Raptors-Sixers Talking Trade?

I found this on Real GM. It was posted by a Sixers fan who is supposedly very reliable. According to the Real GM Raptors and Sixers boards, he is the best Insider on Real GM and has called a lot of moves that the Sixers have made before they made them.

Anyways, this is what he posted:

Ok Ford was half right in the Indiana and Toronto talks. We have talked to both but neither conversation pertains to the #2 pick. In case you didn’t know we are taking Turner

We have inquired about the 10th pick(Indiana) and the 13th pick(Toronto).

Talks with Indiana center around Jeff Foster and the 10 pick for Lou and Thad. I don’t know who the target is at 10. Maybe they don’t even know yet. Could be Aldrich I guess.

Talks with Toronto center around Lou and Jack. Toronto has interest in Thad but needs to move Hedo first who we apparently do not want. One version I heard was Lou and Thad for Jack, Belinelli and #13. Again…I do not know who the big guy is we are targeting. I got the feeling that moving to 10-15 was going to be a lot easier than moving up to 5-9 range.

So maybe Lou is on the block or a lot more available than I previously thought.

Its all just talk right now….lots of stuff floating around..we will see what sticks in a few weeks.

Louis Williams and Thaddeous Young for Jarrett Jack, Marco Belinelli and 13th pick?

Not terrible, I guess, as Williams is only 24 an Thad is only 22, and he is somewhat stuck out of position in Philly, but I don't really know how thrilled I would be with moving Jack, Belinelli and the 13th for these two.

Thad is probably going to be better than anybody the Raptors could get at 13, or at the very least, equal to what we could get at 13, and he is still young, so I don't have a problem with that portion of the deal. However, I don't really know about Jack for Williams.

Thoughts on this potential rumor?

I'm not sure what to think to be honest. I probably wouldn't do the trade but I don't think I would be furious, like I have been on quite a few Colangelo moves, if the trade went down.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Not a bad trade, really, but I'm not sure the direction the Raptors are going with it. It looks like they would just be throwing a lot of good players into a pile, then drawing up an offense and crossing their fingers.

I guess it would make more sense if they did do the Bosh/Bynum deal along with it, because it gives Toronto a true post presence down low, and opens up everything for those versatile players (Young, Williams, Bargnani), but otherwise, it's all a big question mark for me.

Not a bad trade, really, but I'm not sure the direction the Raptors are going with it. It looks like they would just be throwing a lot of good players into a pile, then drawing up an offense and crossing their fingers.

I guess it would make more sense if they did do the Bosh/Bynum deal along with it, because it gives Toronto a true post presence down low, and opens up everything for those versatile players (Young, Williams, Bargnani), but otherwise, it's all a big question mark for me.

I think Jose starts at PG for us. Bynum-Bargs-Thad-Demar-Jose(Lou) is a starting 5 I would be happy with, even though we would probably only win 30 games at most, that is a lot of solid young talent on one team.

EDIT: Ya I agree, it makes most sense if we are getting Bynum.

Edited by travesy3

My head has exploded, already

I make this trade instantly, trade Hedo for whatever you can get, get Bynum for Bosh and we are looking at a nice young team. if we keep Hedo, Lou is the perfect PG to play alongside him.

Bynum-Bargs-Thad-Demar-Jose/Lou FTW!

Kind of off topic, but have the three of us ever completely agreed on the same thing before? :lol:

I guess I don't like Lou Williams as much as the rest of the people in this thread and think that there really isn't much of a difference between him and Jack, which is why I am not completely stoked on this trade. If the Raptors were to trade Jack, who I think has pretty good value around the league based on his play and the contract he is on, I would want to see the Raptors get an improvement somewhere. I guess considering the entire deal that actually does occur here as Young would be a nice upgrade at the 3 and allow Weems to come off of the bench, which is a role that he should get accustomed to.

Anyways, if the deal was Belinelli + 13 for Young, I would be jumping for joy right now, but that is probably too good to be true.

I guess I'm basically neutral on this trade. Won't be upset if it happens but I won't be upset if it doesn't happen either.

I do have to admit that the Raptors would be a pretty fun team to watch next season if this trade were to happen. Thad, DeRozan, Weems, Williams, Bargnani (I think he is pretty fun to watch when he is on), and possibily Amir Johnson and Andrew Bynum, would definitely be an exciting young team to watch. Much better than the soft jump shooters that we have been stuck with watching since Colangelo took over.

EDIT: One thing that I forgot to mention about this trade that makes me a bit hesitant is that Young's contract is up after the season. He will be restricted so the Raptors can match anything offered to him, but it would suck if somebody overpaid for him and he winded up leaving after only one year or if the Raptors overpaid to keep him.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I think the difference between me and a lot of people against the deal, is my faith in BC, and the Raptors staff, to draft and develop a player in the mid-first round, have we ever done it before? I doubt we do it now, I would rather just get two established NBA players who are both no older than 22 and probably still have a ways to go before they are complete players.

I like Jarret Jack, but he is a fringe starter in the NBA, Thad Young has always been a guy I really liked, Lou is like 4 years younger than Jack and we aren't going anywhere right now in terms of competing, so we might as well get younger.

I just want Thad, if it costs us Jack then so be it, Jack would be great to keep if we are keeping Bosh and trying to win next year, but since we probably aren't, we might as well re-tool and get considerably younger, Thad is like as young as any rookie we would pick anyways. I am neutral on Lou, he isn't really a PG but he really isn't that much worse than Jack is he? He looks like a gunner but playing in an actual offense (that Sixers team was a mess last year) surely he would be a bit better. I imagine he would take Jose's starting spot within 20 games, he was beasting last year before AI came in IIRC.

I like this deal a lot, especially if we are getting Bynum.... but what is a more valuable asset? A 27 year old solid PG in Jack, or a 22 year old PG in Lou who has shown some solid promise offensively, and a 21 year old Thad who in his sophomore season looked poised to become a 20 point player one day?

Would there be anyone worthwhile at thirteen? Both players are expendable, but not for throwaways. Not Thad at least.

I think the Sixers want another big man.

Cole Aldrich or Ed Davis maybe?

Would there be anyone worthwhile at thirteen? Both players are expendable, but not for throwaways. Not Thad at least.

I wouldn't call Jarrett Jack a throwaway considering it is completely valid to think he is the better player than Louis Williams. They are basically equal all things considered.

Belinelli has talent, but he is so damn inconsistent and streaky that it is hard to actually give him any sort of consistent burn without him being detrimental to the team, so he could be considered a throwaway. At least he is expiring at the end of the season so if he doesn't do anything to impress the Sixers, they can just send him off at the end of the year.

I would imagine that if such a trade were to go down, it would go down right after the Raptors pick (they technically can't trade the pick because of them owing Miami a 1st, but they can draft a player and then trade him to the Sixers). If somebody like Cole Aldrich (I imagine the Sixers would want a big man) falls to the 13th pick then I could see the Raptors drafting him and then flipping him to the Sixers right after.

I think if a trade does happen, it will be entirely dependent on if somebody that the Sixers are after falls to 13.

I wouldn't call Jarrett Jack a throwaway considering it is completely valid to think he is the better player than Louis Williams. They are basically equal all things considered.

The problem with calling it a wash is that Lou doesn't have much value himself either. I am indeed a fan of Jack (love his defense), but it's just not enough to convince me that a trade in where Thad gets swapped is worth it.

And yes that's a valid statement. In fact, I very much prefer Jack to Lou.

I would imagine that if such a trade were to go down, it would go down right after the Raptors pick (they technically can't trade the pick because of them owing Miami a 1st, but they can draft a player and then trade him to the Sixers). If somebody like Cole Aldrich (I imagine the Sixers would want a big man) falls to the 13th pick then I could see the Raptors drafting him and then flipping him to the Sixers right after.

I think if a trade does happen, it will be entirely dependent on if somebody that the Sixers are after falls to 13.

Agreed.