NHL Playoffs Thread

Check my Stats

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Laperriere will not need surgery after taking a slap shot to the face that required between 60-70 stitches over his right eye during the Philadelphia Flyers' series-clinching Game 5 against the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Laperriere should be ready for his team's Eastern Conference Semifinal series later this week.

Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren told reporters that Laperriere suffered a non-displaced fracture of the orbital bone that didn't require surgery.

"I think hell would freeze over before he doesn't play," Holmgren said. Holmgren went on to say that Laperriere looked "a lot better (Saturday than on Friday) -- other than (his eye) being very colorful."

The Flyers were holding a three-goal lead and in the midst of killing a Devils' power-play in the third period when Laperriere decided to step in front of a slap shot by defenseman Paul Martin. By the time he realized he had slid too early, the puck slammed into his forehead, opening up his face to the point where a trail of blood followed him as he skated blindly on the ice before getting medical attention.

"When I grabbed (athletic trainer) Jimmy (McCrossin), I asked him if my eye was still there," Laperriere told reporters after taking between 60-70 stitches along his right eyebrow. "He said 'Yeah, there's just so much blood.' I was a little bit in panic mode, I couldn't see out of my right eye. It's one thing to say it, but when you don't see anything, you kind of panic. But after laying on the medical table for two minutes once I got inside, I started to see shadows and then everything came back to normal."

It marked the second time in six months that Laperriere had taken a shot to the face. It was during a penalty-killing situation in November against the Buffalo Sabres that a Jason Pominville slap shot to the mouth resulted in 70 stitches and seven lost teeth. It would be one of 74 blocks on the season for Laperriere.

He blocked six shots in five playoff games against the Devils.

Can't believe I am rooting hardcore for the Canadiens. But yes, I certainly am tonight, and I will be rooting for them even harder in the next round if they win tonight.

Devils lost. Now caps lost. This is really good for Pens but we still gotta get on ice and play hard and not think Montreal is lucky. I think Pens can get back in the finals since we wont be seeing the caps or devils because they gave us a lot of trouble all year but you never know what could happen