Yao Ming to announce season-ending surgery

"Sources close to Rockets center Yao Ming tell Local 2 this afternoon he will announce he is having major surgery on his left foot in the next few days, and that the procedure will keep him out of the upcoming Rockets season."

--

One playoff spot in the West just opened up. Rockets are a lottery/amongst the worst in the league without McGrady and Yao.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn

• Owner

Man, that really does suck for Yao. I don't care how good or bad Houston will be.

FMI (for my information), what's the deal on McGrady? You guys are talking like he's out for the season as well...but I must have missed that announcement.

Man, that really does suck for Yao. I don't care how good or bad Houston will be.

FMI (for my information), what's the deal on McGrady? You guys are talking like he's out for the season as well...but I must have missed that announcement.

I read several times he might miss up to the all star break, but then there was video commenting on Yaos injury and he said he'll be back to begin the year. Not sure and I am not sure if I want him to begin the season.

Edited by Clutch.

This was in the news yesterday about McGrady:

"The other Rocket star, forward Tracy McGrady, is recovering from knee surgery and may not join the team till January."

And you just know that even when he comes back, he's not going to be anywhere near the player we remember him to be, so his return, whenever it comes (and I don't think it will until mid-February at least, with McGrady's history) really wont mean much for the Rockets in the long run.

Chances are probably around 50/50 that we see him in the NBA again, especially since it's so hard for big man to keep playing once they get injured. Really sucks. When healthy, he's one of the best offensive centers in the league.

Whats the point of keeping Yao on this team? Paying a player to be injured every season

The same reason we keep you on the forum, you could always make a dumbass post like this one.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

Whats the point of keeping Yao on this team? Paying a player to be injured every season

Insurance companies pay for injured players. + the Rockets can apply for an injured-player exception, which they can receive up to $5.6 million extra which they can spend on a player to fill in for Yao.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn

Insurance companies pay for injured players. + the Rockets can apply for an injured-player exception, which they can receive up to $5.6 million extra which they can spend on a player to fill in for Yao.

The Rockets have already applied for an IPE and they basically used that to sign Ariza if I am not mistaken. I remember reading about that a little while ago but I am not 100% sure. I will try to find a link for that though.

EDIT: Found the link to the article I read:

The Rockets applied for a disabled player exception from the NBA a few weeks ago, betting that their center will miss next season as he recovers. The NBA agreed that Yao’s return is unlikely and approved the request, freeing up about $5.7 million that the Rockets used to sign free agent Trevor Ariza(notes) from the Lakers.

Source (4th Paragraph)

Edited by Built Ford Tough