Update: Rockets, Kings, Knicks three-way

Real Deal

Great read on how Morey worked his magic.

Morey Magic

A few weeks ago we heard that Morey really wanted Kevin Martin and was willing to offer Scola in a package for him (2/9 podcast with John & Lance on 1560)

I bring this up because when you consider that information, and all the "leaked" info in the 48 hours before the deadline, you'll realize how masterfully Morey played this poker game.

With Morey and Knicks president Donnie Walsh both needing to make a deal and both holding firm on their positions, the Rockets leaked to the press that if they didn't get everything that they wanted from New York, they would take a deal from Chicago. Even the Rockets beat writer was selling the Bulls option.

Only one problem: Chicago was a bluff.

Walsh didn't buy it and New York in turn gave the media "anonymous source" quotes that the Rockets were asking way too much and the Knicks weren't going to give in.

That's when Morey changed the game. With the Kings suddenly more open on a deal in the final 24 hours, Morey upped the ante by offering Landry instead of Scola. His tremendous contract value kept the Rockets from taking back any long-term salary deadweight from the Kings (which kept the Jared Jeffries option alive) and it put overwhelming pressure on the Knicks. Morey could now call Walsh and say, "We have a done deal with the Kings."

And at that point, Walsh folded. He had to get McGrady and the cap room that came with dumping Jeffries. As a result, Morey got everything he wanted -- three very young assets (Hill, flip pick rights in '11, 1st round pick in '12) that are going to be extremely attractive in trades this summer.

Net result: Martin, Hill, incredibly good draft considerations. Un-be-lievable.

With this Herschel Walker-esque haul, Daryl Morey has upped his reputation as the new Jerry West. If you're running one of the lesser 29 NBA teams and Daryl Morey calls you, why would you even think about picking up at this point? Sure, you could just hear what he has to say, but it would be like going to one of those timeshare sales pitches just to get the free gift. A few hours later you realize you've dropped $50K on an outhouse in Idaho.

Link

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Doesn't look like the Rox will be swapping with the Knicks this year.. the way things worked out for NY so far, I'm pretty happy with this trade. Can't say I felt the same at the time, or even up until Melo came to town. Unless something drastic happens, the pick will likely be late next year too. :glasses:

I think you mean it will be another mid first round pick. I doubt the Knicks make the neccesary additions in just one season and elevate much higher than their current standing. A mid first in next year's STACKED draft is just as a good as a lottery pick.

The swap probably would have gone into effect if Yao never got hurt or if we were in the same conference but whatever. I still think it was a great deal on the Rockets part, to get a legit sidekick in Kevin Martin, a prospect with potential in Jordan Hill and esssentially a lottery pick unless the Knicks improve dramatically, is a good deal.

Deal definitely looks better on the Knicks' end though.

Edited by Dash

Meh, I really, really believe that the Knicks will be able to top 42-44 wins next year, probably closer to 50. I don't want to sound like the cocky optimistic, but hopefully we nab a competent big with the MLE and make some noise this offseason and continue to bolster our team into a real contender. A full preseason with Amar'e/Melo/Billups will be nice, too. Hopefully if the Knicks get swept, a new coach too :lol:

A pick in the 17-20 range is fine with me to give up in order to grab a chance at Amar'e/Melo, and Jordan Hill (in my freaking opinion, okay?? MY FREAKING OPINION, OKAY???) is not that good at basketball.

When it comes down to it, though.. we can both be happy with this trade, and both for different reasons. Nothing would make me happier than to be thrilled with the trade and have my best friend Dash be thrilled with the trade too :wub: :wub:

Meh, I really, really believe that the Knicks will be able to top 42-44 wins next year, probably closer to 50. I don't want to sound like the cocky optimistic, but hopefully we nab a competent big with the MLE and make some noise this offseason and continue to bolster our team into a real contender. A full preseason with Amar'e/Melo/Billups will be nice, too. Hopefully if the Knicks get swept, a new coach too :lol:

A pick in the 17-20 range is fine with me to give up in order to grab a chance at Amar'e/Melo, and Jordan Hill (in my freaking opinion, okay?? MY FREAKING OPINION, OKAY???) is not that good at basketball.

When it comes down to it, though.. we can both be happy with this trade, and both for different reasons. Nothing would make me happier than to be thrilled with the trade and have my best friend Dash be thrilled with the trade too :wub: :wub:

Thank you for considering me hun. :wub:

Jordan Hill will be a quality NBA player.