Hedo Turkoglu's Commitment

Now this is what you absolutely love to see from your $50M investment.

Turkoglu missed Friday’s heartbreaker to Denver because of a stomach ailment, which first surfaced at halftime of last Wednesday’s loss to Utah.

It was later discovered that Turkoglu spent Friday night out on the town.

The team became aware of the situation following e-mails that were allegedly sent to different club officials.

The decision to not play Turkoglu clearly stems from Friday’s no-show against the Nuggets.

Raptors head coach Jay Triano said it was a coaching decision not to play Turkoglu, even though he was available.

“He was active. It was a coaching decision to not play him,’’ Triano said.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/03/28/13389321.html

I actually find it funny how little Turkoglu cares after getting his big pay day this summer. He came to training camp in terrible shape (which he is still in might I add), has looked absolutely disinterested all season long, offers very little to the team in terms of productivity (at least in regards to what they need/expect from him) and now this.

And the greatest thing of all? The Raptors are stuck with him for the next 5 years. Yay!

Anyone who knows a thing or two about basketball could have seen that this was inevitably going to turn out to be a bad free agent signing. First and probably most importantly, there should be a rule against teams offering players over the age of 30 contracts worth upwards of 10 million dollars a season. And that's exactly what Toronto has done. They offered a guy 10 million dollars a season until the age of 36. 36. What was the thought process behind that?

The fact that his numbers have dwindled to 8/5 and 3 during March is no surprise to me whatsoever. That's what you get when you sign a 30 year old to a huge contract - a massive, massive underachieving effort.

Anyone who knows a thing or two about basketball could have seen that this was inevitably going to turn out to be a bad free agent signing. First and probably most importantly, there should be a rule against teams offering players over the age of 30 contracts worth upwards of 10 million dollars a season. And that's exactly what Toronto has done. They offered a guy 10 million dollars a season until the age of 36. 36. What was the thought process behind that?

The fact that his numbers have dwindled to 8/5 and 3 during March is no surprise to me whatsoever. That's what you get when you sign a 30 year old to a huge contract - a massive, massive underachieving effort.

Problem is Toronto HAS to pay him that much. If it's the same elsewhere, he's going elsewhere IMO.

His contract probably has a huge buyout which is why you won't see that happen. Nobody's gonna want to take on that deal and that apparent attitude.

Agree with everything you said. There was no reason to offer him that much because clearly he wasn't worth it.

• Owner

I won't lie, I was fooled. Turkoglu played well with Orlando, handled the ball well and was a part of why they were in the Finals last season.

But the Magic must have read his body language outside of those games, knowing he was due for a huge contract and, thus, a huge fall after receiving one.

A player doesn't normally decline this quickly, and he hasn't been injured beyond belief, so you know it's the attitude. Whether it has anything to do with going from a contender to a struggling playoff team...I don't know, but I think it has a lot to do with getting paid, getting locked up, and getting the opportunity to do nothing until his contract runs out.

Honestly, this is all on Toronto... Terkoglu never should have seen half of his current contract from any team! He may have one of the worst contracts in the NBA! His contract is worse than Brand+Maggette's. Hedo is wack, always has been overrated IMO. He had 2 solid years in Orlando where he scored over 14 points a game... what a bum signing by the Raptors.

Michael Grange most recent article had some great comments on Turkoglu that I thought I would post here. The entire article was a great read but I'll just highlight the Turkoglu portions of it.

Treated with velvet gloves by management to start the season and allowed to sit most of training camp and six of eight exhibition games, Turkoglu was seemingly empowered to embrace what appears to be a broad perfectionist streak, which is to say, if he don’t feel perfect, he don’t play, or practice.

This was not a deal-breaking issue (and oh how Bryan Colangelo probably wishes it could be) until the “Turkoflu” hit last Wednesday.

It’s the virus that keeps on giving.

Hedo quit – I mean, stopped playing – at halftime of the Utah Jazz game last Wednesday, didn’t practice Thursday, met with team doctors Friday, who apparently agreed he should be kept out the game against Denver. He also didn’t make it through practice Saturday.

Now, sick is sick, though four days off for an upset stomach seems like a stretch for an elite athlete paid absolutely enormous amounts of money to be in the peak of health and fitness at all times. And as I wrote last week, sick or not, Turkoglu has a credibility problem. By not giving the impression that he’s living or dying with every win or loss, or even suggesting he notices, he’s given license to people to go: “Ya right” whenever he’s sick or hurt or whatever.

Which makes it all too perfect that Friday night Turk is feeling a bit peckish, and heads out to Yorkville for a bite to eat after the Raptors get what heart they have broken by the Denver Nuggets, only to be seen by some fans who wonder why someone too sick to work is out for dinner, and respectfully inquire about the issue, raising the question through some media and team management.

Turkoglu? He should be ashamed of himself. He’s taken the money but at no point has he given the impression he’s determined to prove he’s worth it.

I was talking to him before the game last night and it took about 30 seconds before he began complaining about his role and the system.

And the best one of them all...

Enough’s enough, apparently. And Turkoglu gets fined and benched for the Raptors collapse in Miami last night.

And for what it’s worth, when I asked him about it before the game, Turkoglu denied he was out and then started complaining about how he’s been getting targeted for this stuff all year.

Sigh. Where do you start with this? Seriously.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/from-deep/no-hope-for-the-raptors-none/article1515947/

This move could quite possibly be the worst move in Raptors franchise history. Yes, worse than drafting Rafael Araujo over Andre Iguodala and worse than trading Carter away for scrubs. The guy clearly doesn't give two [expletive]s about playing basketball anymore.

Honestly, I'd rather the Raptors just pay him his money and send his [expletive] back to Turkey. Just get him away from this team.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The problem is there is no retribution for his (or any Raptor for that matter) actions. Management is scared to deal with any of the issues on the team, it is the same with how Bargnani is handled like a child and doesn't get benched for his lack of effort on D.

It would be nice to see anyone who isn't giving 100% get the bench, we have the depth to replace guys who don't want to be on the floor. Sonny Weems can provide the same stuff Hedo has this year, nice to see his [expletive] finally on the pine. Would be nice if Bargs got sat down once in a while for not doing anything on our side of the floor.