Fish's movie blog

fish7718

Fish, can you recommend some movies that are already out on DVD or have a non-camera theater release?

How bout all the movies released last year ;) idk what a non-camera theatre release is but if you like animation check out spirited away, great flick

Notorious - 3.5

Mall Cop - 2.5

Underworld: Evolution - 3.5

Taken - 3.0

Race to Witch Mountin - 3.0

I Love You Man - 4.0

12 Rounds - 1.5

Fast & Furious - 3.5

Dragonball - 1.5

Hannah Montana: The Movie - 3.5

Observe and Report - 3.0

Fighting - 4.0

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 4.5

Next Day Air - 2.0

Star Trek - 4.5

Terminator Salvation - 3.0

Night at the Meusuem: Battle of the Smithsonian - 3.5

Up - 4.0

Hangover - 5.0

Taking of Pelham 123 - 3.5

The Proposal - 4.0

Year One - 1.5

Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen - 4.0

Bruno - 4.5

G.I. Joe - 4.0

A Perfect Getaway - 4.5

District 9 - 3.5

Inglorious Basterds - 5.0

9 - 4.5

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs - 4.0

Paranomal Activity - 3.0

Zombieland - 4.0

Couples Retreat - 3.5

Law Abiding Citizen - 4.5

The Blindside - 4.5

Plant 51 - 3.0

Ninja Assassin - 2.0

Amored - 2.0

Brothers - 5.0

Invictus - 4.0

Sherlock Holmes - 5.0

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - 3.0

Public Enemies - 3.0

G-Force - 3.5

The Ugly Truth - 4.0

Tooth Fairy - 3.5

State of Play - 3.5

Pandorum - 3.5

Brooklyns Finest - 3.5

The Lovely Bones - 4.0

The Book of Eli - 4.0

Edge of Darkness - 2.5

From Paris with Love - 3.5

Shutter Island - 4.5

The Crazies - 3.5

Cop Out - 3.0

Alice in Wonderland - 3.0

Clash of the Titans - 4.5

Iron Man 2 - 4.0

Prince of Persia - 4.5

Kick-[expletive] - 3

MacGruber - 3.5

Robin Hood - 3.5

Get Him to the Greek - 3.0

The A-Team - 3.0

Toy Story 3 - 5.0

Grown Ups - 2.5

The Last Airbender - 2.0

The Sorcerer's Apprentice - 4.0

Inception - 5.0

Knight and Day - 4.0

The Karate Kid - 4.0

Predators - 3.5

Salt - 4.5

Despicable Me - 5

Diary of a wimpy kid - 3.5

Edited by Fish7718

Hey Fish, what do you think about the Expendables which is coming out soon?

It stars - Sylvestar Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Eric Roberts, Terry Crews (kinda why I want to watch it other than the amazing cast), Mickey Rourke, Arnold Schwarznegger, Bruce Willis and a few more that I might not know but you guys might.

Edited by Sun Tzu

Hey Fish, what do you think about the Expendables which is coming out soon?

It stars - Sylvestar Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Eric Roberts, Terry Crews (kinda why I want to watch it other than the amazing cast), Mickey Rourke, Arnold Schwarznegger, Bruce Willis and a few more that I might not know but you guys might.

Yeah it's def loaded with star power which makes it look very interesting, Stone Cold is also in it :lol:. Looks like it can be an incredible action movie, unfortunately thats really all I know about it. Don't much about the story line so I can't tell you much, but it's def loaded with the potential to be an incredible movie. Must see at the moment, imo.

Holy crap, I just watched Garden State with Fish. Funny, sad, and happy all at the same time. I almost cried because I was upset and then almost cried because I was happy. gets a 5, watch it now :)

Holy crap, I just watched Garden State with Fish. Funny, sad, and happy all at the same time. I almost cried because I was upset and then almost cried because I was happy. gets a 5, watch it now :)

Gets a 4 from me.... :glasses: , still def a great buy for anyone, its out on DVD you see it get it

Gets a 4 from me.... :glasses: , still def a great buy for anyone, its out on DVD you see it get it

Bullocks, you know you are giving it a 5. You were laughing non stop.

Btw, the guy that plays Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory makes an awesome geek cameo in this movie.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw Inception... I get the overall idea but dreams within dreams confuse me lol I gotta watch it again...

Yeah, same here still haven't got around to doin that, no doubt I will get it when it comes out on DVD

Any must-watch movie to be released this year, Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpJUh9j-jU

Edited by Fish7718

Alright gents the time has come to wrap the summer up and put away the blog for now. Since I'll be in school I won't be watching much movies, but hey, I'll be back next year. I'll chime in every now and then with maybe a preview or a DVD recommend but the time has come to say good bye. Don't you fret though I don't depart without gifts, 'Gifts?' Yes 4 new movie reviews AND THE TOP 3 MOVIES OF THE SUMMER!!!!

Note: I'm grading on a harsher scale now, we had to many 4's and 3.5's and 4.5's and I started a few movies ago and I'm continuing.

New Format!!!

The Other Guys

http://www.dancewithshadows.com/movies/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/the-other-guys.jpg

The Other Guys is a cop comedy staged in present day NYC. It stars Will Ferrell and Mark Whalberg as partners who simply don't mix. Whalberg plays his usual 'down on his luck' character he portrays so well, after shooting a famous star in NYC he is downgraded to desk duty with Ferrell who is more than meets the eye. When Ferrell bites off a bit more than he can chew the 2 begin a crazy funny trip. The realism of this film is completely gone, however considering the opening scene (the car chase in the trailer) I can accept it because the movie admits it going for strict comedy basis. Bottom line, this movie is laugh out loud funny, weather it's Michael Keaton's character working as a police captin and bed bath and beyond manager or Will Ferrell's character's alter ego 'gator' you're going to laugh. My personal favorite - "AMERICA!!!" - 3.5

Dinner for Schmucks

http://www.dailyactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Dinner-for-schmucks-poster.jpg

Dinner for Schmucks stars Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd, another great comedic duo, this one does not deliver. A lot of the jokes in this movie are either oversold or not funny. Despite that the whole movie is a joke so it's still pretty damn funny. Steve Carrell is a taxidermist who recreates famous moments in history and portraits and other things using mice. It's actually really cool and creative, in my opinion. Paul is an employee trying to get a promotion and hold on to his girl at the same time. If Paul's character can survive till the dinner he's sure to get that promotion, however he has to survive. A decent movie but don't look to this one for much more than a short laugh. - 3.0

The rest will be up tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...

The Expendables

http://www.dailyactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/The-Expendables-poster.jpg

I must say I'm disappointed. I saw this review on IMDB the day I saw the film and described my every thought on the movie, and now I can't seem to find it, even after an extensive search of my internet history. Anyways the review explained how much of a huge let down it was. How it was a 12 year old kids fantasy and how the movie absolutely sucked. Too bad I couldn't find it. I would go into more detail of how horrible the movie is but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. - 2.0

Vampires Suck

http://0.tqn.com/d/movies/1/0/P/2/W/vampires-suck-poster.jpg

Obviously Vampries suck, regrettably not as much as this movie. Don't waste your time. - 1.0

Easy A

http://0.tqn.com/d/movies/1/0/D/3/W/easy-a-poster.jpg

Easy A is about girl who makes up a story that she lost her virginity. After she does this she becomes popular, I guess. This movie is one of the high school, I'm confused and don't know who I am and high school is my life movies. Like Mean Girls, or 10 things I hate about you, if you don't get what I'm saying by now I guess you won't. Anyways they do a good job with it, it is surprisingly hilarious. Definitely worth checking out. Get's a 4 because despite that over used high school crap storyline it has a fresh comedic spin to it. - 4.0

Top 5 Movies of the Summer (June-July-August)

1. Inception - Flat out master piece. A real thinker that challenges the mind while uncovering a beautiful well-formed plot. Rounded out by excellent directing and acting. Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilwtqaN4Gs

2. Toy Story 3 - Probably the best animation film ever made. Toy Story really could have ended this series anyway they wanted but they took it to the fullest with this one. Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FfHA5whXc

3. Despicable Me - A comical heart warming animation film. Movie does a really great job at winning over the audience especially with the use of the little yellow minions. Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_rUbqbhUEQ

4. Salt - A thriller that stars miss Angelina Jolie. Keeps you guessing throughout the whole film of exactly what is going on. You will probably be on both sides at least twice before it ends. Trailer -

5. Knight and Day - Comedic spy movie, that sort of has you guessing. Like I said though, comedic. If for some reason you didn't like Tom Cruise before, you will now. Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxTlf2MazA

Are you going to get around to watching The Social Network? I want to see how well you rate it.

Wanted to see it Friday but I saw Easy A instead, was supposed to go tonight, but ended up not going. Hopefully I get out to see it next weekend.

Nice blog!

I watched Social Network, so much better than I thought. Could have been a mess without the brilliance of David Fincher, and Aaron Sorkin.

Solid acting by Jesse Eisenberg, looking forward to more form him.

Edited by htown11
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched "Water for Elephants"

I think Robert Pattinson is a terrible actor... at least terrible for an emotional character like this. I watched the first hour and he's shy-grinning the whole movie like he's a girl, and talks about 3-4 words... it almost ruined the whole movie. He's best suited for cold character, he makes a good sadist/ murderer character lol

What saves the movie is pretty good story, Witherspoon and Waltz's acting.

But Pattinson's shy-grinning nearly ruined it all by himself... I'm sure his character is supposed to be "shy", but not this shy.

Gets 3/5 from me :)

Just watched "Water for Elephants"

I think Robert Pattinson is a terrible actor... at least terrible for an emotional character like this. I watched the first hour and he's shy-grinning the whole movie like he's a girl, and talks about 3-4 words... it almost ruined the whole movie. He's best suited for cold character, he makes a good sadist/ murderer character lol

What saves the movie is pretty good story, Witherspoon and Waltz's acting.

But Pattinson's shy-grinning nearly ruined it all by himself... I'm sure his character is supposed to be "shy", but not this shy.

Gets 3/5 from me :)

Yeah Waltz is great, won a lot of awards for that Inglorious Basterds role he had and I believe Witherspoon won some for Walk the Line, so that movie might have been checking out. However, I heard Pattinson and Witherspoon just have 0 chemistry on screen, I'll wait for it to hit DVD despite the decent grade.

• 2 months later...

Top 10 movies of 2011 - First Half

(list subject to change)

So now that we are in July figured it was a good time to look back through the ticket stubs and think about which movies I really enjoyed. These are the movies that will be coming out on new release DVD soon, so if you are thinking about getting a movie from Netflix or going to the store and getting movie, keep this list of mine in mind. Also you can use this post as a refrence point too, which was my top movies of summer last year. I'm kind of surprised I didn't post a top 10 of 2010, I'll be sure to get on that soon. Anyways here is my top 10 of half 1 2011!

Movies I haven't seen yet that can change the list

•  
  • Bad Teacher
  • Cars 2
  • Super 8
  • Priest
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  • Hop
  • Insidious
  • The Lincoln Lawyer
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
  • The Adjustment Bureau
  • Season of the Witch
  • Red Riding Hod
  • Arthur

10. The Mechanic

Out on DVD

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjEyMjk1NjI1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcyNjAxNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Starring Jason Stratham, the mechanic is a story of a hitman who is hired to make killings look like accidents. You'll notice in my reviews I tend to try to keep as many details I can about the movie out, so as not to give away the movie. I hate when trailers give away movies. Anyway the movie contains a few good twists and if you're a fan of that sort of thing I definitely suggest checking it out. Lack of realism is what cost this movie a higher grade. - 4.0

9. Unknown

Out on DVD

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODA4NTk3MTQwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUwMTMxNA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Think Jason Bourne meets Taken. This movie I feel confirmed Neeson as an 'A' list actor, if there was any doubt before, Neeson took another great movie and carried it by himself, again. The whole movie does a good job of keeping you guessing what is going on, and contains great plot twist. Movie suffered because in the end I just don't like what happened to certain characters, actually annoyed me after the movie and still does when I think about it. Still excellent movie for you guys to check out, especially because the things that annoyed me won't annoy you. - 4.0

8. Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon

In Theaters Now

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwOTY0MTc1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQwNjA2NQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Joking or not, I remember a lot of people saying they wouldn't go see this movie if Megan Fox was not in it. Well where as I may have agreed dropping Megan Fox from the series was a mistake, I can't deny that new girl is not just as sexy. I also cannot deny that the finale of the series stamped as a 'great' trilogy and my mind and ended on a great note with the third movie being the best of the series. A lot will disagree and a lot will agree, got to love how all interpret movies differently. Expect what is to be expected, ridiculous plot, over the top explosions and action scenes, a hot girl scene or two, and Shia LaBeouf screaming "No." - 4.5

7. Source Code

Out On DVD 7/26/2011

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0MTc3MzMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE4MjE0NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

When I first saw Source Code I had an idea that this could be the best movie I would see all year. Obviously that was a bit premature but you can see how high I was on it. Jake Gyllenhaal makes great movies, simple as that. If this actor is not on your radar yet, then you better take notice. October Sky, Donnie Darko, Day After Tomorrow, Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead, Zodiac, Brothers, hell even Bubble Boy was funny. In this movie he plays a soldier who awakes to find himself in a pod or hatch of some sort. and is experiencing flashbacks through another mans mind, things start to get trippy when Jake starts to try to alter events. - 4.5

6. X-Men: First Class

Out On DVD 9/9/2011

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg5OTMxNzk4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk1MjAwNQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Movie is over rated. It is no where near the best super hero movie of all time. Might not even be top 3 super hero movie this year! Still a great movie. the best of the X-Men series besides maybe the Wolverine origin tale. Movie is about professor X and his founding off the X-Men. Although the movie is a true sequel to the previous 4, it does contradict events that happened in the others. However, I'll overlook that and say this a must see movie for any one. - 4.5

5. Thor

Out On DVD 9/13/2011

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYxMjA5NDMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk2Mjk3NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Natalie Portman ;). This movie succeeds where Iron Man succeeded. I feel both movies did a great job of establishing a genre of comedy within the movie. Super hero movies are being repopulated so much that I feel the ones that add other elements onto their movies are the ones that succeed. Such as the batman series adding a dark thriller side to it. Thor is genuinely funny and could be the funniest movie I've seen all year. The movie is great beside that, learning about Thor son of Odin and has amazing powers. 4.5

4. Fast Five

Out On DVD October 2011

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTUxNTk5MTE0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA2NzY3NA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Do you smell what the rock is cooking? Yeah! Fast Five baby. Movie probably wasn't even as good as I'm about to say it is, but the Rock was in it, and that's all that matters. Expect a lot of what happened in the first 4 movies including a slow moving plot and a dumb love angle between Diesel and random cop character. Only throw the Rock in and some of the best car scenes they've done. Great flick :). Does anybody remember when this series was about street racing? 4.5

3. African Cats

Out on DVD 10/04/2011

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYxOTQ3MjM5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDYzMjAyNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Picture the lion king, Now take out the voice acting, the disney storyline, the ridiculous monkey, oh yeah and the animation. Now throw in Samuel L. Jackson and what do you have? You have African Cats. If you don't trust me on any movie, trust me on this one, this is a great [expletive]ing movie. Good movie for the whole family, and it's so awesome to see how animals interact with one another in an untamed world. - 5.0

2. Rango

Out on DVD

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjE5ODg1NTk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA5NTMyNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

This animation embodies every bit of master piece as animation can hold. Uniquely filmed the actors actually acted out the scenes while they voice acted to make it as realistic as possible. Not much I can say about other than just a great great film. About a chameleon who finds himself in the town of a dirt. A town that is having a tough time surviving without water and is in need of sheriff. Being a chameleon he does what he does best, adapt and survive. Funny, exciting, great movie. - 5.0

Edited by fish7718