Rockets to be players in 2010 free agency?

Dash

Interesting quote from Morey.

"We're not out of [the free agent sweepstakes]. In our opinion, we're actually more in it," said Morey. "For those players to just sign with a team, they have to choose to give up 30 million dollars. I haven't seen many players who do that. Now, they might, but I think most of those players are going to go in a sign-and-trade. We like the players we have, but we'll have an opportunity there."

A hypothetical situation from a Clutchfans article.

Let's use Toronto power forward Chris Bosh as a hypothetical example (but Amar'e Stoudemire or any star player that would leave their team in a rebuilding state by bolting would work just as well).

While max free agents generally stay with their teams since they can get the most money, let's say Bosh is serious about leaving the Raptors and signing outright with the Knicks. Toronto, faced with the prospect of losing Bosh to the Knicks for nothing, is now serious about a sign-and-trade. Assuming Bosh wants the most money and considers Houston an attractive situation (as most free agents do), he plays ball.

Well, the Rockets can actually offer a package that includes their 2011 draft pick (which comes with the option of switching with the Knicks pick) to the team that is about to lose a star player to ... wait for it... the Knicks.

Think that's not attractive to them?

The Raptors look at that trade, knowing full well that if they do it, it keeps their player from the Knicks, thus potentially hurting the Knicks, thus increasing the value of the Knicks pick they just acquired in the process.

Link

Here's a list of the assets the Rockets have at their disposal.

Aaron Brooks

Trevor Ariza

Jordan Hill

Kyle Lowry

Chase Budinger

Jermaine Taylor

Draft rights to Sergio Llull

Hilton Armstrong

Rockets 2010 first (lottery pick?)

Knicks 2011 (must be swapped with Rockets '11 first) + 2012 first round picks

That is A LOT of attractive assets and plenty of different scenarios for Daryle Morey to play with. Houston can package any of those along with Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries (roughly $15 million in expirings) to land a top tier free agent. Houston also has the option to sign and trade Luis Scola ($7-8 million maybe?) if desired.

Well played Morey, the 2010 offseason is definitely going to be a fun ride for Rockets fans.

Interesting quote from Morey.

A hypothetical situation from a Clutchfans article.

Link

Here's a list of the assets the Rockets have at their disposal.

Aaron Brooks

Trevor Ariza

Jordan Hill

Kyle Lowry

Chase Budinger

Jermaine Taylor

Draft rights to Sergio Llull

Hilton Armstrong

Rockets 2010 first (lottery pick?)

Knicks 2011 (must be swapped with Rockets '11 first) + 2012 first round picks

That is A LOT of attractive assets and plenty of different scenarios for Daryle Morey to play with. Houston can package any of those along with Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries (roughly $15 million in expirings) to land a top tier free agent. Houston also has the option to sign and trade Luis Scola ($7-8 million maybe?) if desired.

Well played Morey, the 2010 offseason is definitely going to be a fun ride for Rockets fans.

Good find, Houston does still have flexibility. Though I wouldn't call Hilton Armstrong an asset :lol:.

Good find, Houston does still have flexibility. Though I wouldn't call Hilton Armstrong an asset :lol:.

:lol:

Well if he can prove to be somewhat decent for the next 30 games then he wouldn't be a bad throw-in.

Edited by Dash

Hollinger's take on the possibility of a sign and trade.

Fan:

Given the way he's stocked assets, is Daryl Morey in the best position to grab one of the big free agents this summer via sign-and-trade?

Hollinger:

He's in good position, but other GMs have assets in place too. The big advantage he has is that NBA players really like Houston (No, I don't know why, either; I'm just the messenger, folks) and his owner is willing to spend. He's right, however, that it's a better position than just having $8 mil or so in cap space, which is where Hou was headed.

• 1 month later...

David Thorpe believes. :)

Zeeshan (Houston, TX)

With all the assets, can the Rockets pull off a big splash in the offseason?

David Thorpe (12:40 PM)

i think they are dark horse to make a major deal.

Obviously not much but its good to hear an analyst think we are a darkhorse.

^I was thinking Houston could be a player for Lebron last year because of the front office, supporting cast and China but its clear Lebron is staying with Cleveland. I was thinking the same about Wade too but don't see any possibility of that happening either. Best case scenario is Chris Bosh or Amar'e Stoudemire in a sign and trade (probably including one of the Knicks picks, an expriing contract plus one or two of our young players).

I'm not sure about the chances of landing either one but I do think we are a top 5-7 free agent player.

To be perfectly honest, I think that my best case scenario as a Raptors fan this offseason would be for the Raptors and Rockets make a sign and trade involving Chris Bosh. As much as I appreciate what Bosh has done for the Raptors in his 7 years with the team, and as much as I like him as a player (when he is playing to the best of his abilities and not settling), I think it might be in the best interest of both teams if they weren't their seperate ways.

I won't complain if he re-signs, obviously, but I don't think I will really care all that much if he leaves either, especially if the Raptors get some valuable assets to rebuild in return.

I don't know what Houston would be offering in a sign and trade scenario, but I definitely am intrigued by an offer that would possibly include assets like the Knicks '11 pick and '12 pick and the expiring contracts of Battier/Jeffries, as well as young player like Hill (Brooks doesn't really seem like he would leave).

I don't think that Colangelo really believes Bosh is worth a $130M contract, and to be honest with you, I don't really think that Bosh is worth it either. Obviously he is a star player and is going to get that money as that is the way that the market is breaking down, but I question whether or not it is in the Raptors best interest to hand over a max deal to Bosh.

Since you guys are much more aware of what Houston would be willing to give up in a S&T, what do you think the kind of offer that Houston would present to Colangelo for Bosh?

And, most importantly of all, how much interest would the Rockets have in Bosh? I imagine they would be interested but would it be enough to give him a max deal as well as give up valuable assets for?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Its tough to say what exactly what Houston will give up with all the possibilities. Take a look back at the deadline when we nearly acquired Amare Stoudemire.

One source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande that the Rockets -- fresh off constructing a three-team blockbuster that sent Tracy McGrady to New York and landed Kevin Martin in Houston -- offered veterans Shane Battier and Luis Scola, multiple draft picks and the expiring contract of Brian Cook for Stoudemire. But the source said Phoenix wanted to waive the requisite physical examinations for the players involved to make sure the trade went through in time, only for Houston to refuse because of Stoudemire's injury history.

Yet another source with knowledge of the talks disputed that account, telling ESPN.com that the Suns initiated the conversation by asking for Battier, Scola and draft considerations, which Houston refused.

Who initiated the talks is still unknown but the pieces are whats interesting, namely the multiple draft picks. Is Houston really willing to trade away two draft picks that in a best case scenario are the 2nd and 6th overall picks in 2011/2012? My guess is that Morey will dangle only one of the two and use the other pick later on in the year, probably near the trade deadline. The expiring contracts of Battier and Jeffries will have to be included, but I wouldn't rule out Scola being involved in the trade because I doubt a player as skilled as he is wants to play backup to Bosh. And the final piece, the young prospect, Jordan Hill makes the most sense but Aaron Brooks is by no means out of the question. It really depends on how Morey views Brooks, does he view him as a championship point guard or is he souring on his lack of defense and playmaking abilities? Considering that it will be difficult to replace a player like Aaron, Jordan will be the bait. You have to also consider the fact that Morey, not Colangelo, has the leverage in the trade talks.

I do agree that Bosh is not worth a max contract but I don't think there is any way that Houston will pass up on Bosh even if he demands the max.

All in all I think a package of 2011 or 2012 Knicks first + Battier + Jeffires + Hill will be the offer. I'm reluctant about adding the second Knicks pick unless we absolutely have to in a trade.

One issue I do worry about is that will Bosh still be interested in joining the Rockets with Yao, Kevin Martin and Brooks on the team? I believe he has said in the past that he wants to be 'the man' and all three of those players will want their touches.

I think Houston can definitely make a move for one of the 3 big forwards. It wouldn't shock me to see Boozer wind up there or even Amare. A S&T for Bosh would make a lot of sense too.

Small bit from espn.

I'm giving the Mavs only this much of a chance because they have attractive sign-and-trade assets and because Dallas and Toronto just did a megadeal last summer involving Shawn Marion. Bosh has insisted a zillion times that he has no idea yet where he's headed, but he has also said repeatedly that playing in his hometown isn't the most enticing prospect.

I see Houston as the Texas team that has the best shot at Bosh, because (A) I know that the Rockets have serious interest and (B) there are concerns in Big D that Bosh and Dirk Nowitzki are too similar.

-Marc Stein

Edited by Dash