NHL Draft 2010

Built Ford Tough

I guess this could've went in the offseason thread that is already on here, but I figured the draft is a big enough deal that it should have its own thread, even if there are only a handful of hockey fans on here (and I hardly even talk about hockey on here).

Like the NBA Draft last night, I think it is safe to say that the top 7 or 8 will be fairly straight forward. Hall will be going number 1 and Seguin will be going number 2. After that it will probably be Gundrandson going 3rd, Brett Connolly, Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley will be the next 3 picks (not in this order), although Connolly may fall due to concerns about his health and Ryan Johansen may jump into that top 6 group.

Then rest I imagine that Nino Niederriter, Jack Campbell and Brumistrov will probably round out the top 10, although Brumistrov may fall due to the fear of drafting Russians.

After that though, this draft is up in the air, at least from what I know, which isn't too much considering I focused on the NBA Draft as the Raptors had a lotter pick and the Leafs don't have a pick in the top 60 this year.

My cousin should be getting drafted, do you when the entire thing takes place ? I assume it isn't all in one sitting. Why do you think Hall is going first? After watching the interview on TSN with the Oilers GM last night I think Seguin is going first.

Who is your cousin?

The first round is starting right now and the rest of the draft is tomorrow I think. Not 100% sure of that, but I think that is usually how it is.

I think that Seguin makes more sense for the Oilers and I actually think that Seguin is going to be the better player. Not only does he play a more valuable position (center) instead of Hall being a winger, but the Oilers already have Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, Ales Hemsky and talented wingers like that so getting a center with the skills that Seguin has would be the best choice in my mind. I just think that Hall will go first because he has so much more hype around him and is the more marketable player.

I didn't watch that "Oil Change" documentary that was on TSN last night, so I could be wrong.

His name is Beamish, I think he is going to be a late round pick... he actually doesn't play in the OHL and plays Junior A level hockey instead, I think he's got a scholarship to a top school instead of playing in the minors

I think he is currently ranked in the 150s for prospects idk. Would be awesome if he got picked.

Regardless of whether or not they get picked in the first or second rounds, or even if they ever manage to play in the NHL, it is a pretty big accomplishment to be drafted considering.

I went to school for a year with somebody who may be drafted as well. A defenseman named Nick Amies who play for the Cowichan Valley Capitals of the BCHL. He used to play for the Vernon Vipers but he was traded this past season. Like your cousin, if he does get drafted he will be a late, late pick.

Connolly, Johansen, or Skinner for the Rangers, please.

If the Rangers could get somebody with Connolly's talents at 10 (they are picking 10th right?) it would be a huge steal considering he would probably be an absolute lock for the top 5 if he wasn't injured all year. He probably would've been a top 3 lock is he wasn't hurt. He scored 30 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old (I think he was 16 at least, might've been 17) and that shows some serious talent.

You have to wonder how his injury is going to effect him though.

If the Rangers could get somebody with Connolly's talents at 10 (they are picking 10th right?) it would be a huge steal considering he would probably be an absolute lock for the top 5 if he wasn't injured all year. He probably would've been a top 3 lock is he wasn't hurt. He scored 30 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old (I think he was 16 at least, might've been 17) and that shows some serious talent.

You have to wonder how his injury is going to effect him though.

Maybe he and Gaborik would have an instant bond over their chronic hip injuries.

Looks like it won't go as straight forward as I thought it would with Niederreiter going 5th to the Islanders and Johansen going 4th to Columbus (although it doesn't surprise me that they picked a center and he was the 2nd best one on the board).

I didn't think that Gormley and Fowler would fall as far as they have. It looks like one of them might fall to the 10th pick. At one point it looked like Fowler was going to be a lock for the top 3 and now he may fall to 8 or 9.

Ok, I am completely shocked that Fowler and Gormley haven't been drafted yet. If you would've told me that one of them would fall I would have a hard enough time believing it, but seeing both of them fall is just shocking.

And what the hell were the Rangers thinking? They basically drafted a goon, by the sounds of it, with the 10th pick in the draft when there are two potential elite defenseman on the board.

I just can't believe that Fowler and Gormley are still on the board and there is a realistic chance that Dallas won't draft either one of them as well with Turco probably leaving and them having hardly any goaltending depth, I can definitely see them drafting Jack Campbell, so they would fall even more.

EDIT: I don't see Fowler falling past the Ducks though.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Two dudes from Southern California drafted in the first round, and a couple more drafted later. Couple Florida guys drafted too. Coolest part of the draft so far, if you ask me.

Rangers traded Sanguinetti for a 6th this and a 2nd next from Carolina. He doesn't seem likely to have ever cracked the defenseman rotation, nice to see Sather stick to his word and build.

I don't think I have ever expressed my gratitude to the Rangers for drafting Sanguinetti in '06. The Flyers were set on taking him, but the Rangers grabbed him the pick before the Flyers went. So the Flyers "settled" for Claude Giroux. Thanks Rangers! :).

Edited by Phightins

I don't think I have ever expressed my gratitude to the Rangers for drafting Sanguinetti in '06. The Flyers were set on taking him, but the Rangers grabbed him the pick before the Flyers went. So the Flyers "settled" for Claude Giroux. Thanks Rangers! :).

Stick it :(