Would Aldrich be a Top 5 Pick if he was Black?

Guest STL10

Guest STL10

That's not a racist statement. Just saying that the perceptions of Aldrich are clouded by the 7-foot white bust centers who came before him.

On what planet is 6-11 with a 7-5 wingspan and an NBA body is undersized? RT @benbecker1: Didn't Aldrich measure much shorter than expected?

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz0rnCaNIEX

http://www.draftexpress.com

Suspect that if Cole Aldrich was black, but the same exact player he'd go in the top 5 easily. Oden had no offensive game either. Just sayin--DraftExpress

LINK

Edited by STL10

This is true, Aldrich is white, big, and a great defensive player. But his color is what holds him back.

He's like a black quarterback.

Why do people have to use race as an excuse for a player who lacks athleticism and skill?

Yeah, you're right theres never been ANY good black QB's.

Why do people have to use race as an excuse for a player who lacks athleticism and skill?

I'm not trying to say Aldrich won't be good, I think he will be a future elite player in the NBA if he takes the right route, I'm just saying everyone is prejudice against certain colors in certain sports, and get this thought that they just won't do good if they are a certain color playing a certain place. Black QB's, White Big Men, Black Pitchers/Catchers, non white hockey players.

You just see it in all sports.

Edited by G9.

I'm not trying to say Aldrich won't be good, I think he will be a future elite player in the NBA if he takes the right route, I'm just saying everyone is prejudice against certain colors in certain sports, and get this thought that they just won't do good if they are a certain color playing a certain place. Black QB's, White Big Men, Black Pitchers/Catchers, non white hockey players.

You just see it in all sports.

Well I'm prejudice against talent (or lack there of), call me a crazy.

• Owner

I think some of you are sliding out of the discussion a bit. It's asking if teams would've selected him at 1-5 if he were black, not if he would be a better player.

So...if Cole Aldrich was a 6-11 true center, black skin, would more coaches/GM's considered selecting him higher in the draft? Would more have paid attention to his defensive skills?

People STILL slobber over Andrew Bynum being a true big. He's had three major knee surgeries, missed probably 50% of his games in the last three seasons. But even before he was drafted, he was a big deal and would've been selected top three had he went to college for at least one year.

Would Greg Ostertag be one of the top players in the game if he were black?

No but why don't you answer the question to the thread honestly.

Indeed he would have gone higher if he was black. I think many players would have gone higher if they were black. Look at Tyler Hansbourough. He sucks but he would have went a lot higher IMO if he was black. That's just how it is.

I think some of you are sliding out of the discussion a bit. It's asking if teams would've selected him at 1-5 if he were black, not if he would be a better player.

So...if Cole Aldrich was a 6-11 true center, black skin, would more coaches/GM's considered selecting him higher in the draft? Would more have paid attention to his defensive skills?

People STILL slobber over Andrew Bynum being a true big. He's had three major knee surgeries, missed probably 50% of his games in the last three seasons. But even before he was drafted, he was a big deal and would've been selected top three had he went to college for at least one year.

I wasn't trying to say he would be a better player. I'm just saying GM/Owners are more hesitant to pull the trigger on a White Center/Power Forward, or a Black Quarterback, White Runningback, Black Hockey Player, or anything else that just doesn't fit, even if the player is very good at what he does.

Aldrich is a beastly defensive player, but his color leads to doubt. Which makes NO sense. Who cares if he's white?

I wasn't trying to say he would be a better player. I'm just saying GM/Owners are more hesitant to pull the trigger on a White Center/Power Forward, or a Black Quarterback, White Runningback, Black Hockey Player, or anything else that just doesn't fit, even if the player is very good at what he does.

Aldrich is a beastly defensive player, but his color leads to doubt. Which makes NO sense. Who cares if he's white?

He's not better than Wall, Turner, Favors, Johnson or Cousins so I don't know what his color has to do with anything. Dude is going to be a solid role player in the NBA but that's about it.

He's not better than Wall, Turner, Favors, Johnson or Cousins so I don't know what his color has to do with anything. Dude is going to be a solid role player in the NBA but that's about it.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about the 5 people that would cockblock him, I thought that this was in general. If he was black I'd take him over Favors to be honest, I prefer defense over offense, and I'm sure with Aldrich's size offensive talent would come naturally in the NBA.

• Owner

Indeed he would have gone higher if he was black. I think many players would have gone higher if they were black. Look at Tyler Hansbourough. He sucks but he would have went a lot higher IMO if he was black. That's just how it is.

GM's didn't follow the rules with Andrew Bogut and Andrea Bargnani (#1 picks). Same with Adam Morrison and Mike Dunleavy Jr. (#3) and even Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love (#5).

• Like 1

I wasn't necessarily thinking about the 5 people that would cockblock him, I thought that this was in general. If he was black I'd take him over Favors to be honest, I prefer defense over offense, and I'm sure with Aldrich's size offensive talent would come naturally in the NBA.

LOL, no chance you take him over Favors. Aldrich has already reached his ceiling if you ask me. He's a strong defensive C but his offensive game leaves much to be desired and I'm not sure how much better he can become.

Favors on the other hand, has unlimited potential and IMO is going to have more room to improve his offensive game and is already a strong defender and an excellent rebounder.

Hell no I wouldn't take Aldrich over Favors. Favors has so much more potential to be a great player in the NBA while Aldrich seems to me like he will be mediocre at best.

LOL, no chance you take him over Favors. Aldrich has already reached his ceiling if you ask me. He's a strong defensive C but his offensive game leaves much to be desired and I'm not sure how much better he can become.

Favors on the other hand, has unlimited potential and IMO is going to have more room to improve his offensive game and is already a strong defender and an excellent rebounder.

You're right, I love Favors.

I'm failing right now at this conversation, so I'll just stop here.

Aldrich = Good on Defense. Whether he was black or not, still not a top 5 Pick.

Aldrich is like a Marcus Camby, but worse. Good on Defense and the Boards, but will never get you far as a starter.

Edited by G9.

No but why don't you answer the question to the thread honestly.

Here goes...

From what I know of Aldrich, he's a solid individual defender and rebounder with no lateral quickness and limited offensive skills. What GM would take him the top 5 if there were more talented players around him? He'd need to bump out other big men picked ahead of him, but Greg Monroe has terrific footwork and athleticism and should be able to create his own shot, Cousins knows how to use his body to score and rebound, and Favors looks like a versatile, talented player. It's a stretch to think a lottery team would value Aldrich over those players when they all project to have better offensive games.

The writer compares Aldrich to Oden, but Oden had a dependable right hook, was as strong as a bear, and had great shot-blocking instincts. He still has the raw talent to be the best big man of the draft (though he has to rank below Gasol, Noah, and Horford as of now).

Hansbrough also is what he is---a motor guy who works hard and can't create his own offense. Paul Millsap and DeJuan Blair were second round picks, Udonis Haslem went undrafted, Glen Davis was a second round pick, Ronnie Turiaf was a second round pick.

Jeff Foster was actually a 21st pick (ahead of all of those guys). Joel Pryzbilla was picked 9th. They suck and would have went a lot lower IMO if they were black. That's just how it is.

Micheal Vick was amzing when he played for the Falcons. And no, he' the player he is, the color of him wouldn't change how well looked he is by other people.

Edited by AllenIverson#1fan