General Baseball Thread

Phightins

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping with the Twins theme....

8 years and $184 million for Joe Mauer. Had to figure it would happen at some point.

For a catcher?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

From the Twins? They wouldn't give Santana this money but they give it to Mauer? Pohlad senior would have never allowed this.

Edited by Fish7718

For a catcher?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

From the Twins? They wouldn't give Santana this money but they give it to Mauer? Pohlad senior would have never allowed this.

Yeah it was a bit too expensive for my tastes as well, but the Twins absolutely had to lock him up. The fall out would have been worse than what it'd be in St. Louis if they let Pujols walk.

Yeah it was a bit too expensive for my tastes as well, but the Twins absolutely had to lock him up. The fall out would have been worse than what it'd be in St. Louis if they let Pujols walk.

You think so? I didn't know he was that popular to them. Pujols's deal is just going to be insane I'm thing like 10 years 300 million.

I like Mauer's deal.. he certainly deserved the money, and I'm happy for him. Mauer now > Santana in his prime IMO.

Totally disagree but thats not even the argument. The argument is if Mauer is the 2nd best player in the majors. Answer no? Even if he was the 2nd best player he is no deserving of 23 million over 8 years that just insane for a catcher. Catchers break down faster than position players and who know's how long Mauer can handle it, he's already had a few injuries. You are also putting your highest paid player out there in the easiest position to get injured 4-5 times every week.

I agree with Fish to a certain degree. There is a very good chance the Twins will regret this contract in 4-5 seasons. But I also stand by what I said earlier. They absolutely had to get him resigned and I think they basically gave him a blank check to get it done.

Some of you guys are forgetting that Mauer was born and raised in Saint Paul and that everyone here loves him (no homo.. well, no homo from me at least). Also, I would not be surprised if they moved him to a different position... possibly 3B. That's our biggest concern right now. Mauer has the arm strength and defense to play there.

As for Nathan's surgery.. It sucks, but I know that the Twins can replace him and hopefully the new closer(s) will do a better job in the post-season.. Sorry, Nathan.

Edited by Lone Wolf

I just remembered Teixera got like the same deal, idk discount to me would be like 8 years 160 mil or i could even imagine 10 years 200 mill id still find it insane but i could see it, 8 years 184 is just wowow

Yankees would have offered him like 25 years 400 million.

Not with Montero in the minors. That's the main reason I don't think he would have got that type of money the Red Sox and the Yankees both have good situations when it comes to catcher.

Not with Montero in the minors. That's the main reason I don't think he would have got that type of money the Red Sox and the Yankees both have good situations when it comes to catcher.

I think somebody would have.

• 2 weeks later...