Billups to wear #1 next season

PARKER — One by one, the kids at Parker Fieldhouse strode to the table where a Chauncey Billups autograph awaited them on Wednesday. Close examination revealed that Billups' beard isn't the only new thing about the Nuggets leader.

Billups signed some of the autographs "Chauncey Billups #1" — the new number on his Nuggets jersey next season. The superstar guard is letting go of No. 7, which was good to him last season in his return to Denver.

Billups chose No. 7 as a tribute to former Broncos quarterback John Elway, a man he idolized growing up in Denver. Elway introduced Billups to the Pepsi Center crowd on May 3, prior to a Nuggets-Mavericks playoff game.

"It was in the plan the whole time," Billups said. "I just felt like No. 7 was great for me. . . . But there's really just going to be just one No. 7 in this town, and that's going to be John forever. I just wanted to kind of try to make my own legacy."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12737490

Interesting... I wonder what # will J.R. wear.

i never understood changing your number. its like your identity. i cant understand if you have to but not on your own free will

I wouldn't change my number if I was in the NBA either. I will forever be number 21.

i never understood changing your number. its like your identity. i cant understand if you have to but not on your own free will

His identity is #1, his plan was to be #7 to honor Elway for a year, and then go back to #1.

I wouldn't change my number if I was in the NBA either. I will forever be number 21.

As a rookie in the NBA it'd be fun trying to get that from someone who already has the number if that's the case.