Did anyone expect the Suns to go this far?

Sun Tzu

Be honest, did any of you guys believe the Suns could sweep the Spurs and make it to the WCF?

I didn't think we would have swept them in 4 games but I definitely had a gut feeling that we could advance to the Western Conference Finals.

I did not think they would make it past the first round. I truly felt that we would be able to get the series despite having a gimpy Roy play. Though, I saw the Spurs winning in 6, not being swept in 4. :(

Maybe if I keep doubting the Suns, they'll make it to the finals.

They surprised me, I'll admit it.

If you look at their team, they have the whole package. A great PG, who is undoubtedly top 3 in the NBA in his position. A great wing scorer that is averaging 22 ppg in the playoffs (and shooting an incredible 52% from three). A great glue guy in Grant Hill, who is an underrated scorer and defender. A great post player in Amar'e Stoudemire, who obviously compliments Nash's game. And lastly, a great bench with Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Frye, and Amundson all stepping up when they are needed.

All they are missing is that defensive anchor, who would be Robin Lopez I suppose. He needs to be healthy if they hope to defeat the Lakers.

Edited by Poe

Hopefully Lopez could make a return in Game 1 against the Lakers. He was suppose to be playing in the Spurs series but I guess he didn't get the chance to make a return. Lopez needs to come back strong so that we have a chance to defend Bynum and Gasol.

• Owner

Just putting it out there: they are 18-4 since the all-star break, on a nine-game win streak (10 when they beat Detroit tonight), and they proved they can beat us once already. Granted we beat them three times, they took us out by 15 points despite a 34-point, seven board, seven assist game by Kobe, and they did it with the Nash/Amare pick and roll, and using Jared Dudley as the second option out of it.

So start rooting for the Suns for the rest of the season, so they grab the 2nd or 3rd seed, and maybe another team (Dallas, Utah, Denver...haha) will topple them in the second round, because as much trouble as we've had with the pick and roll, the problems we have defending both Nash and Amare, and the bad things that happen when Channing Frye brings Bynum out to the three, we would rather not go seven games with them.

I have a feeling we'll be playing them in the WCF, though.

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36538-keep-an-eye-out-for-the-suns/page__view__findpost__p__655735

AND...

Yeah, no big deal, we'll go 16-0 in the playoffs because we are the baddest team in the history of the NBA.

I'd rather be realistic about other NBA teams, than to be completely ignorant to their abilities. I'll be any news channel, because they cover everything. You can continue to watch 82 purple and gold games, and I'll watch much more than that.

I also find it funny when someone brings up our record against Phoenix this year, but in another topic, they talk about how we lost to Orlando twice in the regular season last year, but "the regular season means nothing." LOL...don't stumble on your own words.

Phoenix will be waiting for us in the WCF. I just hope we are fully healthy by then.

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36538-keep-an-eye-out-for-the-suns/page__view__findpost__p__656567

Of course, at ONE point, I started to think that the Mavericks could make it to the WCF...but then, chemistry problems hit again, and I changed my mind.

The Suns definitely will need Robin Lopez for the Lakers. Gasol and Bynum will be damn hard to stop since Amare plays "I don't want to get put on a poster" defense. LaMarcus plays that type of defense too, annoys the crap out of me.

I was out of town for games 3 and 4, when I came back I went on the internet expecting a 2-2, 3-1 would already have been great. Then I see 4-0. Never been this happy with the Suns.

I think it's not that weird us being in the WCF (we were still a 3rd seed) it's just the sweep which makes it so shocking. Well deserved though, even Nash playing with one eye is unstoppable.

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36538-keep-an-eye-out-for-the-suns/page__view__findpost__p__655735

AND...

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36538-keep-an-eye-out-for-the-suns/page__view__findpost__p__656567

Of course, at ONE point, I started to think that the Mavericks could make it to the WCF...but then, chemistry problems hit again, and I changed my mind.

The predictions in the first post were pretty spot on :lol: 2nd or 3rd spot and playing us in the WCF.

Yeah they definitely surprised me. What a team.

1. Steve Nash plays one of his best seasons

2. Amare decided to play like he gave a crap after All Star

3. Jared Dudley emerged as a trade throw in, stepping up, one of the top 3 pt shooters and plays great defense all season

4. Channing Frye tripling-quadrupling his three pt makes THIS SEASON ALONE over his pre-Suns career in about 4-5 years?

5. Goran Dragic... mark my words... this kid will be an All Star in 2-3 years. I know there's CP3, Deron, Nash himself, Billups, but he will get in. He knows how to run a team.

6. Guys like Louis Admunson and Grant Hill providing the energy every game this team badly needs

7. Alvin Gentry steps up and coaches like he never has before... I always thought he's a crappy coach, but he proved me wrong. The team definitely listens to him... he has that consistent demeanor that once the team is comfortable with, they start buying in whatever he says.

They basically have 6-7 different guys stepped up this season. But I really think the turnaround started when Amare started to play like he cared. Then guys started to believe, and as they racked more wins the belief grew stronger. I think they fed off each other's energy and contribution. I also believe Dudley is an important guy for the team. His shooting and more importantly DEFENSE rubbed off the rest of his teammates... and they're starting to play defense here and there, which is a reason why I like this team (at least when my Nuggies are idle).

BEAT LA! :) I hope it's a great series... after the Utah Jazz experience, I find myself kind of neutral about the whole Lakers thing and I just hope we're treated to a great series. So... GO SUNS!!!

Haha you happy we avenged Nuggets by sweeping the Jazz? :P

Yeah nothing irates me more than flopping. And name me a team fanbase when you (as opposing team fan) go over to their team forum site (after the series is over and they won mind you) and initially wanting to congratulate them for winning the series and hope they can beat the Lakers... then they said things like (basically) "we have to shove this to Nuggies fans cuz all season long they thought they're better than us... this loss says their 2008-09 WCF season was a fluke" and all of them agreed. Not one says "to be fair Denver is missing George Karl"... not one.

And then the funniest is "I hate J.R. Smith. The wrong person died in the car accident." Only Jazz fans can be that crazy.

I only said to them that when they get swept by the Lakers, I will come back to that thread and troll there. It will say a lot that their own second round accomplishment was a fluke... It's not "Utah is a much better team than Denver", but "Denver is missing its head coach cmon". If they wanna say our 2008-09 WCF season was a fluke, this is an even bigger fluke for them. For once, Lakers did me a favor by proving my point :) But still...

GO SUNS!