General Baseball Thread

Phightins

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home field is a big deal this year, especially for teams like the Phillies and Cardinals (lulz...so yeah, just the Phillies I guess). The NL team with the best record this season gets to pick between a 7 day NLDS and an 8 day NLDS. An 8-day NLDS means you could get by with a 3-man rotation and nobody pitching on short rest, which would obviously be an advantage for teams like the Phillies with a great top 3 and not-so-great 4s and 5s.

Fixed

Back-to-back 163 games to find out the AL Central winner?

Don't you remember 2006? September 24, 2006, a victory by the Twins guaranteed that the wild card would come from this division, eliminating the Boston Red Sox of the American League East from wild-card contention, and also ending a three-year streak of wild-card appearances by the Red Sox. The Twins eliminated the White Sox from playoff contention on September 25 and then passed the Tigers on the last day of the regular season to give the Tigers the wild-card slot.

This year, there is no drama, but the AL Central usually has 2 or 3 teams battling for first until the last week or less.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Tonight, Billy Wagner came pretty close to striking out the side on 9 pitches (he struck out the first 2 batters on 6 pitches and threw strike 1 to the third batter before throwing a ball). This got me thinking about how much this has happened in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchers_who_have_struck_out_three_batters_on_nine_pitches

Kind of interesting. A bunch of guys you'd expect (Koufax, Pedro, Bunning, Grove, Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Randy Johnson, Rob Dibble, etc), but then you have a bunch of random guys like Brian Lawrence, Ross Ohlendorf, and Brandon Backe. Heh. Kind of obscure.

That didn't hit Jeter's hand lmaooooooooooo, hahaha dumb umpiressssss

I would normally defend the ump, commenting on how hard it is to make that call right there at that speed however the sound the ball made when it hit the bat was picked up by the cameras, the ump should have heard that and realized.

I would normally defend the ump, commenting on how hard it is to make that call right there at that speed however the sound the ball made when it hit the bat was picked up by the cameras, the ump should have heard that and realized.

I agree with this. The arrogance of umpires is at an all-time high right now.