Realignment coming?

Phightins

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/rosenthal-realignment-proposal-022510

To summarize, Ken Rosenthal seems to think that when Major League Baseball gets a new CBA in 2011, Bud Selig will push hard for divisional realignment, and perhaps even something more radical, completely realigning the leagues. Rosenthal thinks the main focus would be to split up the Yankees and Red Sox, to help with competitive balance. They may also take a team from the NL Central and put them in the AL West, which would even things at 15 teams per league. That would also mean that there would be at least one interleague series going on at all times, which will likely mean either completely abolishing the designated hitter, or forcing National League teams to add it.

Anyway, Rosenthal proposes a few possible ideas. It does sound a bit ridiculous to mess with the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry by putting them in different divisions, but it honestly does make a bit of sense. And it's not like Major League Baseball will suffer as a result. People will still go to the games and watch games on TV, nothing will change, there will just be fans complaining about Bud Selig [expletive]ing with baseball lore.

I am really not sure how I feel about this, but at least it makes for good conversation!

Not a fan of re-aligning to that extreme. Yankees and Red Sox need to be in the same division if not their games will never mean as much.

Well, separating them would really be the only point of realigning. So if they aren't separated, I don't think any realignment will happen.

But I am personally happy with it as it is. I like having 16 teams in one league and 14 in the other, which means teams only play teams in their own league except for during the interleague period. If there are 15 in each, that means at least one NL team will have to be playing an AL team at all points of the season, which would also mean that both leagues would probably have to have the same rules as far as DHs/pitchers hitting. So, as far as those aspects, I like things as they are set up now. But then again, I'm not an Orioles or Jays fan, haha. I am sure they would kill for the East to get split up.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not mind a realignment... but to separate the Red Sox from the Yankees is a definite no. Having the Twins with the Brewers, Cubs, White Sox and Tigers would be awesome. I was telling my co-worker that the rivalries would sweeten up if they were in the same division.