Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal (Pg. 14)

There has been no movement in negotiations between the Lakers and free-agent forward Lamar Odom.

Odom, who made $14.1 million last season, is asking for $10 million per year in a new contact. Los Angeles doesn't appear willing to grant his request, especially with their payroll increasing.

"There's really nothing to report," said a source.

If the Lakers don't re-sign Odom, there only spending tool is the biannual exception, an offer of a two-year contract starting at $1.99 million.

"I hope so," Kobe Bryant said of Odom returning. "He better be."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60390/20090707/lakers_odom_far_apart_in_negotiations/

Edited by The Goods

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamar and the Lakers are having a staring contest. Whoever blinks first loses. Mitch and Co. are not blinking. LO is not worth 10 million, period. There are only 3 teams out there with cap space, and 2 of the 3 have expressed zero interest in Lamar. Portland is the only team that has expressed even the least bit of interest in Lamar, and we don't even know what type of money they are willing to throw at him. The interest is also described as being lukewarm, in other words, not very interested. Portland is the only team with cap space left willing the spend, so naturally they're going through all their options. We've heard rumors about Lee, Wallace, Miller, etc. Lamar is merely one of their options they have taken a look at. I still think when it's all said and done, Lamar's stuck with us, and his BFF Ron Artest no matter what.

Guest Nissan

Odom is not going to the Blazers because LaMarcus Aldridge has beef with Odom.

Odom is coming back to the Lakers. Please don't believe everything the media says.

Odom is coming back to the Lakers. Please don't believe everything the media says.

I really hope so.

That's not going to keep a team from signing someone... They can work something out I'm sure. I think he should go with the Blazers. Rumors are that the Spurs are going to pursue him, but they don't have as much money to offer so I can't see him going there unless he wants another ring and would take less money to do so.

How far is far apart?

Lamar Odom is believed to be seeking at least a $10 million contract from the Lakers. The Lakers aren’t willing to part with that kind of dough because of salary cap and luxury tax issues. The deal the Lakers were reportedly offering was for around $7 million.

But the sides might not be as far apart as that. Ronnie Lester, assistant GM, told me Saturday he heard the Lakers are now offering “a little north of $8 million.” He also said he expects a deal early next week.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/11/can-a-deal-for-odom-be-far-off/20501/

I'm not really feeling the details of the contract though, but I need to see more before I really judge. Not really happy about paying a bench player more than 7 million. Especially since LO is known to drift, but he showed his value to us this year when Drew went down, and in the Finals.

Either way though, it's not my money so who cares. Jerry Buss always pays for a winner, and it seems like he's doing it again. He does have some relief after this year though, we have nearly 15 million in expiring contracts after this season.

The one remaining piece to the Lakers' puzzle for next season is close to falling into place, according to a report from the OC Register. Lamar Odom is said to be weighing L.A.'s latest offer of more than $8 million per to re-sign with the team, and a deal could come down as early as next week.

If the terms get worked out as expected, it's great news for the Lakers, but even better news for Odom. Because for some reason, it's not like there are any other teams that have shown much interest.

The amount of years that the team offered is unknown at this point, although Odom was initially seeking a deal worth $10 million a season. The fact that the club is already over the luxury tax threshold, and will pay a dollar for dollar penalty above and beyond whatever they give Odom, means that there would have to be some compromise on his part if he wants to remain in Los Angeles.

Right now, unless Odom wants to take a sizable pay cut and go somewhere else for a team's mid-level exception, there aren't really a lot of options. Because with that kind of asking price, very few clubs are able to make things work under the salary cap.

An $8 million per year deal is more than just for a player of Odom's skill set (we're only talking Anderson Varejao money, people), but the most likely bidder for his services -- the Portland Trailblazers, who have both the need at the position and the space under the cap -- don't seem to be the slightest bit interested.

So, while Odom will likely be a couple million short of his preferred signing point, it looks like he'll get to stay in Los Angeles, and play alongside childhood friend Ron Artest, on a stacked team looking to repeat as champions. All things considered, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/12/report-odom-lakers-getting-close/