lot of dunks and easy buckets from Nash. Hickson was picked in the late first round for a reason, the kid has a lot of holes in his game and will probably never be an all-star. In terms of the deal this is no risk because the Cavaliers are giving nothing they can't afford to lose, but like BFT said this could mess the Cavs up. I do it just so come playoff time LeBron has an ACTUAL 2nd option at his side, not just Mo Williams.

Plus Amare has a nice little face up jumper doesn't he? Like in the 10-13 foot range or something? If he can stick that jumper consistently I am sure this deal will work out fine. I am talking about that jumper Z is always taking, if Amare is capable of doing that relatively consistently he should be fine. Plus having Amare as your starting 4 against the Celtics and Lakers in the playoffs is better than Hickson.

Edited by travesy3

You can't possibly be comparing these 2 trades. The Gasol trade is possibly the most lopsided trade in NBA history.

They are both pretty bad, but the Lakers one isn't the most lopsided trade in history.

What about the Warriors trading Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis for Baron Davis? Or the Nets trading Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, and a first round pick for Vince Carter when he was in his prime? Even though Vince wasn't trying during the point when he was with Toronto.

You can't possibly be comparing these 2 trades. The Gasol trade is possibly the most lopsided trade in NBA history.

Are you serious? Get out of here with that crap. You been brainwashed by the hardcore Laker haters or something. Dont tell me giving up a 9 million dollar expiring contract, a rookie contract, 1st round draft picks, AND a young all star caliber center is a lopsided trade.

Are you serious? Get out of here with that crap. You been brainwashed by the hardcore Laker haters or something. Dont tell me giving up a 9 million dollar expiring contract, a rookie contract, 1st round draft picks, AND a young all star caliber center is a lopsided trade.

The trade was lopsided, especially since no one knew how good Gasol would be at the time. Luckily Marc panned out and looks really good, the Lakers still got the better end but the deal isn't as lopsided as it first seemed. Lakers, like the Cavaliers look like they are doing, got an all-star without giving anything of significance to them.

The trade was lopsided, especially since no one knew how good Gasol would be at the time. Luckily Marc panned out and looks really good, the Lakers still got the better end but the deal isn't as lopsided as it first seemed. Lakers, like the Cavaliers look like they are doing, got an all-star without giving anything of significance to them.

Who cares what the trade looked like? In the end of the deal it turns out the Grizzlies got exactly what they needed, Marc will be a great player for years and all the cap space they freed up allowed them to get Zach Randolph. The Grizzlies knew what they were doing and yall just freaked out for no reason saying we robbed the Grizzlies or something.

Considering Marc was rated as one of the best European players at the time, maybe, just maybe, Memphis knew what they were doing. Surprise surprise.

The Gasol trade was theft on the court but the reason it happened is Buss taking on an extra 30M in salary. That deal ushered in a new era of trades where you have to ignore the players and follow the money. Lakers got a gift but they literally had to pay for it. Anyone willing to take on 30M in additional salary now?

Why didn't Pau go to Chicago? Because Reinsdorf wasn't willing to pay the price that Buss did. Why have the Lakers been in the finals every other year since Buss was owner? Actions like the Pau deal. Our owner wants to win, I apologize for nothing.

Evaluating the Gasol deal strictly on players exchanged misses the point entirely. The trade was about money.

Who cares what the trade looked like? In the end of the deal it turns out the Grizzlies got exactly what they needed, Marc will be a great player for years and all the cap space they freed up allowed them to get Zach Randolph. The Grizzlies knew what they were doing and yall just freaked out for no reason saying we robbed the Grizzlies or something.

Who cares what it looked like? That is like saying who cares what this looks like now since we don't know what Hickson will become.

EDIT: Ya Marc was a top rated Euro player but don't be crazy, no one knew Marc would become as good as he is now this fast. That trade was highway robbery at the time, just like this deal would be now.

Edited by travesy3

• Owner

Actually, if I recall correctly, there were quite a few Lakers fans that really liked the trade, but were worried that Marc Gasol would turn out to be as good as his brother...and given the fact that he was younger and cheaper, it was a risk.

Plus, people thought Crittenton would be a poor man's Dwyane Wade. Anyone remember the scouting done on him, and how the Lakers "stole" him during the draft?

People don't know how good (or bad) draft picks are going to be, either, until they end up with a Rajon Rondo or a Manu Ginobili...or, on the other hand, a Michael Olowokandi or Jonathan Bender.

And Sky is right, it was all about the money. A few years post-trade, we all see how important that was.

Maybe Hickson will turn out to be a good player. Marc Gasol is a better defender than Pau, and while he doesn't score as well and doesn't have the offensive skillset, he's still able to put up 15 a game and grab double-digit boards. These teams (Lakers and Grizzlies included) have international scouts. There was a reason why the Grizzlies wanted Gasol over Yue.