Grizzlies' Randolph always had game; now he has respect, recognition

La Bomba

Randolph had just become a Grizzly after being traded from the Los Angeles Clippers, and he was determined to work toward personal victories.

The talented power forward -- haunted by his travails -- wanted to be more successful than he's ever been in NBA games, and win over critics whose views of his value were soiled by past transgressions.

And in a span of 44 games, Randolph has gone through a wash cycle that now is in context.

There's no career detergent like being named an NBA All-Star -- an honor Randolph officially received Thursday evening when he was selected as a Western Conference reserve.

Randolph has lived up to his preseason promise of becoming a better player, as evidenced by his averages of 21 points and career-high 11.6 rebounds. He's lived up to his vow to become a leader in the Grizzlies' locker room, as evidenced by his selection to be a co-captain. And Randolph has steered clear of the off-the-court trouble that marked the early part of his NBA career.

As an All-Star for the first time, Randolph received validation and the stamp of approval that he's reached his potential and perhaps buried the negativity that's dogged him.

"What you hope is that people just get the chance to know you," Randolph said. "Yeah, perception follows you. But that's changing in Memphis. This is big. It's a blessing. I've worked hard for this my whole career. But I've got to give thanks to coach (Lionel) Hollins, my teammates and to the organization. They've given me this opportunity."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jan/29/transformer/

I am impressed he has come this far along in one season at this age. What is most impressive is not his numbers, but how much he has improved the Grizzlies team by being the main addition in the off-season. Gone from a bottom 3 team to a really solid team just by adding him.

Teams can actually look at Randolph as a legitimate piece to a championship puzzle it seems now, at least if THIS Zach Randolph is the Zach Randolph we will see from here on out.

Is he still a fat slob who can't run the floor or play defense?

Randolph lost 15 pounds over the off season and has become a workhorse for us in a way. His defense still isn't great because his feet are slow and he isn't athletic enough to block shots, but he gives an effort, as opposed to last season.

I always knew Zach was good and I felt he should of made the All-Star team back when he was with Portland when he was putting up about 20/10 but it's good to see he's found a good home in Memphis and he's improved his game more, lost some weight, and is actually making an effort on the defensive end. I think him making the All-Star team was well deserved.