Miami Intensifies Pursuit of Stoudemire

Flash

The Miami Heat have intensified their efforts to trump Cleveland in the chase for Phoenix Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, sources close to the situation said Monday.

The Heat emerged from the All-Star break even more determined than they were before to find a third team to help them broker an Amare deal before Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline.

Miami is "coming hard" after Stoudemire, one source said.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3607.jpg Stoudemire

Although the Heat have first-round picks available to sweeten any Stoudemire deal -- with the Suns hoping to come away with at least one first-rounder if they decide to trade Stoudemire this week -- sources say Phoenix has no interest in taking back Jermaine O'Neal's hefty expiring contract because, at $23 million, it requires more players to be worked into the deal than the Suns are comfortable with.

Yet one source insisted Monday night that the Suns have not ruled out taking back forward Michael Beasley as part of a Stoudemire deal. The Heat -- after carefully preserving their salary-cap space for months -- are suddenly pushing hard to make a big trade splash now if possible instead of waiting for free agency in July and gambling on the idea that they can lure a marquee name such as LeBron James or Chris Bosh to South Beach to flank Dwyane Wade.

The Cavaliers are prepared to send Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract, young power forward J.J. Hickson and perhaps draft considerations to the Suns for Stoudemire, who appeared to give Cleveland further motivation to make that bold move when he used his Twitter feed Monday night to scoff at speculation that he and Cavs center Shaquille O'Neal can't co-exist.

ESPN

I heard the 6ers are the holdup because they are not biting on the 3 way deal of Iggy to PHX, Amare to MIA, and Beasley to PHL.

That would be horrific beyond belief.

I think Beasley is off the table FWIW. After seeing that hideous offer from Cleveland get Phoenix's attention I think we can throw some really nice exprings at them plus a first rounder that would be better than Clevelands.

Heat won't be getting Amare if Beasley is off the table IMO, they have nothing to offer that is better than Hickson. Maybe if the Cavs fall out of the running they can, but otherwise I don't see it happening.

I am happy to see the Heat making an attempt to make an immediate move to appease their star rather than sitting back.

• Owner

Wow, Haslem would have fit very well in Charlotte. I wonder who they were asking for out of the Bobcats' roster?

No idea, but Charlotte seems to be shopping Augustin and Diaw.

Maybe a larger trade, where Augustin goes to Phoenix, Diaw to Miami?

No idea, but Charlotte seems to be shopping Augustin and Diaw.

Maybe a larger trade, where Augustin goes to Phoenix, Diaw to Miami?

Well, if the Heat are keeping O'Neal, Beasley and getting Amare, there's not going to be much space for playing time for Diaw. The Heat have had PG problems, though. They could go after Augustin instead.

No clue what's going to happen, ultimately, though. All I know is that Riles is pushing hard for a guy like Stoudemire and Jamison, and he's willing to throw anyone on the table that isn't named Dwyane Wade, and is very reluctant to add in Beasley as well.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Ah, yep...

The Miami Heat have failed to recruit the Charlotte Bobcats as a third team in trade talks for Amar’e Stoudemire(notes), league sources said. The discussions centered on Charlotte taking on Udonis Haslem(notes) in a deal, but the price ultimately made no sense for them.

It would’ve possibly opened the door for Miami to deal Jermaine O’Neal(notes) to the Suns and take back both Stoudemire and Jason Richardson(notes). The Suns have tried to include Richardson, who will make $14.4 million next season, in packages with Stoudemire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-tradebuzz021610&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I'm too lazy to check on the trade, but to get both Amare and Diaw, I'm sure the Heat would have to deal Jermaine and Haslem both.

If it's a three-way trade including both Haslem and O'Neal, and knowing Haslem was supposed to go to Charlotte, then that means that O'Neal would be dealt to Pheonix, or else that's 30M for the Bobcats to cancel out.

So essentially, that would have been an O'Neal for Amare trade, anyway. O'Neal has a good 6M or 7M over Amare's contract, so I don't see who Charlotte could have given up for Pheonix to make it work without Pheonix giving up another one of their better players. The only players on their team to make more than just 2M is Grant Hill (3M), Barbosa (6.6M), J-Rich (13.3M), and Steve Nash (13M).

• Owner

If it's a three-way trade including both Haslem and O'Neal, and knowing Haslem was supposed to go to Charlotte, then that means that O'Neal would be dealt to Pheonix, or else that's 30M for the Bobcats to cancel out.

So essentially, that would have been an O'Neal for Amare trade, anyway. O'Neal has a good 6M or 7M over Amare's contract, so I don't see who Charlotte could have given up for Pheonix to make it work without Pheonix giving up another one of their better players. The only players on their team to make more than just 2M is Grant Hill (3M), Barbosa (6.6M), J-Rich (13.3M), and Steve Nash (13M).

Yeah, with the Heat taking back J-Rich.

So...Augustin to Phoenix? Or...I don't see why they would take Diaw back, but the money doesn't work out, though.

I HATE THESE LAST THREE DAYS.

Heat won't be getting Amare if Beasley is off the table IMO, they have nothing to offer that is better than Hickson. Maybe if the Cavs fall out of the running they can, but otherwise I don't see it happening.

I am happy to see the Heat making an attempt to make an immediate move to appease their star rather than sitting back.

We have ours and your first round pick to offer. We have guys like Wright and Cook who IMO would flourish in that Phoenix system with their talents. We also have the biggest expiring in the whole league in O'Neal.

I can tell you that I'm almost certain that Beasley aint going anywhere. Moving Jermaine's expiring to Charlotte could have been discussed too I'm sure.

Yeah, with the Heat taking back J-Rich.

So...Augustin to Phoenix? Or...I don't see why they would take Diaw back, but the money doesn't work out, though.

I HATE THESE LAST THREE DAYS.

Yea.. I think the bottom line is that, the trade simply doesn't work out.

Riles is going to have to find another third team if he wants Amare this badly.

Riley wants him, he will get him. I am pretty sure he is calling every team and checking every possible trade right now, he won't just let the Cavs take Amare with no competition. Maybe looking for a way to keep Beasley before just tossing him out there.

• Owner

Hmm...

According to an NBA source, the Heat are offering Daequan Cook, Quentin Richardson, Dorell Wright, Mario Chalmers and draft picks to the Suns. Cook is the only player among that group who is under contract for next season (Chalmers has a team option for $847,000). It is believed that the Suns would rather have a package from Cleveland that would include Zydrunas Ilgauskas, J.J. Hickson and a draft pick, with the young Hickson as the most appealing part of the package.