2010 MLB Payrolls / 2009 MLB Revnue / 2010 percentage of revenue spent on players

fish7718

2010 MLB Payrolls

Team Total payroll

New York Yankees $ 206,333,389

Boston Red Sox $ 162,447,333

Chicago Cubs $ 146,609,000

Philadelphia Phillies $ 141,928,379

New York Mets $ 134,422,942

Detroit Tigers $ 122,864,928

Chicago White Sox $ 105,530,000

Los Angeles Angels $ 104,963,866

San Francisco Giants $ 98,641,333

Minnesota Twins $ 97,559,166

Los Angeles Dodgers $ 95,358,016

St. Louis Cardinals $ 93,540,751

Houston Astros $ 92,355,500

Seattle Mariners $ 86,510,000

Atlanta Braves $ 84,423,666

Colorado Rockies $ 84,227,000

Baltimore Orioles $ 81,612,500

Milwaukee Brewers $ 81,108,278

Tampa Bay Rays $ 71,923,471

Cincinnati Reds $ 71,761,542

Kansas City Royals $ 71,405,210

Toronto Blue Jays $ 62,234,000

Washington Nationals $ 61,400,000

Cleveland Indians $ 61,203,966

Arizona Diamondbacks $ 60,718,166

Florida Marlins $ 57,034,719

Texas Rangers $ 55,250,544

Oakland Athletics $ 51,654,900

San Diego Padres $ 37,799,300

Pittsburgh Pirates $ 34,943,000

Source

2009 Team Revenue

Yankees - 441,000,000

Mets - 268,000,000

Red Sox - 266,000,000

Dodgers - 247,000,000

Cubs - 246,000,000

Phillies - 233,000,000

Angels - 217,000,000

Giants - 201,000,000

Cardinals - 195,000,000

White Sox - 194,000,000

Mariners - 191,000,000

Astros - 189,000,000

Braves - 188,000,000

Tigers - 188,000,000

Nationals - 184,000,000

Rockies - 183,000,000

Rangers - 180,000,000

Diamondbacks - 172,000,000

Orioles - 171,000,000

Brewers - 171,000,000

Indians - 170,000,000

Reds - 166,000,000

Blue Jays - 163,000,000

Twins - 162,000,000

Padres - 157,000,000

Rays - 156,000,000

Royals - 155,000,000

Athletics - 155,000,000

Pirates - 145,000,000

Marlins - 144,000,000

Source

Percentage of Revenue spent on players (I took the first number and divided it by the second ;))

Detroit Tigers - 65.3%

Philadelphia Phillies - 63.1%

Minnesota Twins - 60.2%

Boston Red Sox - 60%

Chicago Cubs - 59.6%

Chicago White Sox - 54.4%

New York Mets - 50.2%

San Francisco Giants - 49.1%

Houston Astros - 48.9%

Los Angeles Angels - 48.4%

St. Louis Cardinals - 48%

Baltimore Orioles - 47.7%

Milwaukee Brewers - 47.4%

New York Yankees - 46.8%

Tampa Bay Rays - 46.1%

Kansas City Royals - 46.1%

Colorado Rockies - 46%

Seattle Mariners - 45.3%

Atlanta Braves - 44.9%

Cincinnati Reds - 43.2%

Florida Marlins - 39.6%

Los Angeles Dodgers - 38.6%

Toronto Blue Jays - 38.2%

Cleveland Indians - 36%

Arizona Diamondbacks - 35.3%

Washington Nationals - 33.4%

Oakland Athletics - 33.3%

Texas Rangers - 30.7%

Pittsburgh Pirates - 24.09%

San Diego Padres - 24.07%

And it is absolutely amazing to me that some numbskulls still call the Phillies ownership "cheap".

they used to be years ago, but over the past couple years the payroll has gone up like crazy

but i love to see the phillies up there is the payroll. with no salary cap, why not (note, i never want to phillies to be anything like the yankees and just buy guys off of free agency). as long as the phils keep a good team in philly then they will be near the top for revenue, so why not spend

they used to be years ago, but over the past couple years the payroll has gone up like crazy

Well, that's what a new stadium will do...

But, if you tune into 610 WIP there are still people [expletive]ing that they are cheap. It escalated after the Cliff Lee trade.

Well, that's what a new stadium will do...

exactly. no one wanted to take their kids to the vet to see a baseball game. it made a huge difference in the direction of the team

But, if you tune into 610 WIP there are still people [expletive]ing that they are cheap. It escalated after the Cliff Lee trade.

i hate when people talk about that. but its never gonna end, they would say the phillies were cheap if they had the yankees payroll

exactly. no one wanted to take their kids to the vet to see a baseball game. it made a huge difference in the direction of the team

I don't think it was that exactly. Sure, in the first few years of a new park, you get the casual fans who show up just to see the new stadium. But with a new stadium comes tons of companies who want to get their name incorporated with it somehow. Of course the deal with Citizens Bank for naming rights was the biggest change from the Vet. But just sponsorship deals in general skyrocketed. Of course, it wound up being perfect timing. The new stadium opened just as the team was getting relevant again. But if they still played at the Vet and were as good as they are now, I'm sure fans would still be showing up.

They are, I guarantee the Phillies go into strict salary cutting mode after this year. The fact that they refuse to give a pitcher a 4 year deal shows their cheapness.

Well, according to your numbers, they are 4th in payroll and 2nd in revenue spent. Tell me how this adds up to "cheap". Maybe they can relocate to New York and get their own TV network and dish out dumb contracts left and right too... maybe then they can shed that "cheap" label.

Well, according to your numbers, they are 4th in payroll and 2nd in revenue spent. Tell me how this adds up to "cheap". Maybe they can relocate to New York and get their own TV network and dish out dumb contracts left and right too... maybe then they can shed that "cheap" label.

exactly. smart and cheap are two different things

You better be talking about the Mets :angry:

You better be talking about the Mets :angry:

I was.

Also, I'd like to know why Fish is guaranteeing that the Phillies are going into "strict salary cutting mode" this offseason, seeing as virtually every game is sold out this season and they are one of only a handful of teams that made a nice profit last year. Jayson Werth probably won't be back, but that's because he is going to get paid like an elite outfielder and the Phillies are currently stretched to their payroll limit (as you can actually see by those numbers you supplied us with). So he may be gone, but the payroll certainly isn't going to be dropping.

Edited by Phightins

I was.

Also, I'd like to know why Fish is guaranteeing that the Phillies are going into "strict salary cutting mode" this offseason, seeing as virtually every game is sold out this season and they are one of only a handful of teams that made a nice profit last year. Jayson Werth probably won't be back, but that's because he is going to get paid like an elite outfielder and the Phillies are currently stretched to their payroll limit (as you can actually see by those numbers you supplied us with). So he may be gone, but the payroll certainly isn't going to be dropping.

plus brown hopefully ready to play in the mlb

plus brown hopefully ready to play in the mlb

If that's the route they take (subbing Brown for Werth next year), other changes are going to have to be made. The lineup is incredibly lefty heavy as it is, and adding in another lefty while losing the only right handed bat they have that's capable of hitting in the middle of the lineup is not going to work. It is going to be an interesting winter to say the least.

Sorry for sidetracking. Now back to arguing with Fish...

I was.

Oh stop taking everything so harshly, I'd love to hear all these horrible contracts the Mets give out. If you mention 2001 I'll just laugh and leave this thread. Fact of the matter is Philly is new to spending the dough, welcome the big market boys but I doubt you are here for long. I wouldn't be surprised with the way that franchise is run if Howard and Werth are both gone next year and they don't pick up anyone in that class. That being said the only reason the phillies have such a high pay roll is because of their bad contracts to Moyer, Romero, Lidge, and Madson and etc. [expletive] you got one of the worst pens in the NL and it's making like the most money :lol:. Under 115 next year, you heard it here first.

I'll respond to your next post too. Oliver Perez is not a bad signing he was injured last year and I still yet to believe he can't live up to money. JJ Putz was acquired in a trade. Any other bad signings? Aside from the contracts under 3 million of course.

Oliver Perez is not a bad signing he was injured last year and I still yet to believe he can't live up to money.

Does this mean the Yankees get a pass on Carl Pavano? He was injured too.

Also, I'm starting to think you're the biggest homer on the forum. Just IMO.

Does this mean the Yankees get a pass on Carl Pavano? He was injured too.

Also, I'm starting to think you're the biggest homer on the forum. Just IMO.

The first year of Carl Pavano's deal, yes they do. You can think whatever you want I can honestly careless. Oliver still has 2 years to prove hes worth the money.

Oh stop taking everything so harshly, I'd love to hear all these horrible contracts the Mets give out. If you mention 2001 I'll just laugh and leave this thread. Fact of the matter is Philly is new to spending the dough, welcome the big market boys but I doubt you are here for long. I wouldn't be surprised with the way that franchise is run if Howard and Werth are both gone next year and they don't pick up anyone in that class. That being said the only reason the phillies have such a high pay roll is because of their bad contracts to Moyer, Romero, Lidge, and Madson and etc. [expletive] you got one of the worst pens in the NL and it's making like the most money :lol:. Under 115 next year, you heard it here first.

I'll respond to your next post too. Oliver Perez is not a bad signing he was injured last year and I still yet to believe he can't live up to money. JJ Putz was acquired in a trade. Any other bad signings? Aside from the contracts under 3 million of course.

All I know is this. The Mets have the 5th highest payroll in Major League Baseball, yet they are a piece of [expletive]. Something can't be going right, eh? And since you are so confident that Oliver Perez is a good signing, then you have to play that same card with the Phillies bullpen. Talk to me in 3 months about them. When Brad Lidge pitches healthy in a game for the first time since 2008 (basically JC Romero as well), if he still sucks then perhaps you will have a point.

Also...

With the Mets, I don't think the issue is so much the signings they've made, but the ones they haven't. They have been great at making "the big splash" over the past couple years (Johan Santana, Francisco Rodriguez, Jason Bay, etc). Sure, those are great ways to sell tickets I guess, but I think we both know that you don't win in MLB without depth. A perfect example is this past winter. Everyone knows what the Mets needs were, yet essentially all they did was overpay for Jason Bay. As a Mets fan I'd expect a bit more. They play in the biggest sports market in the world, have their own TV Network, a new stadium, and have an already large payroll with plenty of room for expansion. The New York Mets should not be in the situation they are in now.

Edited by Phightins

Also...

With the Mets, I don't think the issue is so much the signings they've made, but the ones they haven't. They have been great at making "the big splash" over the past couple years (Johan Santana, Francisco Rodriguez, Jason Bay, etc). Sure, those are great ways to sell tickets I guess, but I think we both know that you don't win in MLB without depth. A perfect example is this past winter. Everyone knows what the Mets needs were, yet essentially all they did was overpay for Jason Bay. As a Mets fan I'd expect a bit more. They play in the biggest sports market in the world, have their own TV Network, a new stadium, and have an already large payroll with plenty of room for expansion. The New York Mets should not be in the situation they are in now.

Agreed but it has nothing to do with giving out bad contracts, your confusing us with the team from the Bronx. We just haven't filled up a roster yet. I think if this team shows it can compete for a division we will make moves, I hope if not I think Omar is just waiting for next offseason to really hit the market.

All I know is this. The Mets have the 5th highest payroll in Major League Baseball, yet they are a piece of [expletive]. Something can't be going right, eh? And since you are so confident that Oliver Perez is a good signing, then you have to play that same card with the Phillies bullpen. Talk to me in 3 months about them. When Brad Lidge pitches healthy in a game for the first time since 2008 (basically JC Romero as well), if he still sucks then perhaps you will have a point.

Fair enough. :)

Agreed but it has nothing to do with giving out bad contracts, your confusing us with the team from the Bronx. We just haven't filled up a roster yet. I think if this team shows it can compete for a division we will make moves, I hope if not I think Omar is just waiting for next offseason to really hit the market.

Yeah the Yankees totally suck because they dole out horrendous contracts. <_<

Blind defense of the Mets will get you nothing but scoffed at.

Yeah the Yankees totally suck because they dole out horrendous contracts. <_<

Blind defense of the Mets will get you nothing but scoffed at.

Did I ever say the Yankees suck? I'm just stating the truth the Yankees giving 4 year deals to 36 year old catchers and 8-10 year deals to 31 yr old position players, no matter how good the players are they are they are bad deals.

Did I ever say the Yankees suck? I'm just stating the truth the Yankees giving 4 year deals to 36 year old catchers and 8-10 year deals to 31 yr old position players, no matter how good the players are they are they are bad deals.

That's all you can come up with? Hating on Posada and Rodriguez deals? Really? You have honestly got to be kidding me. If you said Pavano, I'd give that to you. But your two focal points are two of the biggest cogs of the team and two guys who were absolute pivotal points of a championship last year? GTFO.