Soccer without the goalie?

Real Deal

I think hockey is UFC, the difference is you are armed with expensive stick and blade shoes to bash people and equipped with helmet, and you fight on ice. I mean everytime I see Barry Melrose or Matt Barnaby talking about their NHL games, I see two people fight and the refs let them fight!

And the adult fans in the stadium with their children cheering... "son, I want you to become a NHL player one day".

It's all I know about hockey, I don't like it.

Edited by Snake

I think hockey is UFC, the difference is you are armed with expensive stick and blade shoes to bash people and equipped with helmet, and you fight on ice. I mean everytime I see Barry Melrose or Matt Barnaby talking about their NHL games, I see two people fight and the refs let them fight!

And the adult fans in the stadium with their children cheering... "son, I want you to become a NHL player one day".

It's all I know about hockey, I don't like it.

I kno man and they fight eachother because they are mad that they are playing such a crappy sport where the equipment is super expensive, they are also mad because they are inbred Canadians, hur hur hur.

I don't like to watch stop-and-start sports like Baseball and American Football, one-on-one sports like Tennis, and low scoring sports like Soccer and Hockey.. which only leaves Basketball as far as I know.

That said, no goalies in Soccer would mean a higher scoring game. Since it's a team game with no stoppage of action, it might peak my interest.

No Snake, that doesn't mean I want 150 point games or that I cheese with superstars in video games. I do enjoy the defensive end of basketball as well and overall team play, and everything that makes the game competitive. I just get impatient when I'm watching Soccer for 10 minutes and there is still no goal scored. Not to mention sometimes, or maybe most of the time for what I know about the game, you don't see a goal for 50 straight minutes, or even more. The lack of consistent scoring in Soccer makes it very hard for me to enjoy.

Edited by Poe

^It's not the goal :) it's the journey to the goal that people enjoy. Like when Ronaldo or Messi's on a break and there's only 1-2 helpless miniatures and a goalie... or a play leading to a cross or passes.

For instance, Spain is one of the favorites to win in this WC. They can easily score 4 goals against anyone if it's their night. If you had a crystal ball and told me a Spain game is going to be 0-0 I'd probably not watch it. But it's the anticipation for a goal that fans clamor. But if I watch through it and it ends 0-0 I'm not going to say, "screw thiz"... because I know on other days it could be very well 4-2.

Add some superstars with their skills that can wow you now and then.

There's something about World Cup that draws me into the sport... it's a sports game between nations. It's big and it's as if people from different countries suddenly are talking the same language. Maybe it's the camaraderie I'm looking for.

Nationality means nothing to me. Nobody has control over their birthplace, so belonging to a country is more of an accident than something you earned.

Anyway, Soccer seems to be about getting as many scoring opportunities as possible while limiting scoring opportunities for the opposition as much as possible. Taking away goalies would simply increase the ratio between opportunites and made goals, making the game more exciting for a guy like me.

Also, the anticipation doesn't have much reward when the goal is only scored like 1/10 of these scoring opportunities. Sure that can make the goal itself more exciting, but I just don't feel it's "worth it" when I have to wait so long for the goal to finally happen.

Nationality means nothing to me. Nobody has control over their birthplace, so belonging to a country is more of an accident than something you earned.

So you're saying if you're a soccer superstar you're not going to represent your country because you don't believe your being on your team is a choice of yours?

Or are you saying if you're born in Brazil, which is a favorite to win the whole thing in this WC, you're not going to cheer for Brazil because you don't think you earned your nationality?

How do you exactly "earn" a nationality? :unsure:

Anyway, Soccer seems to be about getting as many scoring opportunities as possible while limiting scoring opportunities for the opposition as much as possible. Taking away goalies would simply increase the ratio between opportunites and made goals, making the game more exciting for a guy like me.

Also, the anticipation doesn't have much reward when the goal is only scored like 1/10 of these scoring opportunities. Sure that can make the goal itself more exciting, but I just don't feel it's "worth it" when I have to wait so long for the goal to finally happen.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I've been through it where I thought exactly like you do now about soccer. I guess people can change.

How do you exactly "earn" a nationality? :unsure:

You don't. That's the point. There is no reason to be proud of where you are born because you have no control over it. You can only be proud of what you earn, not what's given to you by accident.

You don't. That's the point. There is no reason to be proud of where you are born because you have no control over it. You can only be proud of what you earn, not what's given to you by accident.

What? No reason to proud of where you are born? Why the heck not?

^So are you saying if USA shocks the world and wins World Cup, you're not going to be proud of them, not going to be excited, not going to celebrate... because you don't believe your being an American is your choice, but rather an accident?

The players as individuals should be proud, as well as the organization that put them together, the staff involved, and everyone a part of the USA Team's road to victory. But no, I myself would not be proud of them, at least no more proud than any other team that earns their victory. I have no part of the team whatsoever.

I would explain myself in much greater detail, but that would veer very far off topic. Just understand that I have a much different view on existence than anyone that at least I have ever met. I'd like to think it's a more realistic view, but I suppose it's only natural for me to think that.

Edited by Poe

• 2 weeks later...