Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to Disabled Player Exception

Dash

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets used the NBA Disabled Player Exception to sign free agent forward Trevor Ariza, according to general manager Daryl Morey.

The NBA granted the Disabled Player Exception based on the fact that Yao Ming is not expected to play next season because of his broken left foot.

"As a course of business to give us maximum flexibility, we applied for an injury exception for Yao and it was granted by the league," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday. "That will allow us to use the Mid-Level Exception to improve the Rockets roster going forward."

Read the rest here

Finally its a done deal. We still have to the MLE, wonder who we're targeting now.

Huh, so I'm not familiar with the DPE, what does that do? It makes it sound like it lets them use MLE to sign someone else, but they already would have been able to if I'm not mistaken.

Its pretty complicated but the NBA sometimes might hand out a DPE to a team with plenty of injuries or a player with a season ending injury. There is a FAQ about it in Clutchfans.

Link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow they get a DPE for that? .. What about other players that missed prety much whole seasons like Amare or RJ? .. that's whack .. I bet Yao comes back half way through season ..

You have to apply for it to be eligible for it.

And the Phoenix Suns did apply for one, and received it; they used the money on Raja Bell.

Also, two seasons ago, the Magic got one for Tonie Battie. Don't remember exactly who we signed.

I don't remember Jefferson missing a season, so I'll assume there's another RJ.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn

You have to apply for it to be eligible for it.

And the Phoenix Suns did apply for one, and received it; they used the money on Raja Bell.

Also, two seasons ago, the Magic got one for Tonie Battie. Don't remember exactly who we signed.

I don't remember Jefferson missing a season, so I'll assume there's another RJ.

Well he didn't really miss a season, only played 30 or so games as i recall due to his ankle surgery..

Still would have been nice ..